General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What made you become a OLDS guy?

Old December 6th, 2009, 12:34 AM

What made you become a OLDS guy?

My friends ask me this all the time ad I tell them, I was just ment to be but the truth is I dont know...Im 30 and Ive owned more Chevys and Pontiacs than Olds but I know Im home now....I cant say my dad had Olds or anything like that so I guess the Cutlass did it for me....
Old December 6th, 2009, 02:11 AM

My dad was a tech for olds in the early '70s and a fan as well. Had more than a few of them growing up and learned to apreciate them. better built than chubbie or pontiac and sportier than most buicks. Not over fond of ford in general, or chrysler pretty much at all.
Old December 6th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Registered

I was actually looking for a Poncho wagon for a new project and I stumbled across the Vista Cruiser in my searching.
It was reasonably close, cheap and it had no rust so I said what the heck.
Old December 6th, 2009, 03:43 AM

arrived at olds by accident --was given an 86 f/wood brougham which had olds 307. Very heavy auto for a 307 .Was wondering what to swap in to as a replacement.A caddy guy said it would be simpler to stick with an olds motor--big block. I bought a 425 toro and am learning all the time how good these engines are
Old December 6th, 2009, 06:23 AM

17 years ago I took the Cutlass to settle a debt. I had never heard of an SX, had no idea what it was. Plan was to fix it up and flip it....
Old December 6th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Cutlass Lover

First time I drove my one brother-in- laws 72 Cutlass, I was hooked! Just loved the look, the feel, and the ride!! My oldest sister always had an Olds of some kind too!
Old December 6th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Oldsdruid

I'm probably one of the few who was born into it. We have been Oldsmobile people on both sides of the family since way before I came along- starting back in 1937!

My Aunt Rene was none too pleased when GM killed off Oldsmobile. Her 1995 Ninety Eight had been wrecked and totalled, and when she went to get a new Oldsmobile, she got one of the last few Aleros the local dealer was able to get- not a Final 500 though. She sez "Who'd have ever thought there'd be a day when you couldn't get a new Oldsmobile?"
Old December 6th, 2009, 06:58 AM

My uncle had a 69 W-30 that he got in trade in 1971. He still has it but its in ruins, (and he wont give it up to me so I can restore it!) Thats what first turned me on to them. I remember being like 6 or 7 years old riding in the back and him burning rubber.
I bought my first Olds, a 69 Cutlass convertible, when I was 20 back in 1985 and Iv always had at least one Oldsmobile ever since.
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Circa 1987 Senoir in high skool,My buddy just painted his car(now mine) and a week later he got his girlfriend pregnant,panic set in and he let it go for a mere $1400....I had been looking for a decent Chevelle but even back then I wasnt close to having the scratch for one........I drove my Olds for 2 years Summer and harsh Iowa winters till I could get a decent winter beater,My buddy Bob still stops by to visit the ole girl from time to time......He has 3 kids now........i send him a 8x10 of the car for Christmas doing a burnout or soemthing and he hangs it in his garage.........Jerr
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:27 AM
wait.... what....

I too was born into loving Oldsmobiles. My dad was into antique Olds, he had a 1937 and a 1947. When he would take me to the different Olds shows, i would drool over the late 60's early 70's Cutlass' and 442's. It was fitting that my first car was a 72 Supreme.
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:37 AM

In 1984 I bought a 1971 Cutlass S that was painted black with cheezy white pinstrip tape on it. I liked the body lines and it was something I could afford. Shortly after that I spotted a dead Rallye 350 partially covered by blackberry vines in a guys field. I didn't know what it was but I knew the body lines were similar to my car. It was rusty and his son had bought it for the 4 speed transmission. I got what was left for $50 and started learning about Oldsmobiles. Between then and 1995 I had several 70-72 models, then I began to expand my interest to 68-72 and eventually 64-77.
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:55 AM

In 1964 I traded a '52 Ford for a '50 Olds 2dr, with a 56 motor and a B&M Hydro Stick tranny, pretty fast for the day...fast forward to 1998, I was with a hard core Olds buddy at a Club function, and another member brought the '71 442 that has been in my garage for 11 years.
Old December 6th, 2009, 08:02 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

My Dad was always into pontiac,so if you take the whole BOP thing into consideration,I didn't fall far from the tree.
In the early 80's I had a girlfriend that had a flame orange 72 cutlass S,it was given to her by her dad.One day she ran it into a curb on accident,did pretty extensive damage to the front suspension.
The car sat for about 3 months till her dad could come up from Kansas to see the car,he seen it and said to send the car to the junk yard.
I bought it for $200 and it is still with me today.

Old December 6th, 2009, 08:14 AM

10 years ago looking for a 56 chev hardtop like I had right after high school saw the 57 Olds in a used car lot, love at first site, she seduced me and that was that
Old December 6th, 2009, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by WTony
My uncle had a 69 W-30 that he got in trade in 1971. He still has it but its in ruins, (and he wont give it up to me so I can restore it!)
This is in bad taste, I know, but how old is your uncle if he was selling cars 40 years ago? Maybe you can buy from his estate!
Old December 6th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Captain of my ship

Not really sure but I guess you could say kinda like love at first site. My dad was always a Ford man and when I was a kid my first real car was a Chev Impala SS and always had Chevs. It was after dad passed away that I decided to trade the 29 Model A for something that I found more enjoyable to drive. I was looking more along the lines of a muscle car but never found one in my price range. Then this car came along and it had a lot of things i liked. it was a convertible which is something I have always wanted but never had. Plus it had the 455 and TH400 combo so I knew it would have some getup even for a big car. It is really comfortable to drive and I love cruising in it. The car turned me into an Olds lover.
Old December 6th, 2009, 10:00 AM

I bought one. That's all it takes. I was a Chevy guy for years than a Mopar, I don't know if I'm an Old's guy but I do have a 70 Cutlass. When I get it fixed up than maybe I'll be real Old's guy.

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; December 6th, 2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old December 6th, 2009, 10:20 AM
"me somebody" site member

Back in 1986 I had a summer job working in a warehouse...became friends with a guy I worked with who had a '71 Cutlass convertible (yellow with a saddle interior and white top, pretty car). Decided then that I would have a Cutlass convertible someday. Forward to 1991, one of my old fraternity buddies offered to sell me his '70 Cutlass convertible because he "decided to become an environmentalist"?! His loss, my gain. Was a bench seat, column shift auto car, Matador red with a black top and interior, and pretty quick as I recall. Body work (I did with the help of a friend, or arguably the reverse was truer) was just fair, and the Good Olds Guys at the Raceway Park Olds "show and go"s sponsored by Mondello back in the day never gave me the time of day when I would bring it there. Anyway, that was my first Olds. And BTW they don't have those shows any longer.

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; December 6th, 2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old December 6th, 2009, 11:29 AM
1977 Cutlass Supreme

In 1983 I had a 1977 Cutlass Supreme that was very dependable, & I liked the way it drove. 21 years later, I was laid off from NASA in California & moved to Colorado depressed & broke. I sold everything I owned to make the move, including my car at the time. In Colorado I found a nice 77 Cutlass Supreme that neeeded a little TLC for a cheap price. I bought it and fixed it up during one of the darkest times of my life, and it was an escape from my problems. Throughout the coldest winter months (& in Denver, that's cold), that Oldsmobile never failed to start first time. It had a good heater & snow tires on the back, & in deep snow I passed many a modern SUV upside down or in a ditch-never had a problem. Today I have an awesome job, plenty of money in the bank, and a brand new car & motorcycle in the garage. Right next to them both is my faithful Cutlass, & I still drive it on nice days, with a full restoration in the planning and parts aquisition stages. I will never sell it, and it will be garaged and well cared for as long as I am alive to do it. It took care of me when I needed it most-never left me stranded, never failed to start, always got me where I needed to go no matter how deep the snow. It was always faithful and dependable, and that's a rare thing these days...
Old December 6th, 2009, 12:09 PM
same but different

My friends Dad worked for GM in Kansas City. Though he didn't assemble the cutlass/442, he had a new one every couple of years. Allways thought they were good looking cars.

I've said before, I think Olds picked me. It was the right car at the right time. It was cheap enough (at the time) and I've had one ever since.
Old December 6th, 2009, 12:25 PM

My folks bought a 71 olds delta 88 convertible,black on black with ss IV wheels,455 dual exhaust posi rear. Then they beat the crap out of it with the whole family in it. What a blast.Nothing like holding things in the car top down at 110 mph in the back seat.Now I have a 74 delta conv,much faster,getting faster and my son loves it. Cool.
Old December 6th, 2009, 12:29 PM

easy question. i think the real question should be why wouldn't someone be an Olds guy
Old December 6th, 2009, 12:39 PM

I was 21 when I saw a 1977 Cutlass Supreme. It was fall 1978 and I thought "What a beautiful car." I wanted one. However the dealer was offering only $1000 for my 1976 Honda Civic and the Cutlass was $7500 or so he wanted. I passed on it.

In 1979 I saw a Cutlass 442 for sale in the Calgary Herald. I went over to see it. It had a sloped front end, swivel buckets and was a beautiful Blue/Silver colour scheme, and I fell in love. It had 29,000 miles and I asked the owner what he wanted for it. He said $5,000. The car was loaded and it had a 455. I used my best negotiation skills that I'd learned up until that point and said......"OK." and gave $100 to hold it.

I went to the bank as I was making $4.25/hr and asked for a loan. I had never had a bank loan before. My father would later comment that he would have loaned (given) me the money but I was on my own and wanted to do this for myself. The bank included my Honda as equivalent to $2,500. I told them I also had a stereo. It was a Sears stereo with the turntable built onto the 8-track and AM/FM receiver and included speakers and a stand. My mom paid $99 in 1971. The loans officer asked "How much are stereos selling for these days?" I had just seen one at a stereo shop for $2800 with all the bells and whistles. So I said $2800. Well I got the loan and paid something like $150 or $170 a month for 36 months.

I drove the car back to Montreal to show my dad, as this was the first car I ever bought (on my own). I did the 2300 miles in 36 hours, straight driving. I never missed a payment and even paid it off early. 32 months later the car was mine.

My 1976 442 ran so well year after year that I decided to start an Oldsmobile club to share my obsession with other Oldsmobile lovers.
This car made me the Oldsmobile fan that I am today. This 442 was my first Oldsmobile. It took me to my marriage and took my three sons home from the hospital. It was daily driver winter and summer for the first seven years. I loved the looks, the drivability and the reliability, that's why I still own her today and that's why I am an Oldsmobile man.

Check out my Car Domain site "Through The Years" and see the pictures from day one.
Old December 6th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

History revealed

I always thought that it was my Dad who influenced me, but I was wrong. It was bugging the crap out of me why I was so partial to Olds instead of sharing a common interest in anything Detroit made. So I went to see Madame Zelda. She's really sweet and not hard on the eyes. 35.00 later I had the answer. She said that by looking into her crystal ball while she held my hand that:

In 1932, I was an Oldsmobile F32 that got shot up in a street fight in Plains, IN, but was a very handsome and reliable car before my untimely death.....I was unceremoniously hauled away to the scrapyard and crushed. That really hurt.....

In 1940, I was an innocouous series 60 sedan that was parked in a barn in Montana until the mysterious fire that destroyed Old man Bergens Homestead in 1949. I'm still hot under the collar about that. From what madame Zelda said, my old chassis still haunts the area buried under a heap of dirt and manure.....

In 1953, I was reborn as a bright red /white Oldsmobile 88 and sold to a nice young couple looking for a perfect family sedan. I was their choice because I was big, roomy, VERY stylish if I say so myself, and easy to drive. Unfortunately my owner got drunk on the way home from a New Years party in 1954 and crashed me into bridge and then into the icy waters of the Sinocara River. Sure, both of them got hurt, but they both survived. I apparently have a destiny with the crusher again....

After that, i waited to be born as a "people" so I could protect my brothers and sisters as much as possible and pass on the message that Oldsmobiles are more than just metal, glass and cloth. We feel pain when we die, and rejoice at rebirth.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin tuit.
Old December 6th, 2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
This is in bad taste, I know, but how old is your uncle if he was selling cars 40 years ago? Maybe you can buy from his estate!
He's 65, just had a stroke this summer, and still insists that someday he "might just retore" that car. Im hoping I dont have to wait till he's gone to get it. Id really like him to see it done, and drive it, before he passes. I had a parts car lined up for the restoration last year but he wouldnt give it up.

Does anyone have a 1:18 scale metal ertl 69 W-30 in dark green with the white stripes? If you'd be willing to sell it, Id like to buy it to send to him to try to coax him into selling his to me.
Old December 6th, 2009, 05:27 PM

For me, it was March of 1970 (maybe the 11th of that month), I was about 2 days old, travling in a Ocean Mist colored 1968 Toronado fully loaded(bucket seat with no console).
That Toronado was ordered for the W-34 option, but it did not come through.
I think the VIN# was 394878m604846.

I mostly remeber the Mator red 1972 Toronado, from my childhood years.(June 1972- off the road in June of 1982 due to broken frame). That was a pretty Olds- red with white top and white inside!

I do remeber when I was 2, seeing both the '68 and red '72 Toronados together in my parent's driveway,(June of 1972, mostly likely saying good-bye to the '68 ).
In the summer of 1983, my Dad got a beat-up white 1973 Toronado to replace the '72.
Then in the winter of 1987, the silver 1968 Toronado came along.

I have been driving Oldsmobiles since Dec 23, 1985, when I got my lisence, at 15.
I cut my teeth on a 1973 Toronado(June 1982-Sept 1988) and 1980 AMC Eagle(Nov 1980-Nov/Dec 1992)
Rarely I drove the "new" car, black 1987 Buick Regal T-Type (Feb 1987-May 2007).

Past Oldsmobiles my father had , before the red '72 Toronado:

Wedgewood blue 63 Starfire HD (Aug 1963-Sept 65)
Tan 1965 Starfire convertible (Sept65-Sept 67)
OceanMist 1968 Toronado (Oct 1976-June 1972)

Last edited by toro68; December 10th, 2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old December 6th, 2009, 05:42 PM

My dad worked for Olds his whole life. I happened into the '68 driving along the road to Battle Creek one day and a guy had it for sale by the side of the road. I stopped to have a look around and liked what I saw
My wife and I were about to get married so she bought it for me for a wedding present(she's a keeper)
I like the fact that its a bit different from the usual cammaro or chevelle.
and like I said my dad worked for them so there's that.
I'm in the midst of getting all my parts around to fix it up, the motor and trans are done. 552 horse and 610ft. lbs. on the engine and the trans is a 400 with a gear vendor overdrive. The car goes to the shop for a bit of surgery as soon as I get my pennies saved up for a roll cage and having the frame notched for some bigger meats. then the 9 inch is getting fitted.
Old December 6th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Parents first new car was an 81 Cutlass. Grew up with the car & always loved the 60's versions. So I when I saw the boat for the price the previous owner was asking it was a no brainer.
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:16 PM

As a kid I fell in love with the car my father had and from there she became mine once I was outta highschool.
Old December 7th, 2009, 12:59 AM

I was going to buy a 56 Merc, then I saw my 57 Olds and fell hard for her. I realize now that there is only one Merc that compares and that is the 54 Sun Valley. A mighty expensive car, that may, just may hold a candle to Olds.
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:57 AM
2 '66 98's

The only Olds that I had any connection with in my very early years was a 1936 that my father owned for a couple of years. I bought my first one in 1968 when I was looking for a 1964 Pontiac. A friend had a small car lot and gave me a '66 98 Holiday sedan to try out for a few days. The rest, as they say, is history. I have owned 4 '66 98s since that time. The only other Olds my father had was an '89 Cutlass Ciera 4dr. That was a nice little car for an older couple. I sold it in 2005 after my mother went in to a nursing home. It had 34000 miles on it with only 17000 on the motor. The motor had to be replaced at 17000 miles due to dealer mechanic error - running it without oil! Almost gave my father a heart attack at the time.
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
I also went home from the hospital in an 88 (55 I think) moved to Florida in an 88 (57 I think) my grandfather had a 60 Super 88 convertible, a 63 88 Holiday sedan, 67 Cutlass (I got caught driving that when I was 10), 72 88 Royale, 73 88 Royale, sister had 83 or so Ciera, 85 98, 86 Calais, Mom had 87 88 Royale, 92 Custom Cruiser (that sank in a field in heavy rain)

My Uncle had a 59 88 convertible, an aunt had a 69 Cutlass convertible.

My brother had a sweet 78 Cutlass Calais, I had a great 74 Cutlass Salon.

I am sure I am forgetting some.

I had so many mid 70s Oldsmobiles (when my Dad was a Cadillac dealer LOL) I can not even count them all.

My Toronado and 88 conv found me, then it was like "duh, no brainer" (I was looking for a boattail Riv at the time, what a mistake that would have been)

now Big Edie, my daily driver:

Old December 7th, 2009, 11:51 AM

My friend introduced me to Olds.. (same one I am buying mine from) when we met in 1987 he drove a 1974 Olds Omega. We beat that car (as teenagers do) and it still kept running. and then he bought the 1965 Jetstar, I did like the car but over time the look is growing on me and I really like it now. I am now thinking I would like a late 60's to early 70's Cutlass. Time will tell.
Old December 7th, 2009, 12:19 PM

By luck... Had I not seen that dusty Delmont on that used car lot that day, I might of been a Pontiac man. I know now I made the correct choice.
Old December 7th, 2009, 03:41 PM

My uncle was the used car sales manager at Triangle Olds in Dallas when I was 15. I have pictures of him and my Aunt Tootsie in their '40 black Olds convertible w/fender skirts (think it was a '40), smiling. He flew fighters in WWII, and was just a "dashing young man"; buzzed my Grandmother's house (in Dallas, no less) in an AT6 Texan (trainer) to impress my Aunt, before they married. We would stand in the back yard and wave at him, as he was really l-o-w! I sold my '40 Ford 2 door sedan (kick myself a lot on that for a long time) to buy my Olds from him. '50 2 door sedan, baby blue. Put Smithy's on it, matching antenna on the other side, had a sun visor, and had it leaded (all the ornaments taken off), along with wire spinner hub caps. Wow! All the other kids at school knew when I drove up/left early; had an Aoogah horn, split regular horns, and a Bermuda Bell in the floorboard! Can't you just hear it now: (low) beep-beep, (high) beep-beep, Aoogah-aoogah, Ding-Dong, Ding-Dong! I recall winning a few races in that puppy. Ah, those were the days. Had multiple Oldsmobile's since, never enough.
Old December 7th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Telecom Guru

My dad worked for Oldsmobile division starting in the early 1950s and retired in the late 1980s. He was a zone rep for the service departments at the dealerships. He was on the road all week visiting dealers. The perk that came with that was a company car. He drove a brand-new car for about 3,000 miles and then traded it for another one. He had to submit a report about any problems encountered and how they were resolved. Pretty cool. Since he was always on the highway I can't say as any of them were musclecars, but there were some pretty cool Toronados in the mix. When I was little I used to play with the promo models that my big brothers decided weren't cool enough to keep. Wish mom hadn't sold all those in a garage sale in the 70s! They'd be worth a fortune. The one I remember most was a '66 Toronado.
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:50 PM

It all started with my Dad. After a stint in the service he bought a brand new '51 Olds 88 2 dr sedan. had that one until 1960 when he bought a '60 Olds super 88 4 dr hardtop, he also bought my Mom a '60 Super 88 to match Then moved up to a '67 delta 88 425 2v carb. Also a number of Olds work cars. My love started with the '51 88 he had. My first was a '56 Olds 88 4dr sedan. I moved to a '56 88 2dr Holiday. I had to have a 2dr. Next a '62 F-85 convert, a '62 Starfire red convert and in 1968 I bought a '50 Olds 88 coupe (still have it) now a few more since, a few '64 Cutlass's, 2- '68 442's, a '69 Cutlass. My current crop is my '50, 2- '64 Cutlass, '68- Cutlass, '70- Cutlass Supreme.
Just a Olds nut.
Gene
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:38 PM

Dunno.

Some men are Baptists...others Catholics...I am an Oldsmobile man.

Couldn't resist
Old December 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM

Since I was born and raised in Lansing, Michigan it was only natural for me to get hooked on Oldsmobiles. I can still remember going on a tour of the Olds plant as a child and seeing the "body drop" where the body was mated to the frame. Neighbors seemed to always have a "new" Olds to go and check out when they bought one. I remember one in particular, a guy that lived two houses down from us graduated in 1965 and got a 65 442 as a gift from his parents. Later that year he joined the service, and went to Viet Nam. He was killed in that stupid war and never made it home. I have always wanted a 65 442 like that, and now I finally have a 1965 Cutlass 2dr hardtop that I am putting 442 badging on. I have had many other Oldsmobiles over the years, and even though the Olds factories have all been torn down now, this is still an Olds town!
Old December 7th, 2009, 09:40 PM

My parents had a '74 88, then a 76 98, them Mom had a'79 Olds Wagon and then an '80 Toronado. I loved the 70s cutlass Supremes, and the '69 98 convertible I have was my first Olds. I just like the syle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What made you become a OLDS guy?