vintage air or factory?

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2022, 09:44 PM

vintage air or factory?

trying to decide if i should use factory parts to install air conditioning on a 65 or use the vintage air system? i have a 66 parts car that has the air system in tact and at one point was working according to the previous owner. if i'm not mistaken, the hole in the firewall is different from an ac car and non ac car, is that correct? the car in question is a 1965 442 that didn't have factory air, but i'm spoiled and would like to have my air conditioning.

thanks
Old March 16th, 2022, 02:30 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If originality is not important I would go with the Vintage Air. You have all new parts and support from the manufacturer. Otherwise you are using 56 year old parts.
Old March 16th, 2022, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Vintage air is the easier install.
Old March 16th, 2022, 08:19 AM

Go with Vintage Air. You wouldn't have to worry about sourcing R12 either.
Old March 16th, 2022, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Go with Vintage Air. You wouldn't have to worry about sourcing R12 either.
i thought of that same thing today. i have a can of r-12, but one certainly won't help.
Old March 16th, 2022, 01:54 PM
Randy C.

And I'm not 100% sure about this, but I do believe a new Vintage Air set-up will cool better than using original equipment. I went with the original compressor on my '69 4-4-2, converted to R134, and it cools but on a real hot day it doesn't cool that well. If you are in the front seat you're OK but you'll still be plenty warm if you are in the back seat!

Randy C.
Old March 16th, 2022, 02:40 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

Vintage Air in my '72 ragtop replaced the OEM stuff - freed up the right side of my engine bay by eliminating need for under-hood evap core. All electronic box eliminates need for vacuum reliance as well so you won't be bleeding off engine vacuum.

Cools better, easily sourced replacement components and probably no more in cost than overhauling OEM parts.
Old March 16th, 2022, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
And I'm not 100% sure about this, but I do believe a new Vintage Air set-up will cool better than using original equipment. I went with the original compressor on my '69 4-4-2, converted to R134, and it cools but on a real hot day it doesn't cool that well. If you are in the front seat you're OK but you'll still be plenty warm if you are in the back seat!

Randy C.
sure am glad i won't be in the back seat..lol i would have to think the modern equipment is going to work a little better, and the newer compressor is supposed to use less torque, therefore less power draw on the pulleys. plus, it's less bulky in engine compartment. the all in one unit will allow me to eliminate the blower box and heater core and clean up the firewall. i like that idea, more room for the big block.
Old March 16th, 2022, 05:02 PM

For a 65, the vintage air system is definitely a better choice as long as you are not concerned with an original look. Be sure to get the Gen IV unit as the earlier models are smaller, do not flow as much air, and will not properly cool the car. The gen IV vintage air system will certainly flow more and cool better than the factory 65 A/C system. It is a closer call on the later 68 - 72 systems. The later systems actually cool pretty well and move a lot of air so as far as performance goes, they are pretty comparable to the vintage air systems if they are properly set up (clear evaperator, sealed cases, etc). The vintage air system will still take up less space and use a more efficient compressor than an original system from the 68 - 72 so there are still benefits. I have a Gen IV vintage air system in my vista cruiser and with the tailgate window down, you can feel the cold air blowing out of the dash vents the whole way at the back of the car even on a hot day.

Last edited by Loaded68W34; March 16th, 2022 at 05:05 PM.
Old March 16th, 2022, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Loaded68W34
For a 65, the vintage air system is definitely a better choice as long as you are not concerned with an original look. Be sure to get the Gen IV unit as the earlier models are smaller, do not flow as much air, and will not properly cool the car. The gen IV vintage air system will certainly flow more and cool better than the factory 65 A/C system. It is a closer call on the later 68 - 72 systems. The later systems actually cool pretty well and move a lot of air so as far as performance goes, they are pretty comparable to the vintage air systems if they are properly set up (clear evaperator, sealed cases, etc). The vintage air system will still take up less space and use a more efficient compressor than an original system from the 68 - 72 so there are still benefits. I have a Gen IV vintage air system in my vista cruiser and with the tailgate window down, you can feel the cold air blowing out of the dash vents the whole way at the back of the car even on a hot day.

do you have any pictures of your install?
Old March 16th, 2022, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by 65droptop
do you have any pictures of your install?
I have a Gen IV unit in my 72 vista

I finished the install of a vintage air Gen II on a freinds 67 nova (started by another shop, installed incorrectly and never finished). Once I fixed all of the issues from the original shop, even with decent floor insulation and dark tint on the windows, the Gen II still did not cool that small Nova interior as well as the Gen IV cools my wagon interior. I also installed a factory A/C system in my 66 Chevelle convertible (similar to the system in your 65) and it does not have anywhere near the blower strength or cooling capacity of the vintage air set up. One of my current projects is a 67 camaro convertible that is getting the Gen IV system as well. That one should be a pretty good test of the system as there isn't a whole lot you can do to insulate a convertible top from the high outside temps in the summer.
Old March 16th, 2022, 08:30 PM

which kit would i need for my application? i am seeing several different options and price ranges
Old March 17th, 2022, 04:37 AM

I would get the Gen IV magnum universal and then build your rystem around that (controls, compressor, vents, etc). The direct fit Gen IV magnum will be pretty much all-inclusive, but cost more money.
Old March 17th, 2022, 02:23 PM

i like air conditioning, but for 1900 bucks, i'm not sure vintage air is in the cards right now. 1900 sure buys a lot more parts that will serve my build well, versus being cool in the hot summer months. i have the system out of a 66 parts car that i bought, previous owner said it worked when he got the car, but hasn't worked the last two years. i guess i'll cross that bridge when i get there. i was just doing some research on what i should do once i do get to that point.
Old March 17th, 2022, 02:54 PM

I highly recommend cleaning the original evaporator and heater core as good as you can (maximum air flow). Then install the under-dash heater box, evaporator box, and firewall blower box. Take care to seal the connections between each of the air openings in these and be sure to install the metal/ foam seal at the kick panel that connects the evap case to the under-dash heater box. Get the A/C dash ducts installed and get the blower wiring connected. Play with the system and get a feel for how strong the air blows through the vents. I have found that the amount of air flow is the weak link in the original systems rather than getting the vent temp low enough. In other words, if you are satisfied with the amount of air blowing through the vents with the system "mocked up", you will probably be good to go with the original system. If not, I would buy a generic Gen IV evap kit ($750 - $850) and build as you go. You can get driers and condensers much cheaper than the ones in the direct fit kit and make your own brackets/ hoses. I bought a hose crimper to make my own hoses, but even if you don't want to spend $100 for the crimper, you can buy bulk hose and fittings and take them to a local shop to be crimped. If you can help it, converting to a vintage air setup (especially if smoothing the firewall) is not really a job you want to do after the car is restored.
Old March 17th, 2022, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Loaded68W34
I highly recommend cleaning the original evaporator and heater core as good as you can (maximum air flow). Then install the under-dash heater box, evaporator box, and firewall blower box. Take care to seal the connections between each of the air openings in these and be sure to install the metal/ foam seal at the kick panel that connects the evap case to the under-dash heater box. Get the A/C dash ducts installed and get the blower wiring connected. Play with the system and get a feel for how strong the air blows through the vents. I have found that the amount of air flow is the weak link in the original systems rather than getting the vent temp low enough. In other words, if you are satisfied with the amount of air blowing through the vents with the system "mocked up", you will probably be good to go with the original system. If not, I would buy a generic Gen IV evap kit ($750 - $850) and build as you go. You can get driers and condensers much cheaper than the ones in the direct fit kit and make your own brackets/ hoses. I bought a hose crimper to make my own hoses, but even if you don't want to spend $100 for the crimper, you can buy bulk hose and fittings and take them to a local shop to be crimped. If you can help it, converting to a vintage air setup (especially if smoothing the firewall) is not really a job you want to do after the car is restored.
so, it is cheaper to source the parts individually? interesting. i love being a diy kinda guy and not afraid to buy a tool if i need too. i'm self employed so tools are write offs.
Old March 18th, 2022, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by 65droptop
so, it is cheaper to source the parts individually? interesting. i love being a diy kinda guy and not afraid to buy a tool if i need too. i'm self employed so tools are write offs.
It can be, especially if you do not want to use everything that comes in the direct fit kit (controls, fire wall covers, generic dash vents, etc). Also, you can buy what you need as you need it to spread out the cost. Much more customization as well (hoses routed where you want, commpressor mounting that you want). Like I said, I would mock up the original system next to see if you are satisfied with the volume of air blowing from the vents at high speed (possibly even with the doors and glass in). If you are, the original system will probably be fine, if not, now is the time to start fitting the vintage air system.