69-98 covertible cleanup

Old February 17th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Captain of my ship

Question 69-98 covertible cleanup

Well this is taking me longer than expected but I guess that is fairly common as most of you know that a plan tends to change the more you look at it. After stripping down the motor ( more than I planned ) I got input from y'all that I might as well check the timing chain. Not an easy task as it turned out but I did check it. The roller chain and gears looked in great shape and only had 3/4 inch deflection which I was told is acceptable. the gasket seemed stuck to the block so I added some permatex ultra gold put the plate back on and also put the waterpump back on so I had all bolts to crank plate down to get a good seal. I have been stripping and refinishing parts that I have removed , though lots more to do. I took advice and removed the transmission pan to change gasket and strainer. I have the service manual so I checked everything while I had the opportunity. As some of you know I had a little accident with the underside of the hood with a wire wheel and grinder that got away and did a little dance on part of the underside. I had to strip down one section and repaint and tried to touch up some other scratches but blending is difficult with the clear on the rest of hood so I am removing back down to the paint so it will look better. I was at the doctors yesterday and had an injection of Methylprednisolone in my left shoulder. I will get the right shoulder done next monday. Hopefully it will help me to spend a little more time each day to work on the car. What is your opinion on removing the carb and changing the gasket?It does not seem to be leaking so I could just add a sealer around the bottom to make sure or just leve it alone. My only concern is that doing heavy cleaning of intake manifold up to the bottom of carb it may disturb something. Anyhow I have to get her back together and running by spring (late spring up here ) any other things can be done outdoors during the week. I plan on running it on the weekends and maybe attend some shows to see if there are others like her out there. here is the link with some new pics. http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfman98/
Old February 20th, 2009, 10:43 AM
ate glue as a child

Glad to see your project moving along.

if it was up to me, i'd go ahead and remove the carb. and tape up the carb mounting flange tightly. That way there is little chance of getting dust or abrasives down the barrel of the carb into the engine when you clean up the manifold. also it would save you lots of time trying to mask up the carb when its time to paint.

Just remember not to overtighten the carb bolts when reinstalling the carb or it will warp it. if i remember right it's 15 ft pounds. just a little tighter than snug.

Oh as long as i'm thinking about it the valve covers and the oil pan needs a thin coat of primer before applying engine paint. otherwise it will flake off, no matter how clean it was when painted.

jason