The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello, New Olds Owner - '56 98 Holiday

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2016, 08:01 AM

Hello, New Olds Owner - '56 98 Holiday

Good morning everyone! I just recently picked up a 1956 98 Holiday sedan. It's pretty rough right now, but hopefully I can do something with it. The body and trim are in good shape, everything else not so much. It has no engine or transmission and the previous owner took out the dash. I'm not sure exactly how it should be built, but at this point there is no reason to try and keep it stock. I know that I can buy a windshield for it, however, I have been having trouble finding a rear window. The rear window would be interchangeable between a '55-'56 Buick 4-door hardtop, correct? Anyway, I got the car incredibly cheap, the guy that had it basically just wanted it gone so I couldn't pass it up. It even has a title! Originally, it was a gray and white car. Based on the trim tag it was a California built car and as far as I know it has been a CA car since it was new. I'm sure I'll be on here a lot for input on this car, but it's going to be a long process. I just can't bring myself to part it out any more than it already has been. Thanks!

-Bazil

Old August 9th, 2016, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. You have quite the project there. The Vintage forum has a lot of info and a great group of guys. Post a list in the Parts Wanted forum.
Old August 9th, 2016, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome to the site. You have quite the project there. The Vintage forum has a lot of info and a great group of guys. Post a list in the Parts Wanted forum.
Thank you! I'm sure I'll have a long list of parts. It's going to be a long project, but it should be an interesting one. Thanks again!

-Bazil
Old August 9th, 2016, 02:27 PM

Smile

Welcome to Classic Olds forum.In the vintage section is where most Mid 50's owners hang out,and where most of their post will be.Ask questions there and you will find lots of good advice and help. There's a post there called '54-'56 Owners ,you will enjoy seeing many '54-'56 models. CTC Auto ranch in Texas has a curved back glass in a1956 Buick Century 4dr. Hardtop. Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (84.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Rocketowner; August 9th, 2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old August 9th, 2016, 03:25 PM

Welcome aboard.... Love the mid fifties Oldsmobile's.

Just looking at the pictures you provided the body sure looks strait and would be a good start but how carefully did the previous owner remove the dash? Hopefully it and other parts were not cut out recklessly. If it were mine I would seriously think about finding a parts car because there are many dollars worth of parts missing with what you have there and to buy them one at a time would be very expensive in my humble opinion.

If I may where in California are you located the area looks some what like Grassvalley/ Nevadacity area.
As mentioned above drop on down to the vintage forum and say hi, good information and people hang there...... Lost in the fifties ...Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; August 9th, 2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old August 9th, 2016, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Welcome to Classic Olds forum.In the vintage section is where most Mid 50's owners hang out,and where most of their post will be.Ask questions there and you will find lots of good advice and help. There's a post there called '54-'56 Owners ,you will enjoy seeing many '54-'56 models. CTC Auto ranch in Texas has a curved back glass in a1956 Buick Century 4dr. Hardtop. Larry
Thank you very much! I'll be sure to give them a call and see if they still have the back glass. Not an easy thing to find. Thanks again!
Old August 9th, 2016, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Welcome aboard.... Love the mid fifties Oldsmobile's.

Just looking at the pictures you provided the body sure looks strait and would be a good start but how carefully did the previous owner remove the dash? Hopefully it and other parts were not cut out recklessly. If it were mine I would seriously think about finding a parts car because there are many dollars worth of parts missing with what you have there and to buy them one at a time would be very expensive in my humble opinion.

If I may where in California are you located the area looks some what like Grassvalley/ Nevadacity area.
As mentioned above drop on down to the vintage forum and say hi, good information and people hang there...... Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Thanks for the welcome! I'm right in Loomis but the car came out of Grass Valley! Like you stated, the body is in great shape. From what I can tell, the dash was removed carefully. I have the majority of the trim and other miscellaneous pieces that are in the trunk. I'm going to try and start disassembling it this weekend so I can really tell what I'm up against. Regardless, it will be a long process but it really is a unique car. Thanks again.

-Bazil
Old August 9th, 2016, 05:37 PM

I am not sure how big the fad is in the Rat Rod world, but I have a friend here who's son has put '54-'56 Olds dashes in the last two that he's built. If that catches on, these dashes may get hard to come by.I don't blame them,I've always thought they were the best looking dash of any car ever built. Larry
Old August 9th, 2016, 05:42 PM

I am not sure how big the fad is in the Rat Rod world, but I have a friend here who's son has put '54-'56 Olds dashes in the last two that he's built. If that catches on, these dashes may get hard to come by.I don't blame them,I've always thought they were the best looking dash of any car ever built. Larry
They really are nice looking. The guy that I got the car from actually took the dash out, restored it, and it's now hanging up in his shop. Made me sad but he was not going to part with that dash.
Old August 9th, 2016, 09:27 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Although the dash in my 54 is a little different than the 56, it is one of the most photographed parts of the car. People take lots of pictures of it at car shows. You know that was Harley Earl at work when you look at it. As mentioned, the car looks very straight and rust free. I think that model is outstanding when it is painted red and white. That is going to make a very nice car. I always like to see somebody bring one back from the edge. Thank goodness it did not go to the crusher. If you can find a parts car it would probably be worthwhile. Do a build thread on the car so we can see your progress. And I almost forgot to say "Welcome".
Old August 10th, 2016, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Although the dash in my 54 is a little different than the 56, it is one of the most photographed parts of the car. People take lots of pictures of it at car shows. You know that was Harley Earl at work when you look at it. As mentioned, the car looks very straight and rust free. I think that model is outstanding when it is painted red and white. That is going to make a very nice car. I always like to see somebody bring one back from the edge. Thank goodness it did not go to the crusher. If you can find a parts car it would probably be worthwhile. Do a build thread on the car so we can see your progress. And I almost forgot to say "Welcome".
Thank you! I'll get a build thread started on it soon. They are beautiful cars when they are all done. I think the fact that it's a 4-door hardtop was what drew me to it. Such a unique body style. Thanks again!

-Bazil
Old August 10th, 2016, 07:45 AM

Don't know how close you are,but there's a 1956 Olds PartsCar for Sale in Empire Ca. (Listed 7/23/16) on claz.com for $1600. It's a 4 door sedan so the window would be different,but you could remove what parts you need then resell the rest. www.reachhoo.com/ads/73719716 Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; August 10th, 2016 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Can't r ect
Old August 10th, 2016, 10:00 AM

Don't know how close you are,but there's a 1956 Olds PartsCar for Sale in Empire Ca. (Listed 7/23/16) on claz.com for $1600. It's a 4 door sedan so the window would be different,but you could remove what parts you need then resell the rest. www.reachhoo.com/ads/73719716 Larry
Thanks for the link! At first it wouldn't load, but I eventually found it. It's a nice looking car, minus the quarter damage. I'm probably a ways out from a parts car. I just need to start taking everything apart and find out what I need. I haven't decided if I want to do a street rod or a relatively stock appearing car. It sure would make a cool street rod. Anyway, thanks again for the link, it gives me an idea of what a parts car should go for.

-Bazil
Old August 10th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think a car that looks bone stock with something like a 455 or LS2 under the hood would be way cool.
Old August 10th, 2016, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I think a car that looks bone stock with something like a 455 or LS2 under the hood would be way cool.
That's kind of what I was thinking... a nice modern engine/transmission setup with a clean stock appearance. Thanks!