The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello from Joe with a 51 Olds Convertible

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2018, 09:04 PM

Hello from Joe with a 51 Olds Convertible

Future project. 51 Olds
My dad liked collecting "junk" throughout out his life. As a child I remember throwing rocks or even shooting my bb gun at some for the "junk" in our backyard.
As an adult, I scratch my head and try to remember if I am responsible for breaking a window in one of the cars I now want to restore. I realize what a PIA it will be to find parts for a 67 year old car.
As a teenager I tinkered with a 1928 Ford Model A my dad had. I am a retired US Air Force veteran. I recently completed auto collision courses and am currently working on a 72 C-10 step side PU that has extensive body rust. I choose the C-10 since parts are cheap and plentiful, I can gain experience on the truck before I move to the Olds.

Last edited by Senchen; July 13th, 2023 at 06:30 PM.
Old September 21st, 2018, 06:48 AM
Jeff

You may even be able to still get brand-new sheet metal for that C10. GM stocked parts for those trucks for a LONG time. Check in at a Chevy dealer to see if they are still handling those parts thru their Service Parts Operations warehouses.

I used to work at SPO right out of college 25 yrs ago, so it's possible they stopped carrying the sheet metal. The 67-72's had a lot of parts in common, but perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly and it was the 73-87 sheet metal that they carried forever. Either way, check at the Chevy dealer. You'll be surprised what you might still be able to get. Your other alternative would be GM Restoration Parts: https://www.mycertifiedservice.com/g...ion-parts.html
Old September 21st, 2018, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, yeah we were all young and dumb.
Old September 21st, 2018, 12:16 PM

Jeff, I ordered my sheet metal parts for the C-10 from Summit racing. Parts are manufactured by Auto Metal Direct. I never though about checking with the dealer. Thanks
Eric, if I only knew...Thanks

Question, we have a 60 Olds Super 88 Wagon in our backyard. What's the best reference where I can find out what parts are interchangeable with 51 Convertible? Is car worth restoring? 60 Olds Wagon

Last edited by Senchen; September 21st, 2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2018, 07:12 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Senchen

Question, we have a 60 Olds Super 88 Wagon in our backyard. What's the best reference where I can find out what parts are interchangeable with 51 Convertible? Is car worth restoring?
The best reference would be a 1960 Oldsmobile Master Parts Book . It goes back to about 1950 . I have one, if you have questions PM me.
From my experience , very little interchanges between 1951 and 1960 Oldsmobiles . Small parts mostly .

That 1960 wagon is a rare car , but a complete restoration on one is a fools errand .
However , you are guaranteed to have the only one there , almost anywhere you go .
Old September 23rd, 2018, 11:17 AM

That Super 88 wagon is really rare. It was the lowest production of any Oldsmobile model for 1960. It looks to be pretty complete and not in too bad condition. I think its well worth restoring, or at least clean it up and put it on the market to finance your 51 build.
Old July 13th, 2023, 06:42 PM

Hi, finally moved back to where my car is "stored:' I want to start looking for a few parts for the 51 convertible. Where are the best places to find sheetmetal parts? Also want to start looking for parts or places to rebuild hydraulic convertible parts. My front bumper needs some repair. Buy another one (if I can find one) or have it repaired and rechromed?
Anyone going to SEMA this year?

Cheers
Old July 13th, 2023, 07:39 PM

For hydrolic cylinders try Hydro-E- liictric They are probably the largest in classic car top lifting cylinders. If you are talking about com pleat top metal replacement, used is your best or only source that I am aware of. You have picked neat cars to save, but not necessarily the most economist to get 67-year-old parts. Ebay is your best friend sometimes, try Classic Olds classified parts wanted and when you ask for parts get detailed description, pictures or part numbers or mistakes will be made... Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Old July 13th, 2023, 11:09 PM

Both cars are super cool. Would love to see more pictures of both. The 51 is a factory red car? There are plenty of us wagon lovers here. That 60 is too cool.

Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile 👍
Old July 14th, 2023, 03:02 AM

Good to know your getting your Oldsmobile projects rolling.👍

Make sure you post some pics of your Chevy truck too.
Old July 15th, 2023, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Both cars are super cool. Would love to see more pictures of both. The 51 is a factory red car? There are plenty of us wagon lovers here. That 60 is too cool.

Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile 👍
Hi, to the best of my knowledge it is factory paint. My dad was never into looks, it was more function.
Old July 15th, 2023, 03:35 PM

Tedd, thanks for the info. I was hoping to find parts but who knows, cylinders could be rusted out by now (I'd be surprised if there is any fluid in the cylinders).
Old July 15th, 2023, 04:31 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Senchen
Tedd, thanks for the info. I was hoping to find parts but who knows, cylinders could be rusted out by now (I'd be surprised if there is any fluid in the cylinders).
If the cylinders are rusted, they are toast. They are crimped together and cannot be re-built.
Fortunately, Hydro-E-Lectric makes new ones.
These old systems used brake fluid. Brake fluid absorbs moisture and rusts things.
I would recommend that after replacing the cylinders, getting the pump re-built, and flushing the lines.
That you fill the system with DOT 5 silicone brake fluid. DOT 5 does not absorb moisture.

Does it have power windows or seat? Those each have a similar cylinder too.

Hydro-E-Lectric (hydroe.com)

Last edited by Charlie Jones; July 15th, 2023 at 05:06 PM.