The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello all! m name is Mike, how ya doing?

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2011, 06:06 PM

Lightbulb Hello all! m name is Mike, how ya doing?

Hello all! m name is Mike, how ya doing?

I have been checking out your site, and I must say, you all respond kindly to others with compasion and politeness, even to newbies, I am happy to see this. I have signed up to a few others with out posting anything, and some seemed rude, esspesially to newbies, like myself. then I found you, Meehehehehe (Peter Griffen laughing) :^)

I have come to a decision and post my upcoming resto project and get your opinions and profesional input. I have seen some answers to a few of my questions on some threads here, but will state my project.

BIO: In 1995, I was 18, mom and dad put in 500 each and bough me my first car, A Beautiful 1980 blue Cutlass Supreme with white vinyl top, 260 V-8, 350-turbo tranny... factory. I drove for a few years, a friend and I rebuilt a 350 olds motor (not sure if it was a "Rocket block") drove for another year, then traded and another friend for his 260, because I wanted to restore back to oem specs, then stored in grandma's garage in 98, then I forgot I had it... till last year. I will be bringing it home this thursday and start to restore it and make it my daily driver.

Then... after storing my first gutlass, I bought an 88 classic just like my best friend of 20ish years his had a decent motor with a streight body, but needed paint, but he drove it like it was a vette, he rebuilt tranny once and rebuilt motor twice mine looked new, but burned oil. I sold mine cause it got stolen, then with a week of searching my town, knocking on doors of some deadly poeple who would have hurt me, (thank goodness i am big, unlike my buddie) and my dad who is a sherriffs officer, started to raid some houses (he was acctually looking for my car) then the rats turned in a rat. some one knew I was looking for it and told another friend of mine who had it. voala, I found it, then police raided that house, but no one was home (cowards vanished). I did get it back, but it didnt run or feel the same after that... so I sold it to buy another cherry cutlass, but she sold it before I sold mine.

I miss my 88 Classic, I wish i never sold it, it is what it is, I will look for another some day.

I am so fricken excited!!!!!! :^) I have not been able to stop thinking about my 80 for the last few weeks. My plans include body off resto, replace 260 with an olds 403, build a q-jet carb, rebuild the trans and 2.29 rear end, relace the interior and completely replace the wireing system, find another set of rally wheels (non chrome), and other smaller items, essentually make it a newish car. A friend is trying to get me to put a 454 BB chev in it and i was first thinking to put a 455 olds in it, but then I guess i will have to find alot of brackets cause it is not a direct fit (Darnit). I didnt want to do the 403 because another friend had planned on doing it to his 88 Classic, but he didnt know why to use the 403, a freind of ours said it would be cool, my buddie said ok, I ask why a 403, so a searching i have been doing, beside... he sold his 88 Classic a few years agoand now is in debt with an 08 truck he cant afford.

keep in mind that i am not looking to biuld it to race, I just want my gutlass to not be gutlass, just a little peppier. I will post before pics when I get home thursday night or friday morning if anyone is interested. I know its not a 60's or 70's muscle car looking vehicle, but it is my baby.

1) is a 403 a direct fit to replace my 260?
2) is the weight about the same?
3) how cheap can I find a decent 403? (with carb or not)
4) does anyone have a 403 near me for sale, or any distance at all?
5) has anyone else tried this on an 80?
6) if so, does anyone have pics of there project? I would love to see them.

any help and info would be super greatly appreciated by a lifetime olds lover (got the Olds fever from my grampa "Papu") RIP "Papu"

Last edited by 1980gutlass; June 14th, 2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: forgot to some info
Old June 7th, 2011, 06:40 PM

Welcome to the site!

Swapping an SBO for a SBO is pretty straight forward. All Olds blocks are externally the same, so swapping a 260 for a 403 is easy. I would strongly suggest swapping all the brackets from your 260 to the 403. It may takea while, but look on your local Craigslist for a 403. That is where I bought both my 350 and my current 330. I had to drive to Scraton, PA to buy the 350 and somewhere in Central NJ to buy my 330. Don't ask me where because I couldn't find the place I bought either of them now even if you paid me

The 350 I had was from a 1968 Delmont 88 and the guy gave me a TH400 tranny with it. The tranny worked great but did need a rebuilt since it was leaking about a quart of fluid every other day (50 miles) but I didn't drive the car every day, so it didn't matter. This combo found it's way into a 1985 Delta 88, and I was running the 1/4 mile with it and had 3.42's out back. With the th400 only got 8 MPG and when I floored it, I would watch the gas gauge drop about a 1/4 tank. When I was low on gas and did it, the "low Fuel" light came on

The 330 I have will be finding it's way under the hood of another Delta 88. The 330 has more HP and torque than my 350 did, so that will be fun. I'm sticking with a 200R4 tranny so I can run 3.73's or even 4.10's out back. I'm seriuosly thinking about keeping the wire wheel covers and putting "Corvette Ralley Wheels" 15x8's in on the back, so I can keep the wire wheel covers. Can you say "Sleeper?"

As for a 455 in an 80 Cutlass. It can be done. There is a 79 on my local Craigslist with a 455 in it
Old June 7th, 2011, 07:13 PM

Smile

Yeay!!! I was hopeing i could use my brackets and such, thank you for tellng me that and comfirming my research, I hope to rebuild the block myself with the help of a master mechanic and 30 yr shop owner.

are you serious that the 330 will pump out more ponys than your 350, that is sweet! I will check craigslist, but I am leary about it as i was almost scamed out of 800 bucks from my listing of my 94 town car. thanks for the info, woohooo!

How do you like your 85 delta 88 and is it a 2dr or 4dr? I love that body style too, I wish i could own them all, geez. hope it goes well and hope to see pics of it soon redog.

I will look for that 79 you mentioned, that would be sweet to have that in my driveway whilst i resto mine, I am giving myself 12 months. I have taken a yr off to finish school (IT stuff) and move to Kansas city, I want to have my car done when we move.

I saw a 78 cutty drive by my house on labor day and it had a for sale sign in rear window, but I havn't seen it since... I have been looking for it. I would even love it if it had a 260 in it, I would drive that whilst I resto my gutlass.

My goal is to make my 80 look as OEM as possible.

Last edited by 1980gutlass; June 7th, 2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: misspelling.
Old June 7th, 2011, 09:06 PM
same but different

Topuka Ks...thats funny Glad you found us.

More or less the 403 bolts in, as does any Olds engine.......thats the way I'd go.

You and your car will be much happy
Old June 8th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO and glad you found us.
Old June 8th, 2011, 07:05 AM

Smile I can't wait till tomarrow!!

Ya like that don71... TOPUKA! Meehehehehe!! (Peter Griffin laughing)

I can't wait till tomarrow, I feel like a kid waiting to get a new toy at the toy store or something. I bring my baby home. I am going to try to start the 260, just to tinker.
Old June 8th, 2011, 07:34 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Calm down. Tomorrow is the today we worried about yesterday
Old June 8th, 2011, 07:40 AM

That is true Jamesbo, i was excited yesterday too, my woman is getting tired of hearing about the gutlass, hahaha... but she likes purses and make up and looks at that stuff all day. at least i can go some where in my hobby, HAHA!
Old June 8th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! I like your excitement, lol! This is the best place to be for help and encouragement!!!
Old June 8th, 2011, 04:25 PM

Thanks cutlass gal! woohooo! what cutlass is in the pic?
Old June 8th, 2011, 05:52 PM

Rally Pack?

I have a Rally Pack that has the seperate guages, like tach, oil, coolant temp.

I was told that the only thing that would have to change it the collant temp sensor in the block from the single trigger to the variable reader. Is this true?

Last edited by 1980gutlass; June 11th, 2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old June 11th, 2011, 05:24 PM

Well, after about 5 hrs a few calls to AAA and a losk smith to change out the lock cylinder, I finally got her home. I took a bunch of pics, as she rode down the road on the tow truck. she is washed and all clean (outside) we are about to go clean out the junk I put in her... for some reason (some odd stuff in the back seat). I will post a few pics in a bit. I stare out the windows wishing she where complete, at least road worthy.

The Bean. :^)
Old June 12th, 2011, 10:01 AM

Get this all... and it only has 133k miles on it wow! and I still have the OEM window sticker. does anyone have a suggestion on how to preserve it, I would like to display it when it is done and sitting at a local car show?
Old June 13th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Resident Eskie

Have it laminated.
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:11 PM

Mike, I met you in a couple other threads, but for the record, welcome to Classic Olds!

Restoring your car will take a while, so be patient. Ask away with questions and make the search button up top your best friend - this site is full of answers.
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:53 PM

Smile Thanks rob, i appreciate it

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Mike, I met you in a couple other threads, but for the record, welcome to Classic Olds!
Restoring your car will take a while, so be patient. Ask away with questions and make the search button up top your best friend - this site is full of answers.
Thanks rob, i appreciate it. I remember ya. you seem very informative to others. I am building a list and by my estimate I plan to spen $6,800-$8,200 and a list according to priority, but it deserves to have her shoes hit the pavement again, I dont care what it costs me Woohoooo!

I have done some math, and it will be cheaper to put $15,000 into her than buy a $15,000 vehicle, ya know, taxes and all that crap, Meehehehe (Peter Griffen laugh)!
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Cutlass Lover

Hi Mike! That would be Teepo - short for The Prettiest One - in my sig pic above! Check out the BOP thread I posted pics in yesterday - better pics of her in there, lol!
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Hi Mike! That would be Teepo - short for The Prettiest One - in my sig pic above! Check out the BOP thread I posted pics in yesterday - better pics of her in there, lol!
Meehehehehe(Peter Griffen laughing) That is super cute! You got some goergous pics of the show, wish i was there. I can't wait to finish my girl and get her some new shoes and get her back on the pavement, Woohoooo!
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by 1980gutlass
I am building a list and by my estimate I plan to spen $6,800-$8,200 and a list according to priority ........
and multiply by 2... Been there, doing that.

I have done some math, and it will be cheaper to put $15,000 into her than buy a $15,000 vehicle,
True - and you will have a vehicle you want and like, not a generic cookie-cutter eco-box.

There is also something about those "first cars". I still have mine and it still gets me around reliably. I feel like 18 when I drive it, so thats certainly a good thing! Glad you have yours and I'm sure you are, too!

Oh - and if you have not already, order the factory service manual for your car. Best tool you will have for the price.
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:40 PM

exactly, I am glad you agree friend. :^)

True - and you will have a vehicle you want and like, not a generic cookie-cutter eco-box.

There is also something about those "first cars". I still have mine and it still gets me around reliably. I feel like 18 when I drive it, so thats certainly a good thing! Glad you have yours and I'm sure you are, too!

Oh - and if you have not already, order the factory service manual for your car. Best tool you will have for the price.

Heck ya, they are all built like cheap cans. I got mine at 18 too, thats funny. I look at her constantly, she looks rough to most, but she will always look gorgous to me. what was your first and do you have pics? I would like to see em.

OH crap!!! The book!!!! thats right!!! dangit!
I did have a hayens book (Bible) but that is long gone, can you reccomend a cheap outlet for one?
Old June 14th, 2011, 08:46 AM

A Beautiful 1980 blue Cutlass Supreme with white vinyl top, 260 V-8, 350-turbo tranny... factory. [/quote]

How do you know the trans is a TH350? I thought all 260's came with the TH200?
Old June 14th, 2011, 09:38 AM

Welcome to CO, Mike with the 1980gutlass! Love it! Also love your enthuasism! Keep us informed on the transformation of the gutlass to a runnin' Cutlass!!!!!!!!!
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:31 AM

From what I remember... Meehehehe!

Originally Posted by radioburningchrome
A Beautiful 1980 blue Cutlass Supreme with white vinyl top, 260 V-8, 350-turbo tranny... factory.

How do you know the trans is a TH350? I thought all 260's came with the TH200?[/quote]

You are correct radio chrome, they did come with th 200, but from what I remember, I had it rebuilt a year before I stowed herf away, the guy told me to look at the shape of the pan and I remember it looked completely different than the 200, it did match the pic I was looking at for the TH-350. Would the vin revel the tranny and if so, what position and code be?

The fluid did turn brown after about a year or so and I paid him $350 cash after picking up the cutlass from the dealership he had been at for 20ish years.

do you think he actually rebiult it or just changed the fluid? It did run like it was slipping and it was better after getting back. I did have a rebuilt 350sbo in it at the time and i did run kinda hard, but not to often.
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:38 AM

Thanks Mr. Nance.

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Welcome to CO, Mike with the 1980gutlass! Love it! Also love your enthuasism! Keep us informed on the transformation of the gutlass to a runnin' Cutlass!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Mr. Nance. I am super glad to be here and all the kindness from everone. I absolutly love her and will keep all posted, I did clean out the crap that I put in here, I did seem some moldy spots, YUCK!

I did try to turn her over, but it moved very slowly, the cylinder bores are probably covered in rust... dangit, any sugestions on that friend?

I was thinking to pull the plugs and spraying some wd-40 into each, the cranking her over a few times, then using a one gallon gas can as a temporary fuel tank to get her running... after changing the oil though.
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:58 AM

HAHAHAHA! yep, I'm sure I will go over budget... and I am OK with that, but I have to keep in mind that the more I add to it, the longer it will take to get her back on the pavement. I am even excited to have a carburated car too!

My original plan was to to replace the motor and tyranny with a newer fuel injected LT1 and 700R4 system from a vette, but that kind of thinking would take me 10 years, and I also realize that would be wrong to replace the olds power train. I might keep the 260, so if I find another 78-80 cutlass with a 260, I can drive it whilst I rebuild a spare.
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:42 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Thumbs up

OH crap!!! The book!!!! thats right!!! dangit!
I did have a hayens book (Bible) but that is long gone, can you reccomend a cheap outlet for one?
This is a pretty good place to find a service manual.

http://www.carboagez.com/servlet/the...ile/Categories
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:01 PM

Sweeeeet!

Originally Posted by AZ455
This is a pretty good place to find a service manual.

http://www.carboagez.com/servlet/the...ile/Categories
Thanks az455, it has a 79 manual, that is close enough for me i think. that has all kinds of olds books!

AWESOME!!!!
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:08 PM
1974 DELTA 88

No problem man, he's got manuals for just about anything. I noticed there was oddly no 1980 manual. I figured the 81 or 79 might be OK. Some of the more knowledgeable people here may know which would be more similar to the 80, not sure if Olds made any large changes going from the 70s to the 80s cars.
Old June 21st, 2011, 08:24 PM

The 79 is just like the 80

No problem man, he's got manuals for just about anything. I noticed there was oddly no 1980 manual. I figured the 81 or 79 might be OK. Some of the more knowledgeable people here may know which would be more similar to the 80, not sure if Olds made any large changes going from the 70s to the 80s cars.
Yeah the 78-80 are almost identical. 78 had a rocket emblem in the tail lights, 79 and 80 didn't, but the 80 had for head lights, 78-79 had only 2, I love this body style for some reason, (probly cause it was my very first car) I do love a few other body styles, but this one brings back great memories. 81-88 are alike, with the euro style front end.

I did get her started the other day, I might get a filter, oil and coolant to get the old stuff out. I just want to tinker, she did still sound great though.
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:36 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Gotta love the sound of these old cars...
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:25 AM

Smile Heck yeahhhh!!!

Gotta love the sound of these old cars...
You got that right, I love it!!!
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:55 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Welcome..........a Oldsmobile saved is a good thing......Cant help much on the Gbody stuff tho.............Jerr
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:01 PM

Smile Hehe

Originally Posted by BIGJERR
Welcome..........a Oldsmobile saved is a good thing......Cant help much on the Gbody stuff tho.............Jerr
No problem Big jerr. Thanks for your kindness, heck, I'm still learning my self.