The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Disc Brake Specific Parts

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2009, 08:40 AM

Disc Brake Specific Parts

Hello,

Are disc brake control arms identical to drum brake control arms for 68-72 cars? Are there any other specific suspension parts that are different?

Thanks.
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by olds70supreme
Hello,

Are disc brake control arms identical to drum brake control arms for 68-72 cars? Are there any other specific suspension parts that are different?

Thanks.
Nope, all interchangeable. Now, depending on the model and options, there may have been differences in shock valving or suspension bushing stiffness, but those distinctions have been lost with one-size-fits-all replacement parts.
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:21 PM

Thanks. So basically, if I were swapping from drum to disc the only disc brake specific part that cannot be had by walking into a parts store is the spindle itself? Bearings, rotors, even calipers I believe can be had from a parts store.
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by olds70supreme
Thanks. So basically, if I were swapping from drum to disc the only disc brake specific part that cannot be had by walking into a parts store is the spindle itself? Bearings, rotors, even calipers I believe can be had from a parts store.
Actually, it's the spindle and the caliper bracket. The bracket is a bolt-on part for the 64-72 cars. The steering arms ARE the same from drum to disk. You are correct, just about everything else is available either new or rebuilt from any auto parts store. The one other item that may be a problem is the proportioning valve. They are available as repros from specialty houses, but are not usually offered at the corner auto parts store. Also, the drum brake spindles can be matchined to turn them into disk brake spindles as shown here (first gen Camaros use the same spindles as 64-72 A-body cars):

http://www.pozziracing.com/brakes.ht..._brake_spindle