POSSIBLE disc brake conversion for disc brake cars 67-70

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2012, 09:42 AM

POSSIBLE disc brake conversion for disc brake cars 67-70

OK folks, don't become too excited yet, as this is just preliminary info. I have the scarebird kit on my Delta with the original drum brake spindles. Awesome kit, by the way. I just took the front end apart to do some detailing and thought to myself, "wonder why these caliper plates don't fit the disc brake spindles."

Well, I happen to have a set of disc spindles here, so I pulled them out and mounted the plate up. THEY FIT!!!!! The only thing I see different is the upper mounting hole flange is machined down more than the drum spindle, so you will need a small spacer (1/8"-1/4") behind the plate and POSSIBLY a slightly longer bolt (probably not).

The same bearings are used on drum and disc cars as well as the same rear seal, which tells me the spindle shaft is the same. I held up the 2 spindles next to each other and everything looks identical, except for the upper hole.

I say POSSIBLE conversion because I have yet to take any true measurements, but if the only difference between drum and disc spindles is the upper mounting hole, then this is very feasable.

Gonna talk with the guys over at scarebird and see if they are interested in doing some R&D with this new info.

While not exactly cheap, this will definitely alleviate the problem of not being able to find original rotors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
disc mount.jpg (22.2 KB, 228 views)
spacing.JPG (106.5 KB, 177 views)
spacing 2.JPG (66.5 KB, 195 views)
Old February 11th, 2012, 07:33 PM

Thanks Mo. Interesting even though my 65 Delta was drum/drum? Now that I have a heater in my garage I may finally finish my Scarebird conversion. I still need to put in a prop valve and am needing to put in a modern (dual bowl) master. Any suggestion on the mc?
Old February 12th, 2012, 06:30 AM

Depends on how "modern" you wish to go. You could get a disc brake mc made for the 67-70 cars, which should be a bolt on process.

I plan on putting discs on the rear which mandates a bigger mc. I got an aluminum mc and booster from a 1990 Custom Crusier, which has a 1 1/16" bore. Works fantastic, but some minor mods were needed.
Old February 12th, 2012, 02:15 PM

Kanter now makes a complete set up for disc brakes. Rotor, calipers, bearings, portioning valve, the works. $1100 but it has everything needed. Dean
Old February 12th, 2012, 04:57 PM

I'm a resto mod thinker but I'd like things to have the stock general appearance. So I'd more likely see myself with a MC like Mo suggested. Even if I got a wildwood I'd paint it! If someone came up with a kit for the rear brakes I'd bite. The Scarebird deal worked for me. Hundreds less than SSBC's kit.
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:46 PM

CMitchum, go with the original 67-8 mc, you'll be happy.

Dean, I'm not seeing anything for the 65-70 cars on the Kanter website. did you speak with them? They are listing a 61-5 kit, but if I'm not mistaken, the spindles changed in 65, through 70.

Last edited by Mocephus; February 22nd, 2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:43 AM

My bag. You are right, they don't show anything after 64. They do say that they are adding kits everyday so a call may bring some fruit. Dean
Old April 1st, 2012, 08:17 AM

Mocephus,

See if this makes sense. I've installed my Scarebird front disc conversion on my 65 Delta. I am planning to use a Centric dual bowl M/C 103.62018 (fits 1967 Delta). Right now I have the single line from the old single bowl M/C going to the stock "1 in, 4 out" distrib block. I have not driven the car in this set up except int he driveway!

The way I see it I will be needing a line running for the m/C to the prop valve and then on to a distrib block (1 in 2 out) to serve the rear drums. Then the line from the M/C to another 1 in 2 out block for the front. Now, I was over on inline tubing.com and saw this part blk 202LP which seems to take care of the distribution nicely, I would only seem to need the prop valve between the M/C and the block they supply.

Does this make sense?

Last edited by CMitchum; April 1st, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:02 PM

CMitchum, that Dist. Block looks like it'll work, but I think your layout of the components is off. From the M/C, you'll have 2 lines running down to that new block. From there, you'll have 2 lines running to the left and right front wheels. You'll also have 1 line for both rear brakes. It is right there, at the 1 line hookup, where the prop valve should go, after the Dist Block. The prop valve is only meant to keep the rear brakes from locking up.
Old April 4th, 2012, 04:59 PM

Thanks Mo,

I ordered and have received the dist block from inline and as we expected, it has 3 outlets (2 for front and 1 for rear) They say it isolates the front from rear flow even within the block so I thought the prop could have been between the M/C and the distrib block. But if it comingles the fluid then the prop valve HAS to be after the distrib. block. I'll put it after the block as you say.
Old October 12th, 2014, 09:02 PM
67 heavy metal

I am glad I found this thread it gives me a lot of answers to what I have been wanting to do with my 67 delmonts.
Old November 28th, 2016, 08:30 AM

Hi, Did we ever confirm if the scarebird kit will work with the disk brake spindles? With minor mods... ty. Would be nice not to have to buy drum spindles just to convert back to disc.
Old October 1st, 2021, 09:45 AM

I also believe older Caddy rotors are a good match as well. I forget the exact model off hand but I believe it is some where between a 68 and 71 Caddy Eldorado or Fleetwood. I have to double check other posts - it has been awhile.