The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Ain't my car; it's the wife's

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2015, 03:49 PM

Ain't my car; it's the wife's

'64 F85 Deluxe sedan. Was her Grandpa's. We've had it maybe 25 years, it spent a lot of time in a barn before we got it. 96K original miles. So far, I've had it fitted with front disc brakes, aftermarket air, TBI, electronic ignition, upgraded alternator. Redid the interior as close as possible to original. Added shoulder harness - it had dealer installed seat belts.

Still to do - rechrome bumpers, looking for the trim around wheel openings and the chrome along the bottom below the doors. Also needs paint touched up on interior, and some fix for the plastic chrome below the armrests. And lots of little things.

Sentimental value. Want to keep it in the family, but I want it safer if we drive it.
Old November 20th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, lets see it.
Old November 20th, 2015, 05:38 PM

nice car, nice its been kept in the family - more pics please
Old November 20th, 2015, 06:04 PM

You need to check out PPG Paints Omni.it's made to give the chrome appearance to. Plastic parts after preparation and sprayed over shiny black finish.$50 a pint will do a lot of area. They provide instructions and video. The black is called MTK 9700. Then the chrome is sprayed over the black shiny finish. The site I found out about Is (7liter.com). Also Killer chrome is also available on Home Depot online for $30 for 12 oz. spray. I've heard it gives a realistic "Chrome look" when sprayed over a shiny black finish. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; November 20th, 2015 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Correct
Old November 21st, 2015, 07:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by GoManVanGogh
Sentimental value. Want to keep it in the family, but I want it safer if we drive it.
Welcome. Cool car, and while I agree with adding things like disc brakes and seatbelts, don't kid yourself about it being much "safer". This car does NOT have a collapsible steering column, crumple zone front end, impact beams in the doors, impact-resistant fuel system, etc, etc. Yes, you can improve your odds of survival, but it will never be anywhere close to the safety of a newer car. For example, this car was never designed for the loads imparted from shoulder belts. Yes, you can add them, and yes they PROBABLY improve your odds of survival, but they don't have the factory engineering and testing behind them. Enjoy the car and understand the risks. Drive defensively.
Old November 21st, 2015, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the welcome

Let's see - I haven't taken that many photos, and some of them are documenting the ongoing work. That work is being done in Lancaster, PA, where I live by Horsepower Enterprises, LLC. I'm going to try and insert a pic of the car - prior to recent work - in front of their shop on a summer day.

Typical scene at Horsepower Enterprises. My car is turquoise...

Rocketowner - I've dropped your info off to the project manager, but they may have other chrome resources.

Joe - Of course, I know. This Olds did have the anchor points for lap-belts, and the B-Pillar looks quite sturdy. I'm a 3% survivor of an wreck in 2012, when a 17 year old girl thought it was OK to race on the roads. She lost control, crossed 2 lanes of traffic totaled my 2006 Prius, and broke my C-2 in 3 places. I'm aware of the use of airbags. My daily driver is an Infiniti M35h, with license plate "AN BEYOND".

I always drive defensively - especially when there are people around.

Last edited by GoManVanGogh; November 21st, 2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old November 21st, 2015, 08:32 PM

Which Fora Forums Forii should I be in?

With a 64 F-85 Deluxe, should I be in the Cutlass/442 forum? I think it's the one model A-Body for that year that did not carry the actual name Cutlass.

Thanks!
Old November 21st, 2015, 09:20 PM
same but different

Welcome to the site and thanks for sharing with us.

I gather your're a man who knows his limitations and doesn't mind driving an "old" car. I like it, and they ain't making anymore of 'em.

Don't get too hung up on what forum section your thoughts belong in. Its all good in my opinion.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 04:24 AM
Administrator

Just post in the forum you think is the closest to the subject category you wish to discuss. The Cutlass forum is fine for your car.