The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

72' Supreme in KC

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:19 AM

72' Supreme in KC

My father has always been an oldsmobile guy and when I turned 16 he found me a jewel of deal for my first car. He went to an estate auction in 1999 to look at what the add said was a 83 cutlass supreme. This car supposedly had 13,500 miles on it. He called home to talk to me and said how would you like a 72 cutlass supreme instead. The car is a 1972 oldsmobile cutlass supreme, rocket 350/ 350 trans with Posi. Yes, it did have 13,500 miles on it. Interior was and still is perfect minus one minor defect in the seat. The car a little rust around the back window and some small spots behind front wheels on the fender. Its a bench seat car with a cloth, flower pattern interior. The car is black but the interior is blue. I am 99.9% sure its been repainted once. When Dad drove it home it still had the original tires steel belt tires on it. The car was a grocery getter maybe once a week for a lady. It was parked in thier barn for a little while also.
Anyway I parked it in the garage at my parents when I went to school. Needed something with some better gas mileage as i was going to be driving a ways.

A few months ago My wife as a fathers day present(My first one was yesterday) got it out of the garage and got it running again.(this all with a some help from her father).

I am really excited about getting back into this car. I also down the road will look into restoring my fathers car that has been sitting for a while.
1970 Cutlass sx- All original with 67,000 on the odometer. this car needs a complete frame off, but I am excited about the thought of getting behind the wheel of that thing.

Enough with backstory- I was curious about my 72.

Does anyone know if the cloth pattern bench is rare? I have not seen another one. Most all I have seen are full vinyl.

Looking forward to the information on this site and going to enjoy both of these cars someday!!
Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:54 PM
Past Administrator

I have heard of some funky patterned interiors in the MOPAR family but not Oldsmobile. Post some pictures and someone will surely be able to help you out. Welcome to CO. Congrats on fatherhood, this is my son's first year as a father as well.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 04:56 PM

Welcome to the site. You sound excited, its neat that your wife is on board with the car thing. Makes life a whole lot easier Post those pictures, we love pictures
Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:24 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

I'm a 69 guy so I don't know the answer. Hang in there a few secs and somone will.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:28 AM

Welcome. We look forward to seeing pictures.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:44 AM

Welcome to the site! I've seen a few cloth covered seats but don't remember a flower pattern. Yes, please post pictures. John
Old June 23rd, 2009, 06:42 AM

I will post pics as soon as I can, I am in Kansas city and the car is in Sedalia (half way between kc and Stl). Its being worked on, but should have it real soon!!!
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:52 AM
ya'll come back now....

i have a 1970 cutlass superme and it has those cloth insert on the seat i can post a picture later whwn i get home if you like...
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:20 AM

yeah that would be awesome. do you know if that was a special order deal. I am really trying to find what the original color was for the car. I am going to get it repainted pretty quick.
Old June 24th, 2009, 04:17 PM

congratulations on being a father, my car buddy and I are about to embark on an adventure including 14 hours of one way drive time to rescue a 1962 hardtop starfire from the woods of minnesota. And as our sons have turned 11-12 it is time that the next generation experiences the thrill...they will be coming along with us...and of course we will be stopping by the 2009 Olds Nationals on the way home to NC! You have much to look forward too.
Old June 24th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 72supremebeing
...... Its a bench seat car with a cloth, flower pattern interior. The car is black but the interior is blue.......

Does anyone know if the cloth pattern bench is rare? I have not seen another one. Most all I have seen are full vinyl.

Looking forward to the information on this site and going to enjoy both of these cars someday!!
Ok, here is what you're looking for. As I type this I'm looking at the original cloth samples from the Oldsmobile ordering guide. The Cutlass Supreme Hardtop Coupe came with custom (front armrest) bench seats, or strato bucket seats depending on what you ordered. Both were standard equipment.

The trim color you're describing is called Trim 43 - Blue. It is a combination of Orleans Cloth and Prima Cloth. It is only available with exterior colors 11 (cameo white), 24 (Nordic Blue), and 26 (Viking Blue). The seat was mostly cloth and trimmed in vinyl with a horizontal bar at the midpoints. the armrest, headrest and center divider area. The pattern of the cloth does have a "leafy" look to it. No, it is not rare. You could also get the sport bench seat trimmed in Morroceen vinyl only in Black, white or saddle. If most of the cars you have seen were vinyl, I would suggest you were looking at the plain Cutlass, or Cutlass S (Sport) models. From what I've seen, the popular trend in the 70's was to vinyl, but that doesn't mean all cars were made that way.

If your car is black, with a blue cloth bench seat, and the seat is original to the car, I would suggest that the car has been repainted. Oldsmobile didn't have any custom order combinations that I'm aware of. Hope this helps.
Old June 30th, 2009, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the Info Allan, That was exactly what I was looking for. I want to repaint the car. Probably the Viking blue as it is a darker blue color.
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thanks for the Info Allan, That was exactly what I was looking for. I want to repaint the car. Probably the Viking blue as it is a darker blue color.
You are most welcome. I think Viking Blue is an awesome color choice.
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:30 PM

Thumbs up Another new member

Hi All, Just joined the site this week. I have a 72' 442 I am currently restoring. I kind of did it bass ackwards. I had the body done about three years ago to make it look better. I knew there were some frame issues, but I thought it was still solid. I had it in last year for headers, and the guy at the shop showed me how bad the frame really was. It was rotten all the way through in the rear. I had a frame blasted and coated over the winter, new front end, disc brakes etc. We took the body off, and there was a lot of rot there as well....so new lower half of the firewall, floors, and rear quarters. Since I was going this far I am having them build a new Rocket 350 with bigger heads, cam, etc. I don't think it will be on the road this year, but it will be ready for spring 2010. Can someone tell me how to attach pics? Great site, everyone seems pretty cool. Thanks for reading.
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:45 PM

Code 19 Ebony Black was a special order color in 1972. With the blue cloth interior, you have a very unusual combination there. As much as I love Viking Blue (I've had five '72s in that color) I would absolutely leave it black!

Terry
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Captain of my ship

Welcome

Welcome Joe nice to have another Canuk though you are south of the U.S there in Windsor Posting pics is not too hard.When you look under this window you see the post reply button to post a response , click that button. a window will open where you can type an answer or question. below this window( scroll down ) you will see " manage attachments" click on that button and a new window opens up that allows you to browse your computer for pics. when you have found a pic then open that and do not forget to hit the "upload" button. A pic should attach itself to your message if it's not too big.