General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

'70 442 air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2012, 08:34 AM

'70 442 air conditioning

I have seen several threads on the topic of removing a/c from a car but don't recall seeing any about putting it in a car that doesn't have it. How difficult would it be to add factory style air (complete) to a '70 442?

Randy
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:45 AM

Hi Randy
It can be done. The hole in the firewall is larger for the AC cars, that is the one thing you'd need to cut or weld in a piece from a parts car. I believe everything else would be a bolt on. The duct work may be tedious, but still very do-able. John
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:49 AM

there is a thread about adding vintage air kit for $1300.00. now what is the cost of adding factory components to a non A/C car??? I would be interested to see the difference. My 2 cents is go with vintage air.
What does everyone else think???
Old April 7th, 2012, 10:38 AM

My vote's also for Vintage Air, as you could spend years locating parts and educating yourself on how to do this. I bought a new small non a/c econo car years ago. Bought an aftermarket a/c kit, and was up and running in a weekend.
Old April 7th, 2012, 12:00 PM

I have never added either an original AC or a vintage air ac kit, but I will say its hard enough keeping these old parts working on my original AC 442, I'd go for an aftermarket one.
Old April 7th, 2012, 12:58 PM

Great comments and, no doubt, a good idea on the Vintage Air. I looked at their website but it didn't seem very helpful.

Randy
Old April 7th, 2012, 01:42 PM

If you scroll back a bit, you'll find member "ah64pilot" has a thread exactly about this, and the full kit is $1300 bucks. Maybe scroll back a bit, or contact him directly.
Old April 7th, 2012, 02:11 PM

http://www.vintageair.com/7072olds.asp

check out this link from the other thread.
Old April 7th, 2012, 05:15 PM

Thanks. I didn't find that I was first looking. It is definitely the way to go.

Randy
Old April 7th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Econow
http://www.vintageair.com/7072olds.asp
check out this link from the other thread.
Just a note on this. I went to the site and looked at it too. Even read the .pdf installation file. It assumes you already have factory air in your car and are upgrading to electronic + R134. If you don't have AC? You still need to find parts to make this work.
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:10 PM

Had a look did not go indepth, but all the ducting is there to make it work? Is this right? Allen what else is required for non a/c cars?
Old April 8th, 2012, 12:09 PM

I read through the installation manual after I git the right link . It does sat it's for cars that have factory air. By my reading they are providing most of the duct work although some of the existing pieces would need to be modified. It also leaves you needing at least the dash air vents from an ac car.

Randy
Old April 8th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rand5204
I read through the installation manual after I git the right link . It does sat it's for cars that have factory air. By my reading they are providing most of the duct work although some of the existing pieces would need to be modified. It also leaves you needing at least the dash air vents from an ac car. Randy
That's my take too. The only vents they really supply are the defroster ones. And like you said, all the rest of the vents get modified to accept the vent tube. So not only do you need the vent outlets, you need the plastic connectors, kick panel/vacuum pots, lower valence/outlets, new hole in the firewall, compressor mount, alt repositioning etc. It's a big job, but can be done. Just depends on how much you really want it.

I evaluate it as follows (my car doesn't have AC either so this is my logic)

Good points:
R134 coolant
New air hose lines
rotary compressor
electronic controls vs vacuum
Great for non 'show' cars.
Gets the job done so you can ride in comfort.
Minimal mod to existing AC system.

Neutral
Cost and installation

Neg
Need existing AC setup. (or)
Need to find parts (condition & $$$) that would allow this setup to install in non OEM AC car.
Old April 8th, 2012, 01:01 PM

Randy, if you decide to go with original check with the guys on the site who've got parts cars. I've got a 1971 4 door that I've been pulling stuff off of, but it may be several weeks or more before I could pull all the AC parts and cut out the firewall opening for you. Carl Hamm went through this on his car and I think chasing parts was one of the headaches he had. If you could find a car with everything on it and get it all as a package I believe it would be easier than a few items here and a few items there. Eric and Scott are in Indiana and they sell a lot of parts. Bob is down in Florida and he's got a good inventory too. Brian is in Pennsylvania and I believe he's got parts cars. Then you could also create a parts wanted thread to see if another member close by has what you need. Come to think of it, I believe Rachetmaster is in Utah and I'm drawing a blank on his real life name but he's often got spare parts for sale. It may be much cheaper to purchase the factory setup, then upgrade with a newer compressor. Dave (oregontopcat) found a compressor that's lightweight and that's what he used on his 1970 442 convertible. Just some thoughts. John
Old April 8th, 2012, 03:37 PM

Think I'd call Vintage air, as they advertise on Power Block TV all the time, with never any mention of the install car ever having factory air. As mentioned earlier, I got an aftermarket ac kit for a new small non factory ac car years ago, and came with every single part needed for the complete ac install. No refrigerant, and needed a vacuum pump, scale, and manifold gauge set to charge, but already had all of this. If you don't have any of this, you may need to have an ac shop properly charge your system.
Old April 8th, 2012, 05:30 PM

I have just sent an email out to vintage air to ask just that. Will see what thy say on Mon when they get back to me.
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:09 PM

Pretty sure Vintage Airs kit for the '71 is ready now even if not listed on the website. They have my '69 there now finishing up the kit for that year.
Old April 9th, 2012, 02:40 PM

Go a reply back from Vintage and they are putting a kit to gether, and said to keep watching. This one will be for non a/c cars
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:43 PM

Great news - thanks for checking
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:37 AM

My guess is the biggest difference between AC and non is going to be with the dash controller setup.
I went with a generic aftermarket kit from Classic Auto Air. It took a little fabrication but wasn't too bad.
I've also installed Vintage Air before, both companies have great products and a great to work with.