The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

77 back seat treasure

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2010, 09:02 AM

77 back seat treasure

This past weekend I had a "cutlass project" day and stayed in the garage from sun up to sun down, felt like a child in a toy store!

I focused on the interior. All of the seats, especially the front buckets, need an upholstery makeover and the carpet/pads needs replacement as well.

I decided to remove the seats and loose pieces of torn carpet in order to check the floor pans. There are a few spots in the pans on both sides that need repairing before I permanently reinstall new carpet/pads and seats.

While removing the back seats I placed the lower seat in the garage, washed it off and got it somewhat white again. Next, I removed the upper seat and placed it backside down on the ground so I could clean and wash it as well.

But before I put any water/liquid on the the seat a little voice told me to flip the seat over. I did and there it was....an original build sheet attached to the seat frame! What a rush to discover this back seat treasure!

When my Father got this car from the PO (original owner I believe) I asked numerous questions and questioned it's authenticity, features, and original equipment. I got answers but not enough to satisfy me. Not until now...

To my surprise the car is darn close to factory original. It has the W29 option! and I thought the car was a plain Cutlass S that had been repainted to resemble a 442...you'd think the original factory color matching SSIII wheels would have been a sign as well, duh.

If I'm reading the build sheet correctly, it was ordered blue 22. The white stripe 11A option is listed but the upper/lower color options say blue 22. I don't know if it was solid blue or if it had the stripe originally or not. I'll need some clarification on this at some point.

So here are my questions:

Should I carefully remove the build sheet and put it away in a safe place or leave it attached to the seat (from a collectors/value stand point)?

What is the correct name for blue 22, I plan on painting the car it's original color that's on the trunk (I think its light blue poly, not for sure though).

Does anyone have an option code decoder/book so I can see what's included in some of the option packages?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6385.jpg (51.8 KB, 35 views)
IMG_6395.jpg (69.2 KB, 59 views)
IMG_1451.jpg (57.7 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by macrover; August 18th, 2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:05 AM

I would remove the build sheet and put it in a document protector. That is what I did with my build sheet.
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Trying to remember member

That find is truly a golden treasure! Congrats!! That is in my opinion the most valuable piece of documentation you can have.
Do *not* leave it in the seat, it will just deteriorate. I suggest you carefully flatten it and put it in an acid-proof plastic sleeve. Make copies and put the original safely away, and just "use" your copies.
If you would, I would really like to get a copy for my ongoing research. I can help you with the codes. (You can email a scan to wmachine@shubes.net). You can post a scan here too, if you'd like.
It looks to be in great shape!
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Past Administrator

Nice find!
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:16 AM

Ok, that's what I needed to hear. Being tucked away for 33 years I'd hate to destroy/damage it and not have any build documentation. Besides, it would have more value in hand than being tucked away from sight. Thanks!
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:16 AM

It looks to be in great shape!
Yes indeed. Mine was in multiple pieces and quite deteriorated. You definitely have a keeper!
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:26 AM

22 is indeed Light Blue Poly.
Attached Images
1977-oldsmobile-pg01.jpg (41.6 KB, 15 views)
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:31 AM

Nice car, great find, and BTW - welcome to CO!
Definetely protect that original sheet - stick a copy back in the seat in its original position...

Another one from DFW, eh? What area? There are quite a few of us around...
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:51 AM

This is Awesome! I'm headed to get a document protector pronto. Any particular size?

The sheet is very legible as well! I'll surgically remove it when I get home, scan it, and place it in a protector/notebook.

WMachine - Thanks! So it is light blue poly...sweet! Now I'll have to figure out the 11A option and solid color upper/lower dilemma, to be or not to be...

I thought all 76-77 442's had the appropriate color stripe. Can't recall seeing a solid color 442 from those years or if that was a GM option...hmmm. Dunno...

Hey Lady/Rob. That was my thinking exactly, putting a copy back in the seat for future reasons.

I'm actually in the SW Ft. Worth area. Howdy neighbor!

Last edited by macrover; August 16th, 2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old August 16th, 2010, 10:59 AM

Welcome to CO

Nice find
Old August 16th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Cutlass Lover

How cool is that!!! I'm still wishing I could get the rest of mine out from under her package tray area. It's so old and crumbly. I'm still excited just to know most of it is still in there. The little piece that fell out, I put in an acid free sheet protector.
Old August 16th, 2010, 01:29 PM

I tell ya, if you could have seen my face when I saw it! That was the last thing on my mind...I did not think of finding any original documentation being outside the glove box or the GM Archives.

It made me feel like I had discovered a million dollar lotto ticket.

Thanks to another member here with a 77 442, It appears, based on some year specific literature, I may have figured out the 11A/upper-lower dilemma.

My car was originally painted blue (22) with a white (11) secondary color (A). The upper/lower, I believe, refers to the top of the car color whether it was solid color (no vinyl) or color coded vinyl and the lower being the actual body of the car.

So light blue poly (1976)/metallic (1977) with white stripe appears to be the original color combination for my car.**

**(the 76-77 paint chip charts have different names for light blue, unless poly and metallic are synonymous, dunno). Just an little detail I noticed between the charts.

I could be totally wrong, I'm guessing with my explanation...but it sure sounds good.

Last edited by macrover; August 16th, 2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old August 16th, 2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by macrover
**(the 76-77 paint chip charts have different names for light blue, unless poly and metallic are synonymous, dunno). Just an little detail I noticed between the charts.
I do not believe the the '76 and '77 light blues are the same. They have different Oldsmobile codes and different PPG numbers.
Old August 16th, 2010, 03:18 PM

Figured so, wanted to know for sure. I need to get a 77 paint chart to add to my records.

Wmachine, nice W collection!

After numerous sheets of paper and a few scans, I got a pretty decent copy of my build sheet (some of the lower text was cut off due to the rolled edges).

Time to put the original away and place a copy back on the seat. I'll use my copies for reference when needed...

For now, it's back to cleaning the interior. Stay tuned...

Thanks again everyone for your assistance.

Last edited by macrover; August 16th, 2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old August 17th, 2010, 06:40 AM

Kelvin: WELCOME TO CO! Several of us in the DFW area. North Texas Olds Club is having a Show'N'Go October 22-24 at the Marriott on HWY 121 (north of FW across from TMS), w/judging Saturday AM, and drive up to Denton for racing 4:55 PM on Saturday. Check out Announcements thread, then 2010 NTOC Zone Show. Would love to have you join us for a great weekend. We are hoping for 100 cars. Sorry for hijacking the thread. All on CO are welcome! Aron
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:28 PM

Hey Aron, glad to know there are members near home.

If time allows, I'll try to attend a local olds event. Although my 77 is in a slight resto mode at this time (highly doubt it'll be ready for a meet n greet by October).

I'll keep my eyes/ears open for future local events. It would be nice to meet some of the members from CO.

Thanks for the invite!
Old August 17th, 2010, 02:02 PM

Build Sheet

Forgot to post a copy of my back seat treasure.

So I thought I was going to make copies and store the sheet in a safe place. After looking at the sheet I'm curious to know what the codes mean/are.

If anyone can shed some light on the codes in the upper portion (sections 1 thru 106) of the build sheet that would greatly appreciated (the less than obvious sections of course).

There are a few options in section 107 that I'd like to know what the code are or what was included in the packages:

26X BIG 4 BLUE
FE2 Suspension PK
U21 RALLYE PACK
Y60 Accessory PKG
FUEL ECON AAA-RAN
BPR/CD

There's quite a bit of info on the sheet, just trying to understand what it all means.

Last edited by macrover; August 18th, 2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old August 18th, 2010, 06:46 AM

Photo...
Attached Images
442Buildsheet3void.jpg (158.3 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by macrover; August 18th, 2010 at 06:54 AM.