when does a car become a clone

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2014, 01:37 PM
morgan

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
If it is the frame only that is not a clone. In your words...."am i wrong to use the vin number from that car on the new car that has been built from parts"

Yes you are wrong!

All this stuff makes me want to sell my cars because this makes honest people with honest cars suspect.

this is how i see it also.
Old February 13th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Rocketbrian
I read all of the comments with great interest, partially due to my 71 442 situation. In a few months my car will be gong to the body shop to begin its rust repair and restoration. It is a numbers matching car but has roof and cowl rust. I acquired a rust free dash which incorporates the bottom windshield channel and the VIN plate. I plan on removing the VIN plate and reriveting it into the replacement dash. This is all to do with rust repair and nothing else. Surely, this wouldn't be frowned on. Having a car without a VIN plate in the dash would be more suspect. If a quarter panel is changed, no issues are raised, other than the fact it was done and the quality of the work. If a metal dash is replaced problems can ensue even though the whole purpose is the same as the quarter panel, just because it contains the VIN. It somehow makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong just because of the perception of some sort of fraud. Once again the dishonest few make it difficult for the honest people.
You're ok Brian. Rust repairs like what you are describing are common place and there is no intent to defraud or change VIN or cowl tags. There is legislation that covers this and it's exactly as you describe. I would, however, suggest you be in the shop to collect the VIN and cowl tags when they come out so they aren't lost by the shop. Have them notify you when they need them back. Shops have been known to misplace those things.

You can get GM style replacement cowl tag rivets for putting the tag back on.

The only reason that VIN is so critical is it's the cars birth certificate and used for DMV registration/insurance etc. Think of the cowl tag as Fishers contribution to the birth of your car. It has specific information that a hobbyist will appreciate but is not absolutely required for legal purposes.