My igniter ain’t igniting - ignition isn't working

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2010, 11:07 PM

My igniter ain’t igniting - ignition isn't working

Working on a ‘69 88 and car won’t start, turnover or even click. Oil and cold idiot lights are on, but amp light doesn’t light up. Wondering if I have power, turned headlights on and the oil and cold idiot lights turned off. Been driving the car for weeks without issues.

Battery says 12.5v. I pulled the neutral safety switch and jumped it in case the switch was bad. Didn’t change a thing.

Replaced the ignition switch and nothing. Still oil and cold idiot lights.

Checked the starter and wires are secure. Starter was up against the exhaust, but I don’t think it could ground out. Pulled and had the starter tested and came out AOK.

With mounting frustration, I pulled the interior wire harness and tested continuity on the purple wire from the fuse block to the ignition switch and safety switch, AOK.

Checked continuity with all the power wires from the fuse block to the ignition switch and headlight switch, AOK.

It seems to me, if I solved the headlight problem, ignition problem would follow. Could a battery show full voltage but have no amps?

Anyone have a similar situation and able recommend ideas? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old July 21st, 2010, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by jugdish
........ turned headlights on and the oil and cold idiot lights turned off. ........
Clean the battery cable/terminal connections.

Norm
Old July 21st, 2010, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the replies. OK, 2 replies focused on the battery. I'm going to clean the battery, starter and ground and see what happens.
It's a convertible so I was assuming it was related to rustiness under the dash. I wasn't sure if pieces of the wire harness weren't getting a good ground.

If the battery shows 12v, how do I test to see if it's bad?
Old August 9th, 2010, 09:22 PM

Kept testing everything from the fuse block to the safety switch. Cleaned the negative connection at the block and that did it. Thanks for the help guys.