The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

hood clearance issue

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2011, 05:16 AM

hood clearance issue

Hello= to all, I was able to locate and purchase a toronado big block intake from an early 70's engine for my 1987 455 engine swap project. I am hopeful that this will free up some hood- to -air cleaner space..Will be installing sometime shortly hopefully before the Christmas holiday...Also, purchased a small block,1970 Olds. 350 and after running the block,head I.D. numbers it appears to be a W31 engine. Have not had time to remove the heads and measure the valve size yet, though.
Old December 16th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by panther80
Also, purchased a small block,1970 Olds. 350 and after running the block,head I.D. numbers it appears to be a W31 engine. Have not had time to remove the heads and measure the valve size yet, though.
The W-31 used exactly the same block and head castings as every other 350 Olds from the same model year. The W-31 harmonic balancer is much larger than on other Olds motors. All other differences are internal (cam profile, valve diameter) and cannot be determined without tearing down the motor.
Old December 16th, 2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by panther80
Hello= to all, I was able to locate and purchase a toronado big block intake from an early 70's engine for my 1987 455 engine swap project. I am hopeful that this will free up some hood- to -air cleaner space..Will be installing sometime shortly hopefully before the Christmas
The Toro stock air cleaner as well is low profile if you need more clearance...
Old December 16th, 2011, 04:32 PM

Exclamation Toro intake

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
The Toro stock air cleaner as well is low profile if you need more clearance...
Old December 16th, 2011, 05:11 PM

Bought a toro intake now my Q-jet carb. throttle lever will not clear the low profile intake..Using a 1 inch spacer would aleviate the problem,but if I have to space the carb,I might as well use the stock 4bbl intake....Help..I bought the intake to help with hood clearance issues in my 87 cutlass 442....
Old December 16th, 2011, 06:19 PM

I know you have the Toro intake.... what I said above is that besides the intake the Toro also had a low profile air cleaner assembly that will give even more clearance besides just the intake alone. Is there a way of modifying/cutting where it hits? The stock toro carb (quadrajet) did not hit and it was a quadrajet so something is different with yours....
Old December 16th, 2011, 08:57 PM

Exclamation Toro intake carb.throttle clearance

I think that the issue with my throttle lever clearance is at least in part due to my intake being an early smog intake and having that raised channel for smog/egr. Seems to be the biggest problem with my 87 " carb. or maybe a combination of the two. I prefer not to grind on that raised channel on the intake that is causing the interference because I am pretty sure that I canot grind out an inch of clearance. I might possibly be able to bend the bottom part of the throttle arm outward at a 45 degree to clear it. I will be looking for a toro air cleaner if and when I get the carb.throttle issue addressed...May simply have to buy a carb. for a TORONADA.....OUCH!!!!!!