The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi, first post

Old April 4th, 2015, 05:53 PM

Hi, first post

Greetings from Manhattan.

After years of 80s and 90s Cadillac ownership ('87 Brougham and '93 Fleetwood Brougham, one bought, one inherited from an elderly relative), I've crossed over to the launching rocket and picked up a really nice 1975 Olds 98 Regency. Whatta sled! I thought the downsized '77-'96 C Bodies were big cars. I was wrong. Also my first big block, which has been a revelation, even in its detuned state. So far, I've figured out from the VIN that she was built at the Linden, N.J. plant, which got knocked down about 10 years ago.

As an urbanite, I don't do much driving other than for pleasure, so, thankfully, gas mileage is not a concern, because so far I'm seeing about 10-11 mpg. But the torque is incredible, as is the smoothness and ride; recently took her on a 200 mi shakedown cruise upstate and what a feeling over the open road. Planning a longer roadtrip this summer.

I'm not a mechanic but I try to figure out how to do things when I have the time (also let's face it Manhattan is enough money already w/o paying for every little issue with a car). I like this car so far because it's so easy; so little wiring and no computer complications. Waiting on a factory service manual in the mail that I bought off ebay, so I can get to know the car a bit better.

Working on some minor issues at the moment, got some new fender fillers, and eventually will need to do some work on the brakes. I will post some pictures once the fillers are on, but suffice to say she's powder blue with a blue regency interior, about 75K miles. Little old lady estate car, and seemingly the only '74-'76 full-sizer I've seen without a vinyl top.

At the moment my main issue is the heat is stuck on, well, heat. Which was nice until about a week ago when it was 20 degrees all the time, but not so much now. So presumably something to do with the blend door, but I don't even know yet if they had those actuators you find in newer cars back in '75 or whether there's some ingenious, mechanical pulley system operated by General Motors elves back there and they're on strike or something. I will post about that in the appropriate forum.

Looking forward to the good feeling of having an Olds around me.
Old April 4th, 2015, 06:34 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Welcome to the site. I saw your other thread, so if any solutions to your problem occur to me, I'll post there. Those elves can be very fragile once they're off warranty.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures when they materialize.
Old April 4th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, we do like pictures. Is there a water control valve in the rubber hose that feeds the heater core?
Old April 5th, 2015, 12:50 PM

Welcome from Sacramento, CA.
Old April 5th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Always room for one more

Welcome from Georgia. I have an 87 Brougham as well, what a wonderful car.

Also, is your screen name referring to a favorite car, or the whipped cream you make with a blender? Or in my case, a beater in an electric drill.
Old April 5th, 2015, 04:34 PM

Welcome!
Those big cars ride nice. I had a 1969 Oldsmobile 98 for a short while and I loved it.

Good luck
Old August 9th, 2016, 03:10 PM

Belated return to the forum, life got in the way. Anyway, here she is earlier this year following a repaint in the original Horizon Blue.

And the Dream Whip signifies dream car with whip cream ride.
Old August 9th, 2016, 03:27 PM

Welcome to C.O. Forum. My dad had several big 98's back years ago and he always referred to them as his "Deep Ride". Looks very nice.good luck and enjoy it. Larry
Old August 9th, 2016, 06:30 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome back... As much as life may have gotten in the way, at least you didn't lose the passion for your 98...
Old August 10th, 2016, 06:43 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Sleds are the way to go! Welcome to CO!

Old August 10th, 2016, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dream Whip

Belated return to the forum, life got in the way. Anyway, here she is earlier this year following a repaint in the original Horizon Blue.

And the Dream Whip signifies dream car with whip cream ride.

Welcome to the forum Owen!
Old August 10th, 2016, 12:24 PM

Hello fellow New Yorker. I hope you have a garage for that boat. You should already know about the limited parking space in Manhattan.
Old August 11th, 2016, 08:57 AM

NICE! I learned to drive behind the wheel of a 1975 98 Regency! LOTS of car!

Enjoy the ride!

Aaron
Old August 11th, 2016, 10:23 AM

Welcome, Biiger the cushion the better the ...Oh wait a minute never mind big cars are cool LOL