The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Cadillac in an Oldsmobile Forum?!?!

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2017, 02:59 PM

Cadillac in an Oldsmobile Forum?!?!

Howdy Folks,

My name is Joe and I have owned my Grandfathers 89 Cadillac Brougham for around 15 years now. I'm an engineer for Honda and work on the Civic and CR-V currently in dimensional assurance, essentially make sure the parts we get are vaguely similar to the drawings

I come you seeking guidance in the ways of the Oldsmobile Engine. I just picked up most of a 455 that I hope to put in the Caddy's 307 over the next... while... probably a while... but first I need to finish putting the 455 back together. First step is going to be getting the heads assembled, or buying a set of assembled heads depending on what I decide, so that will probably be my first real post here!

Looking forward to learning from you all!

Joe
Old June 26th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. There have been a few Cadi's here, although I don't recall one with a transplanted 455. Post some pics.
Old June 26th, 2017, 03:21 PM

Here are the best pictures I have of it currently, little older, little more patina now but I love it: http://imgur.com/a/0Lmi2

I have a dream of having the 455 re-assembled by August and the swap by early September, we will see if that happens...

I'm digging the Cutlass!
Old June 26th, 2017, 03:51 PM
Old(s) Fart

You can certainly do this, but it's a little more work than the 350 Olds swap due to the deck height difference of the 455. Use the Caddy 307 engine mount brackets and frame mount clamshells - these bolt to the 455. Use the W/Z exhaust manifolds. Use the 307 water pump, pulleys, and accessory brackets, however you'll need to make minor mods to the brackets.

Old June 26th, 2017, 04:07 PM
Administrator

What are you going to use for a transmission?
Old June 26th, 2017, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You can certainly do this, but it's a little more work than the 350 Olds swap due to the deck height difference of the 455. Use the Caddy 307 engine mount brackets and frame mount clamshells - these bolt to the 455. Use the W/Z exhaust manifolds. Use the 307 water pump, pulleys, and accessory brackets, however you'll need to make minor mods to the brackets.
Aye everything I read said the wee taller deck height added just enough pain to be noticable, but the price was right and its just novel enough to be worth it lol. Nice info there! Pictures even! Definitely a solid decision to come here Keeping the electronics of the Caddy all happy is the daunting task in my mind... so...many... vacuum lines....

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
What are you going to use for a transmission?
Umm, in the name of simplicity, I'm probably going to look into an upgraded 200R4, I'm not really looking for a lot of performance out of this and I would like to keep overdrive and lockup converter if possible. I know the Grand National guys probably have created a market to make them somewhat sturdy.
Old June 26th, 2017, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 7.6Brougham89
Aye everything I read said the wee taller deck height added just enough pain to be noticable, but the price was right and its just novel enough to be worth it lol. Nice info there! Pictures even! Definitely a solid decision to come here Keeping the electronics of the Caddy all happy is the daunting task in my mind... so...many... vacuum lines....

I don't know much about the electrical systems on later model stuff, Joe and others are way more knowledgeable.

Umm, in the name of simplicity, I'm probably going to look into an upgraded 200R4, I'm not really looking for a lot of performance out of this and I would like to keep overdrive and lockup converter if possible. I know the Grand National guys probably have created a market to make them somewhat sturdy.
Yes the GN guys have perfected the 200R4 trans however with a cost.
Old June 27th, 2017, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Yes the GN guys have perfected the 200R4 trans however with a cost.
That's what I figured. When the time comes if I can figure out how to get something else in there I might do so. The plan is very much a cruiser though so the OD really appealing
Old June 27th, 2017, 10:04 AM

Cool project.

Last edited by Olds64; June 27th, 2017 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Oops...
Old June 27th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
Cool project. You can avoid the hood interference issue by running a cowl induction hood; or better yet, just get rid of the hood altogether.

What "hood interference problem?"
Old June 27th, 2017, 03:02 PM

Cool project.
I'm pretty excited about it! Need to finish my shopping list. I've got a set of bare J Heads but rebuilding them seems like its still pretty pricey. Kinda like to find a set of used nicer heads and spend my money that way no dice thus far unfortunately.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

What "hood interference problem?"
Don't be scaring me like that lol, I hadn't planned for any hood activity
Old June 27th, 2017, 04:24 PM

junk the "J" heads. a warmed over 200r4 will be fine as long as you don't go to the track with slicks on.don't forget a new or modified trans crossmember to allow dual exhaust.
Old June 27th, 2017, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by jcdynamic88
junk the "J" heads. a warmed over 200r4 will be fine as long as you don't go to the track with slicks on.don't forget a new or modified trans crossmember to allow dual exhaust.
I'd like to, they look awful ratty. Would like to find something used, but no leads thus far. Caddy will never go the the track and never have anything but the stock white walls on it so I was hoping it would be sufficient!
Old June 28th, 2017, 10:05 AM

The J heads should be fine for a cruiser. If you want to rebuild them on the cheap ask your machinist about knurling the valve guides and just have the valves and seats lapped. I think the valve seats are hardened on Js so you don't have to worry about that.
Old June 28th, 2017, 10:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

The J heads should be fine for a cruiser. If you want to rebuild them on the cheap ask your machinist about knurling the valve guides and just have the valves and seats lapped. I think the valve seats are hardened on Js so you don't have to worry about that.
^^^THIS.

People unnecessarily freak over J heads. Are you REALLY going to drag race an 89 Caddy? You'll be hard pressed to get the RPMs over 4000 in most driving of this car. Rebuild the heads you have - they will be fine for your application. And every single Olds head cast since the 1971 model year has induction hardened valve seats. Of course, that hardening only goes a few mils deep, so anytime the heads are cut for a valve job, you pretty much lose the hardened seat.

Find a machine shop that has a real caustic hot tank, not one of the new steam cleaner tanks. A real hot tank will remove any rust from the heads, including inside the coolant passages. Unfortunately since a real hot tank will destroy aluminum parts, most shops have replaced them with steam cleaners since most motors today are aluminum.
Old June 28th, 2017, 10:34 AM

As far as J heads go... my father; Oldsguy, had a 76 Olds 98 Regency with a 455 and J heads. The only modification it had was dual exhaust. That was the best highway cruiser I've ever driven. I've tried to recapture that with my 71 but haven't fully succeeded. Maybe because I haven't figured out how to turn back the clock 15 years so I can be 22 again. LoL.
Old June 28th, 2017, 05:05 PM

Certainly not planning on hotrodding it in the slightest, just doing the math on rebuilding them doesn't seem to add up to buying a used set. I'll give it another think. Thanks dudes
Old June 28th, 2017, 05:51 PM
Old(s) Fart

A rebuilt set is a known quantity (valve job, surfaced deck, new valve seals, etc). A used set is unknown. Your call.