1969 OLDS 98 motor cleanup

Old March 24th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Captain of my ship

1969 OLDS 98 motor cleanup

Well I finally got the wheelwells out and it was not too bad. I used some advice from ladyrob72 but replaced putty knife idea with a large screwdriver as it worked better. I used the large screwdriver to pry it up high enough and then a small thin srewdriver to pry over the lip. I removed the rad and cleaned it up , then checked for any leaks. Good news here as there are no leaks and it flushed out really quickly. I repainted it with a proper high heat black paint used for rads. It really stinks (smells bad). I painted the block but left the valve covers on and taped up plugs in so as not to get paint where I don't want it. same goes for tapeing tranny , top of oil filter and exhaust ports. The exhaust manifolds had to be taken to the machine shop to get planed now they need a little clean up and paint. Using VHT exhaust paint for the manifolds. Most of the parts removed have fresh paint and will have new gaskets. I will also put in new plugs and wires , maybe even new cap and rotor though they look good. It also has new trans filter and gasket as well as a new timing chain and gears set. The tranny will get cleaned and painted as well as firewall , inner fenders , A-arms etc. I have all new rad hoses and clamps as well as new vacuum lines. Carb has been cleaned up and ready to go back on. I need to paint the valve covers and breather which will be more difficult since they were chromed but the chrome is peeling off.Talking to a professional painter he says that it can be done but I have to make sure that I scatch up the chrome really well and use a godd epoxy filler primer to fill and smooth out by sanding and priming until it's completely covered. I already have the paint for them but will wait until it is painted and put on to let you all see it. Anybody got any info on setting up the carb when I put it on and get the car running. I will have to check the timing as well if I can get it running again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hubcaps 003.jpg (78.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg
hubcaps 005.jpg (94.8 KB, 11 views)