Mike's 67 trak pak

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2012, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by miked
Some shots with my 'street' tires...15x7 SSIIs (?) with 225/70 Indy 500.
Sweet - Mike!!
Old August 1st, 2012, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Mike, what cam bearing number was that? Possibly the wrong one was installed in the wrong spot as each one is a different size externally. Or maybe there was damage when it was installed and someone scraped it to get cam in or worse as in forced the cam in place. Bearings are the replaceably part so look at block to see if cam was wearing down cam bearing bore.... Thought tells me it should be ok... With that many punch holes on bearing/rod caps be sure to have the big end resized.
Well, good news (I hope). My builder says the block appears to be fine...a new cam bearing fit just fine so looks like no bad wear on block. He seems to think like you that wrong bearing installed. He also agreed about resizing the rods. Appreciate your input!

Not such good news on crank-the journals were great but the thrust surface was way worn out. He was able to find a 10/20 forged unit.
Now that most of my posts will be engine related should I open a new thread in Engine/BB forum? I am going to be asking for a ton of opinions and advice as I go along. Thanks!
Old August 21st, 2012, 01:16 PM

Exhaust Pipes

Well it's time to get good exhaust system-currently has some kind of round, tapered mufflers (sound ok but just a little louder than I want) with pipes that exited behind wheels, hung by welded on hangers. I'm cutting the pipes and hangers off, leaving the muffs and header pipes so I can drive to the shop. I'm installing Yr1 repo chambered pipes using their repo hangers but NOT connecting to muffs as they are in wrong location. The pipes so far seem to fit ok but not in alignment with muffs so they may have to be modified.
My problem is making sure they are in correct location at bumper end. IMHO a 442 is not a 442 if the chambered pipes don't fit right (ha). I have the assembly and service manuals that have measurements. What I would like is a good rear closeup picture of a 67 with stock pipes so I can visually compare mine. It will help the muffler man too. Mine exit just outside the bumper bolts looking straight on. I'm also concerned with the upper control arm clearance...looks a little close but I won't know for sure until everything is buttoned up.
Can anyone share a pic of theirs?
Thanks much
mike0307@bellsouth.net

Last edited by miked; August 21st, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old August 21st, 2012, 01:35 PM

Mike, the reason I opted for a stock repro exhaust system was so everything is in the right place and the tailpipes position properly. I have yet to clamp everything till the rear bumper goes on so I have the correct look. The stock mufflers are a little too quiet for me but for now will do. I was thinking of the super turbo muffler but think they may be just as quiet cause they are suggested for RV and Motorhomes!... so like I said the stock system will do for now. Hope your system turns out fine and post a picture of the tailpipes when they are mounted as they should be..
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:40 AM

My next door neighbor has a muffler shop and says he can get some type of turbos that should give the sound I want. Just a slight rumble with the chambered pipes. I'll keep ya posted.
What brand system are you using? I understand Gardner is the best but big $. I opted for YearOne's since I currently run hedders and no use buying whole system til I have new rebuilt engine with stock manifolds.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:29 AM

Mike my exhaust came from Classic Exhaust. The tailpipes are from OCA member Walt Velanlunga (spelling?) he repros the original 65, 66, and 67 chambered pipes.