The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1966 cutlass holiday coupe, 330 high comp

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2015, 11:19 AM

1966 cutlass holiday coupe, 330 high comp

hi everyone this is my first post. I am rebuilding the car I grew up in and need some help finding some parts. my passenger side exhaust manifold is cracked and I am having a hard time finding a replacement. also I am confused as to whether I can buy premade headers that will fit? can anyone help me out?
Old November 28th, 2015, 11:43 AM

Welcome to the site! I can't speak to the header questions, but the manifold should be easy to find here. I've got one in Oregon, depending on your location it might be cheaper to purchase one close by. If you don't need the 1966 casting code but just a small block one that will fit there's likely dozens of members here with spares. Create a parts wanted thread for the manifold with your location asking for one nearby. Or create a new thread asking about the headers with that in the title to help people find your thread.

John
Old November 28th, 2015, 12:00 PM

Welcome this is a great site with lots of helpful people. Many of us have parts for sale and have lots of knowledge as well.

Enjoy

Larry
Old November 28th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Welcome, post some pictures of your car when you get a chance. As John and Larry stated a suitable manifold should be no problem. A set of headers on the other hand is. Kooks and American Racing Headers makes them for your sbo powered car. The problem is they are very expensive, $1k+. You may be able to find a set used if your patient and quick as they don't last long when placed for sale.
Old November 28th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by biddlesticks
hi everyone this is my first post. I am rebuilding the car I grew up in and need some help finding some parts. my passenger side exhaust manifold is cracked and I am having a hard time finding a replacement. also I am confused as to whether I can buy premade headers that will fit? can anyone help me out?
The 1964-67 Cutlass cars have a frame that is about 1.5" narrower than the one used on the 1968-72 cars. Headers for this application used to be readily available. Unfortunately, given the small demand these days, header manufacturers no longer list headers for this application. There are one or two vendors who do list them, but the price for those is quite high.

Depending on the specific tube routing used, SOME headers made for the 68-72 cars will fit the early ones, possibly with minor "tweaking" in a couple of spots. Others here can probably assist with specific brands and part numbers.

Used stock manifolds should be readily available used from a parts car. Post an ad in the Parts Wanted section.
Old November 28th, 2015, 01:43 PM

im in silverdale WA. ill post a parts wanted add thanks for the tips and welcome guys.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 06:18 PM
zeb

Originally Posted by biddlesticks
Old December 2nd, 2015, 07:35 PM
Administrator

The difference between the sbo and a bbo is height.
Old December 4th, 2015, 06:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by zeb
The difference in frame width on 64/67 A bodies is correct. Also, if I remember correctly, the flat angle of the exhaust manifold to cylinder head was different than the 400 engine. The numbers I seem to recall were 33 degrees & 37 degrees, {if memory serves} So headers for a 400 engine interfere to far inward.
Sorry, but memory does not serve.

There is no difference whatsoever in "flat angle of the exhaust manifold" (whatever that is). All 1964-1990 Olds V8 heads are dimensionally identical on the outside. The exhaust flanges on every single one of those motors is at exactly 45 degrees from vertical. One can interchange BBO and SBO heads and they will bolt up just fine (differences in port size and combustion chamber volume are an internal difference). As noted above, the ONLY external difference between a BBO and an SBO is the extra deck height. This naturally increases the width of the intake (that's called trigonometry). The manifolds/headers are different because the manufacturers have chosen to take advantage of the extra deck height to provide slightly more room for exhaust routing.
Old December 4th, 2015, 07:14 AM

Ok Joe if I understand what you are saying I could take a 350 Olds lets say and bolt up a set of C heads and all will remain the same? What about the intake manifold will it just bolt up with no changes?
Old December 4th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
Ok Joe if I understand what you are saying I could take a 350 Olds lets say and bolt up a set of C heads and all will remain the same? What about the intake manifold will it just bolt up with no changes?
EXTERNALLY all will remain the same. The C heads will have 80 cc chambers vs. 64 cc on the SBO heads. The SBO intake will bolt up but there will be a dramatic internal mismatch in the ports. There are SOME SBO intakes with enough meat to be port-matched to BBO heads - the Performer RPM is one such intake. Of course the BBO heads will have larger valves, but valve locations and valvetrain geometry are identical. Exhaust manifolds or headers will also bolt up. This has been done by a lot of people.
Old December 4th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Ben

Welcome from another PNWer...

Watch the local seattle craigslist. There is a decent ammount of olds stuff that shows up in the auto parts listsings on a regular basis. Look for someone selling a olds 350 block and ask if you can buy the manifolds (they will be the same for a 330).

You can also buy the thornton reproduction true dual manifolds taht will fit a 350, to get extra flow and eliminate the cross over plug that was on all the factory ones. They are a couple hundred dollars, but are new and should perform better than the factory ones.

Any pics of your 66?
Old December 4th, 2015, 03:47 PM

Thanks Joe. I knew the answer but not able to correctly detail the difference as you can and the previous post by you could have been misunderstood.

Thank you for clearing it up

Larry
Old December 5th, 2015, 06:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
Thanks Joe. I knew the answer but not able to correctly detail the difference as you can and the previous post by you could have been misunderstood.

Thank you for clearing it up

Larry
My whole point was to respond to the incorrect comment that there was some dimensional difference in the exhaust flange location. There is not. My response was not intended to be a definitive discussion of the differences between BBO and SBO heads.