Restoration of a 1970 442

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2015, 07:17 AM

I want to find another one for when the gauges are restored
Old February 8th, 2015, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Johnd
I want to find another one for when the gauges are restored
Save that glass w the sticker for sure.
Heck I'd buy it for $$ with the 'danger' sticker alone!

Just getting into my 70' 442 dash myself. oldspackrat here in the forum has a ton of parts that helped me out. I just grabbed a few things to top off my detailing.

Good Luck with the build!.

Do you have an est. time to driving? ) (as they are never really complete...)
Old February 8th, 2015, 01:39 PM

Oldspackrat (Scott) is the one currently restoring the gauges... The car is off to the body shop next week and I plan to have the brakes, suspension, motor, and interior done by fall. It will most likely get painted next spring
Old April 5th, 2015, 06:44 AM

Picked up a new stereo and 8 - track

Well not much to report as of late. I have a lot going on with work, still settling in after the move, and the addition of two puppies to the family. I have pretty much just been surfing classicolds and ebay trying to buy additional parts. This week I picked up a really clean AM/FM stereo with amp, 8 - track player, and overflow bottle. All the parts came in for the top end engine rebuild and I hope to start that next week. I am still struggling with the body. Although the shop doing the metal work is one of the best in the area, I really whish I would have found something with less rot in the trunk and floors. I know several people on the board have replaced these pieces in the past, and I did it on my 442 convertible. However, I still wish I would have held out for a rust free car. I am going to see how the body comes back from the shop in a few weeks.
Old April 5th, 2015, 08:19 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Know what you mean...I am with ya, next one I restore will have a little less rust...post some pics when you get it back from the metal shop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2011-08-31 20.37.13.jpg (82.3 KB, 69 views)
Old April 5th, 2015, 08:20 AM

Welcome back - hadn't heard from you in a while.
Old April 5th, 2015, 08:50 AM
The Rocket Astronomer

nice work. i like the look of the burgandy mist car and unfortunately parted a 4 speed burgandy mist non air cutlass a few years ago that had a 3.90 posi with hd cooling. regret selling the posi and the oem oai hood. Still have whats left of the body and tags. cowl tag shows a black bench seat; and i think the w25 was added because the rad support had no pin holes for the hood. It was a bare bones manual steering and manual brake car with only the sport mirror option.
Old April 5th, 2015, 09:14 AM

CostPenn - I check out your thread every time I am on the board... Have you seen the blue W30 on ebay for 40k - if I had the money it would be mine. I am going to look at a blue 70 442 on Monday - the engine is done but it needs the body and interior - too bad the interior is white because I already have all the parts for my interior and the seats have been recovered.
Old April 12th, 2015, 08:20 PM

Can I see pics

Originally Posted by lunaboy
nice work. i like the look of the burgandy mist car and unfortunately parted a 4 speed burgandy mist non air cutlass a few years ago that had a 3.90 posi with hd cooling. regret selling the posi and the oem oai hood. Still have whats left of the body and tags. cowl tag shows a black bench seat; and i think the w25 was added because the rad support had no pin holes for the hood. It was a bare bones manual steering and manual brake car with only the sport mirror option.
This sounds like my old car. I wouldn't think many we're built in that configuration. Can you please PM me a few pics of the car. Where did you buy the car? Thanks
Old April 13th, 2015, 05:49 AM

455 Cruiser - I just sent you a PM
Old April 13th, 2015, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Johnd
CostPenn - I check out your thread every time I am on the board... Have you seen the blue W30 on ebay for 40k - if I had the money it would be mine. I am going to look at a blue 70 442 on Monday - the engine is done but it needs the body and interior - too bad the interior is white because I already have all the parts for my interior and the seats have been recovered.
Good luck on the blue car you are going to look at. Are you thinking about mixing up your two projects if you buy it?

I saw that 4spd. for sale - think it is about 15k too high on price - and that price is good only because it is a stick car - in my humble opinion.
Old April 13th, 2015, 06:57 AM

I will most likely use the new 442 as the build and part out all the stuff I don't use from the existing car. Pieces like the body, frame, drivetrain, etc. Still on the fence
Old August 2nd, 2015, 11:13 AM

Finally Decided to Sell It

First, I would like to thank everyone for their help and support over the past two years, as I worked on my 1970 442 restoration. Unfortunately, the time has come for me to sell this project, and the parts I acquired along the way, that total over 25K.

The car is a numbers matching 1970 442, which came equipped with Ram Air, dual gate, posi (308 or 323 can’t remember), and AC. The car was finished in burgundy mist with black stripes and black interior from the factory, and has a clean Virginia title.

I am selling the rear clip of the car, engine, transmission, and rear end. The good, the quarter panels and roof are extremely clean and original, and a new rear window section has been installed. Also installed are new body mounts, engine mounts, and transmission mounts. The drive train ran great before I began stripping the car down to have them removed a few months ago, and my build thread below shows the compression readings from last year. The bad, the person who welded in my floor pans did a terrible job and they will need to be replaced along with the trunk pan. I have a new trunk pan from AMG for a 1970 Chevelle, which will fit all the way from the back seat up to the rear crease of the trunk pan. Also included is a complete metal dash section which I purchased from a donor car to replace the rust the car currently has.

I am setting the body, drive train and suspension for $4500. Once the body is gone I will be selling the following:

• Original Ram Air Hood in excellent condition – the hood has never been fixed or repaired. It will include a reproduction OAI air cleaner assembly, breather tubes, hood pins, retainers, and reproduction hood tongue from Fusicks (cast)
  • Reupholstered Seats – the front buckets have new springs, foam, tracks, covers, chrome piping (the good stuff) and chrome headrest release buttons. The rear seats have new foam and batting.
  • Miscellaneous Interior – new carpet, floor matts, arm rests, front kick panels, headliner, wind lace, complete visors, and all visor mounting hardware
  • Refurbished Dual gate and console – the console and shifter have been refurbished and include a new top place and cable from Fusicks
  • New front and rear bumpers – these are reproduction bumpers from OPGI
  • New Tunk lid – This is a reproduction lid and is identical to the early run 70 trunk lids without the circles – it was fitted on the car and lined up perfectly
  • Complete set of tinted glass in excellent condition
  • A pair of Door Shells – the passenger door had a slight create fixed and the drivers door has a small 1.5 inch section of rust on the lip – again very nice for 45 year old metal
  • A pair of Full Doors – these doors are completely rust free and include the glass and tracks
  • A pair of 1970 Fenders – the passenger fender has a rust hole the size of a quarter on the bottom but the braces is perfects. It also had a small dent which was repaired near the head light. The drivers fender has no rust but it did have a dent poorly knocked out but is easily fixable
  • Miscellaneous Chrome – all the chrome is been cleaned and polished and is ding free - wheel well, trunk, rear window, front window, weather channel
  • AM/FM Radio, 8 Track Player and AC Lap Vents
  • Tilt column and sport wheel – column repainted with new switches and has new horn cap
  • Factory gauges restored with new quartz movement on clock/tac
  • Rebuilt carburetor, fuel line, and choke tubes
  • Sport Mirrors
  • Other Reproduction Stuff – 442 Grills, Headlight bezels, window fuzzies, and weather stripping

There are too many parts to list in one listing. Again, I will be posting these items for sale once the body is sold. If you want to buy the body and package some items I am open to the idea. I am located in Fort Myers Florida 15 minutes from the airport for anyone who wants to see the car or the collection of parts. I can be reached at 508-330-1883 or digregorioj@comcast.net