The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

68 Turnpike Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2011, 07:50 AM

68 Turnpike Cruiser

I am new to these sites. I was looking up some parts for my 68 442 when I discovered this site. I live in Wisconsin where I only drive the car about six months out of the year and think about it and putz with it the other six months.

I have a 1968 442 Turnpike Cruiser. I am the third owner of the car. I have had it for 13 years now. I bought it from my father who had it during my childhood. The car is special to me because it is what I learned to drive in when I got my learners permit at 15 years old. It is also the car I drove to my high school prom. My father was a Oldsmobile mechanic in IA when the car came to the dealership, where his close friend (and co-worker) bought it.

The biggest flaw with the car is that I bought it at to young of a age. I built a 67 425 motor and put quite a bit of aftermarket stuff in the car. I enjoyed running it at the local drag strip for quite a few years. But now that I am a little older, and a family man, I would like to bring it back to stock. Luckily I still have the original equipment (400, rear end, ect.). I miss the days when I could get in the car and drive it anywhere and not have to worry about anything. It actually got good mileage before as well ( due to the extremely high gears, and stock engine).

For this winter however, I am just trying to get the 425 to run good.

Seems like a good site, I look forward to gathering some knowledge from some of you guys.

Thank you
Adam
Old December 16th, 2011, 08:01 AM

Welcome, there was just an article on the turnpike cruiser posted on another thread discussing 455 4b vs 2b. You probably have seen the article on Oldsmobile's goal to create a car with good mileage. This is a good group of people with interesting cars and backgrounds.

Lee
Old December 16th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome. This is the site to be on. It is great you have the car and that you saved the original stuff. Let me be the first of many on here to say "we need pictures".
Old December 16th, 2011, 10:21 AM

Welcome to the forum
Old December 16th, 2011, 10:56 AM

Thank you guys. I will post some pictures as soon as possible. I am trying to navigate my way through the forums to find out where the best place to purchase a rebuild kit for my original 400 would be, and not having to much luck. The usual places (summit, jegs, ect.) do not carry them for this engine. Do we have sponsors of the site that are dealers? A point in the rite direction would be appreciated.

Thank you
Adam
Old December 16th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Randy C.

Greetings to this site! You will like it a lot. There are many '68 "A" body owners here and lots of technical info ready to tap when you need it. Looking forward to your pictures!

Randy C.
Old December 16th, 2011, 11:30 PM

My buddy has one that he has owned about 15 years, works for Mahle, I'll try and find out if they have any kits.
Old December 17th, 2011, 02:59 AM
CQR

Originally Posted by WI68Olds
Thank you guys. I will post some pictures as soon as possible. I am trying to navigate my way through the forums to find out where the best place to purchase a rebuild kit for my original 400 would be, and not having to much luck. The usual places (summit, jegs, ect.) do not carry them for this engine. Do we have sponsors of the site that are dealers? A point in the rite direction would be appreciated.

Thank you
Adam
I ran across this ad yesterday. I've talked to the guy about an alum. radiator, but I've never bought anything from him. I know he lists it as 64-67, but he may be worth a call.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2753166335.html
Old December 17th, 2011, 05:19 AM

Thanks for the info. I will get a hold of that guy.
Adam