The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi folks

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2012, 05:43 PM

Hi folks

Hello all Just joined nice sight my friends call me Bob the rest..... oh well. I am from Oregon and pretty much stick with 60 era muscle. I am 54 and started collecting about three yrs ago. I like just about anything which has some history to it. Not much of a Bowtie fan principly because there everywhere. Not to say there not some nice ones out there. I suppose when the time comes it will be a 69,70 SS rat Chevelle. I have uploaded a few photos of vehicles I've finished and and a few in progress. just bought my wife a 67 442 documented numbers matching vehicle. I am heading to Pa this weekend to look at a supposed numbers W-30 66 4speed. IF it turns out to be real will upload photos upon return
Old August 7th, 2012, 06:52 PM

Welcome. Where in PA are you going? I know there are a few trac-pac's not too far from me, but know they are not for sale.
Old August 8th, 2012, 02:10 AM

archbald and it 's supposed to be Track Pack car...............Ya and made in Farminton
supposedly as is known never finish 101 accounting, so the plot thickens...... News at a 11:00

Last edited by Gonzo_V; August 8th, 2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old August 8th, 2012, 05:48 AM

Well, have a good trip in any case. I am not up on my 442 info as others are for the 67 and below, but if you need any help in determining it's authenticity, Kurt Shubert is one I would contact (Joe Padavano also of course). I recently saw a post (I think on this site), where someone wanted to determine what is correct for a 66 they wanted to look at. That may be of help, but it looks like you know what you are looking at. Have a safe trip. PM me if you want his email address but you should be able to contact him through this site or on the Wildaboutcars.com site (he is brand manager and admin on that site). It appears that the protect-o-plate and build sheets are the holy grail (a numbered trac-pac intake doesn't hurt)!
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:21 AM

Welcome, I would advise to check out that 66 very well. A Track Pack would not have a numbered air cleaner/shroud. A track pack can be done at any time and still be a track pack car. It would be nice to know if the car was era or restored with the W30 components during. It would be difficult to document a track pack without a sales slip from the dealer purchased. The addition of the track items in my opinion would raise the price over the 442 in the amount that the items cost to purchase without some sort of history. I would think an era install would be more desireable. I believe my 67 Track Pack was era and it was driven hard on the strip. The result is a lot of broken mechanicals, engine, trans rear. So to have original items I would think to be rare.
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:46 AM

Thank you Oldsmaniac. I was hoping someone like yourself would add some accurate info in case Gonzo V was looking for some!
Old August 8th, 2012, 09:32 AM

Welcome to the forum. Take a look around and have fun.
Old August 8th, 2012, 12:11 PM

Oldsmaniac, wouldn't the original 54 66' Track Packs made for NHRA have been numbered on the intake? I am pretty sure a friend has #21. ???
Old August 8th, 2012, 01:25 PM

I am not an expert on these but from what I have learned in my 40 years of being an Olds Guy there were around 54 Factory W30 cars in 1966 and all of these had a numbered shroud. The package was also available from dealers over the counter to customers and could be customer or dealer installed. As far as I know these were not numbered shrouds. So a numbered shroud should be on a factory car and not a dealer or customer install. This is what I have come to know but if I am wrong I would like to be corrected. The dealer or customer instaled packages were later called Track Pack cars to note that they were not one of the factory 54 which would be a W30.

Last edited by Oldsmaniac; August 8th, 2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: more info
Old August 8th, 2012, 02:25 PM

Sounds good to me! Thanks for the clarification! I am certainly no expert myself. I just know enough to get into trouble sometimes!
Old August 8th, 2012, 02:49 PM

66/67 W machine

I've been told any LANS built W-30 all have a E stamped on cowl tag right side just under the Co in the General Motors Corporation at top of tag?

dataPlate442_4.jpg (82.0 KB)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dataPlate442_4.jpg (82.0 KB, 9 views)
Old August 8th, 2012, 05:21 PM

I have not heard that but I am no expert. Perhaps a new thread with 66 w30 in the header will draw correct info on that. There are some guys here that know a lot about these...