Position of fuel line above the frame at the rear axel

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2017, 06:33 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Position of fuel line above the frame at the rear axel

How high should the fuel lines be above the top of the rear frame spring tower? If mine is sitting somewhat tucked in to the spring tower, it is too long up front. New lines appear to be the same length as I kept the old ones. My pictures of disassembly do not show the position of the lines very well. Here are the new lines at that location.
Old September 7th, 2017, 10:03 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Anybody??

Perhaps, I did not ask my question very well. I will try again. As you can see in the pictures the new lines are tucked in close to the spring tower. My question is does the line float above the spring tower before and during its in board turn? This moving the entire line back, as the line is above the tower. Or... should it be tucked in as shown on the picture?

Thanks
Old September 7th, 2017, 11:29 AM

Here's some pictures from a 1972 frame. The lines have been wrenched around somewhat, but the one line is held by both clips and it looks pretty close to what you have. I think the key is to get it far enough away from the body mount. John

Old September 7th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Thanks John. I think the second picture shows that the line goes above the spring tower and not next to it, which is what I needed. Notice how close the line is located to the circular indentation on the spring tower.

And by the way, that emergency brake cable, the green one with the hook on the end is an aftermarket piece I am pretty sure.😜
Old September 11th, 2017, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Troys Toy 70
How high should the fuel lines be above the top of the rear frame spring tower? If mine is sitting somewhat tucked in to the spring tower, it is too long up front. New lines appear to be the same length as I kept the old ones. My pictures of disassembly do not show the position of the lines very well. Here are the new lines at that location.

As with all repro lines, they don't sit quite right and need to be tweaked. I'm betting yours are too high and will most likely hit the body. Put the body mount in and see if the lines sit higher. I'm betting they do and if so they will be resting on the floor pans when the body is dropped down.