And Here we go...

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2011, 05:57 PM

And Here we go...

After doing some research on this site and gathering some info I am officially starting to rebuild my 70 supreme with the help of my 8 year old. He is very eager at this point...hope he keep's it up. I picked up a 455 with C heads out of a 68 delta 88 and that is at the machine shop getting done so my project has officially started a couple of weeks ago. I let my son turn the first screw. He is quite helpfully so far and it keeps him of the laptop and DSI.

Stay tuned
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
oct2011 315.jpg (47.8 KB, 469 views)
IMG_1426_1.JPG (199.8 KB, 1880 views)
Old October 11th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Oldsdruid

I hope you can keep his interest in the car and other things mechanical. It can only help him as he grows up.

More to the point, it's good you and him time. That's speaking as someone whose dad rarely had time for him. And hell yes it hurt.

It's uncanny how much your boy looks like a 10-12 year old me.
Old October 11th, 2011, 08:49 PM

I wish you luck ,and remember have fun.
Old October 12th, 2011, 05:35 AM

Cool deal! Are you rebuilding the car in the second picture? Certainly does not look like it needs it!
Hope your son enjoys it. Teach him what all the parts do and what they are called. It can certainly help him out later, even if he does not become a full-fledged gearhead!
Keep the progress and pics posting!
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Administrator

I love the father n son projects!!! Mine started that way, but I was pushing him into it. After a while I realized his heart and soul wasn't into it! Just go slow and let him work at his own pace, and most importantly, keep it fun!!
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:16 AM

My oldest loves cars and working on them. But I also ride skateboards and Razor scooters with him, which he loves to do.

My two boys, one shifting and the other steering.

DSC00291.jpg
Old October 12th, 2011, 10:02 AM

That looks like a fun project! son Looks great in the coveralls needs some grease on them . Were are you guys located?
Old October 12th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Wish I could get my son to help like that! Dad/son bonding time.....
BTW, not meaning to throw monkeybars into the fire, BUT that front grill looks like someone put in one from a 69. See where the reveal chrome stops about 1/2 way down the center above the bumper 'tooth'? A 69 bumper looks similar to 70, but has a much higher tooth in the middle so the grille is different and so is the 'eyebrow molding'.
Compare:

Your project:
Old October 12th, 2011, 05:28 PM

Nice car, doesnt looks like it need much work judging from the photos you posted. Will you keep the same color scheme? My 71 looks very similar to yours.
IMG00762-20110718-1616.jpg

IMG00755-20110718-1615.jpg
Old October 12th, 2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Cool deal! Are you rebuilding the car in the second picture? Certainly does not look like it needs it!
Hope your son enjoys it. Teach him what all the parts do and what they are called. It can certainly help him out later, even if he does not become a full-fledged gearhead!
Keep the progress and pics posting!
Looks good from a distance but she needs some work. Both of us are learning as we go.
Old October 12th, 2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Wish I could get my son to help like that! Dad/son bonding time.....
BTW, not meaning to throw monkeybars into the fire, BUT that front grill looks like someone put in one from a 69. See where the reveal chrome stops about 1/2 way down the center above the bumper 'tooth'? A 69 bumper looks similar to 70, but has a much higher tooth in the middle so the grille is different and so is the 'eyebrow molding'.
Compare:

Your project:
Thanks...I actually learned that on here a while ago. I got a set from a 70 that needs some TLC but are pretty good.
Is it possible the hood is of a 69 ?

Last edited by CLcutlass; October 12th, 2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old October 12th, 2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by classicjoe
Nice car, doesnt looks like it need much work judging from the photos you posted. Will you keep the same color scheme? My 71 looks very similar to yours.

I am actually thinking about platinum/silver with black stripes. There is a blue one nearby me and I want to change it up a bit.
Old October 12th, 2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
That looks like a fun project! son Looks great in the coveralls needs some grease on them . Were are you guys located?

Eastern Canada....yeah they can use some grease.
Old October 12th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by CLcutlass
Thanks...I actually learned that on here a while ago. I got a set from a 70 that needs some TLC but are pretty good.
Is it possible the hood is of a 69 ?
Could be. I looked up the hoods on the GM Master Parts Guide. They are both Group 8.000
1969 - part 401758
1970 - part 404555

Usually if the same part is used from year to year, the number doesn't change. So there must be a styling change in 1970 (although probably very slight) You'll have to look closely at the front styling very closely. You won't find a part number stamped into the hood anywhere. It's really hard to tell from the angle your car is on and the lighting doesn't reveal the hood curve, but I think you have a 70 hood. Take a good look at how the grill and filler panels line up with the edge of the bumper - see if there are gaps showing.

Old October 12th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I am actually thinking about platinum/silver with black stripes. There is a blue one nearby me and I want to change it up a bit.
Yeah baby! Good choice on color! BTW, you'll have to change the vinyl roof to black too. Gonna have one gooooood looking car. Am I somewhat biased? Uhhh, check my sig pic.
Old October 20th, 2011, 05:09 PM

found the two build sheets....one under the carpet and one on top of the gas tank...check it out. Now I know what read end it has 2.56. Picking up the long block job tommorrow.

btw the 69 grills are for sale if anyone is interested.
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

found the two build sheets....one under the carpet and one on top of the gas tank...check it out. Now I know what read end it has 2.56. Picking up the long block job tommorrow.

btw the 69 grills are for sale if anyone is interested.
2 build sheets? Sure they're not the broadcast sheets? Any chance you could post a pic of one? Finding those is quite rare.
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:04 PM

very cool that your son is involved. my daughter helps me with my 74 delta. she actually catches on very fast considering that she wasn't interested until i told her that she could drive it when it is ready. figures, eh?
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:43 PM

I tried uploading earlier but it kept failing..think they are too large. I'll try again
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:49 PM

2 build sheets? Sure they're not the broadcast sheets? Any chance you could post a pic of one? Finding those is quite rare.
They look like they were carbon copies because there is writing on them that is identicle. The files were too large...had to take pic again
Attached Images
build sheet 3 (1).jpg (137.0 KB, 226 views)
build sheet 3 (2).jpg (112.1 KB, 186 views)
build sheet 3.jpg (127.9 KB, 184 views)
Old October 20th, 2011, 07:10 PM

Make sure your photos are under 1.5MB in size - otherwise they will fail.

EDIT - success! You scored big with those - preserve them!
Old October 20th, 2011, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the tip
Old October 20th, 2011, 07:15 PM

anyone have a pic of a 455 engine colour scheme. ( ie is everything blue, valve cover bolts, basepan,brackets etc.) The 350 is coming out and a 455 in so stock is not that important to me but I would like the colours to look somewhat right. I got some eastwood blue on the way.
Old October 20th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

EDIT - success! You scored big with those - preserve them!
X2. Never seen 2 BUILD sheets come out of 1 car!!! Before you try anything get really good detail shots of all the parts of the sheets. These old 'parchments' can fall apart really easy. Have a professional do the preservation.
Old October 20th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

HEY!!! I just noticed on the Build sheet- your car was delivered to Fort MacLeod in Alberta. That's only hours from where I live. (well about 4). That means that you can get extra historical documentation from GM Heritage resources in Canada if you're interested.

If you're in Texas, this car has migrated a long way!
Old October 20th, 2011, 07:31 PM

You should think about Platinum with dark blue stripes...
Old October 21st, 2011, 02:28 AM

HEY!!! I just noticed on the Build sheet- your car was delivered to Fort MacLeod in Alberta. That's only hours from where I live. (well about 4). That means that you can get extra historical documentation from GM Heritage resources in Canada if you're interested.

If you're in Texas, this car has migrated a long way!
How does one go about that ?
Old October 21st, 2011, 10:12 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Just go online to GM vintage vehilce services (link below). The fellow who looks after this is George Zapora. You fill out the info request on line. There's also a dialogue box you can use to add info specific about your car. I did not have the build sheet for my car, just the broadcast sheet.

Vintage Vehicle Services (Canada)
General Motors Of Canada Ltd.
1908, Colonel Sam Drive
Oshawa, Ontario
L1H 8P7
Canada
1-800-263-3777
(Mon-Fri 8-5 EST)

web: www.vintagevehicleservices.com
Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:29 PM

front clip is off....interior is next then the body comes off the frame. I was a bit worried on what I would find behind the fenders but it was not that bad. I need new fender bottoms. Gas tank looked new on top but leaking at the seams. renew was twice the cost of a new one.

I have to figure out how to mount the body to a rotissierie...anyone got any pics
Attached Images
driverside.jpg (102.4 KB, 166 views)
car pics 001.jpg (108.9 KB, 155 views)
Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Actually looks pretty good. Is it all surface or is there perforation? You should be able to patch it up if needed. The top of the gas tank looks almost like new! Too bad about the rest of it. Keep up the good work.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:28 PM

DS is just surface, the PS has a small hole but can patch it easy.
Old October 24th, 2011, 04:06 PM

Weeks end

this is what we accomplished this week. What have I started !
Attached Images
car pics 037.jpg (130.1 KB, 273 views)
car pics 039.jpg (145.7 KB, 275 views)
Old October 24th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

this is what we accomplished this week. What have I started !
GREAT START!!! Now you want to pull the engine, lift the body, clean and paint the chassis, redo the suspension / brakes etc. Welcome to my world.... It all starts out as "I might as well" and never ends You're doing a great job. With the front clip out of the way, you have tons of room to work with. Since your car is officially 41 years old, you 'might as well' pull the suspension and redo all the bushings etc...I FEEL YOUR PAIN..it goes away as you get into the project. At first it's a little heart stopping (or should I say heart pounding), but as you get into it, the comfort zone gets better. What I found was I spent time doing research and asking questions before I actually tore something apart. When you get a queasy feeling about whether it's right or wrong, you can always stop and ask. I get the feeling you've done this before though.
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:56 PM

Thanks Allan...I plan on cleaning the chassis up as I do not like the look underneath. I assure you I never did this before but I have turned a few wrenches.

Got a quote today for 300.00 to do frame sandblasting and it sounds like a good price to me.

I removed tonight what I can see for the body mounts which was 6 bolts, 4 behind the wheelwells and 2 upfront. The 4 in the middle just appear to be rubber mounts with no bolts. The kits that Fusick and other sells have many more bolts ?? Am I missing something.
Old October 24th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thanks Allan...I plan on cleaning the chassis up as I do not like the look underneath. I assure you I never did this before but I have turned a few wrenches.

Got a quote today for 300.00 to do frame sandblasting and it sounds like a good price to me.

I removed tonight what I can see for the body mounts which was 6 bolts, 4 behind the wheelwells and 2 upfront. The 4 in the middle just appear to be rubber mounts with no bolts. The kits that Fusick and other sells have many more bolts ?? Am I missing something.
$300.00 is a really good price for a complete frame sandblasting job. Are they coming to you or do you have to take the chassis to them?

re: Body mounts. Have a look at this thread. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ped-frame.html John could tell you exactly where all the body mount bolts are. I think you're right that there are only 6.

If you're still not sure after that, check the Wild About Cars website for the 70 Assembly manual. http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...2_-_Sec_5_.pdf
Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:54 PM

I brought a rotisserie of a guy that used it on a charger....I have no lift in my garage and I am not sure how to get the car up high enough to use this thing. Anyone have any pics of how to mount a car in a rotissierie without a lift ??
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:20 PM

you should have 10 body mount bolts.Two on the very rear two just before the rear wheels two in the middle of the car and four behind the front wheels.When I removed my body the bolt under the passenger door was missing.Good luck take your time and try not to break them
Old November 4th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Sea five
you should have 10 body mount bolts.Two on the very rear two just before the rear wheels two in the middle of the car and four behind the front wheels.When I removed my body the bolt under the passenger door was missing.Good luck take your time and try not to break them
I didn't realize there were so many body mounts. I just looked them up in my 72 Assembly manual. Here is the pdf file for 71 - it's exactly the same for 70 and 72. http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ON_2_and_3.pdf The body mounts should be dark green 'pucks'. There is also information about torque specs.

Just recently saw something about putting the body on the chassis. Just to the side of the front body mount there is a hole that is used for a line up bolt on each side of the body. It's there to make sure that when the body is fastened down, your front clip will have the right spacing and fit.
Old December 31st, 2011, 06:47 AM

Had to move off the project for a bit due to work....but back in the garage now. I have the car ready to lift the body off. glass out etc.

What colour does the dash cowl go...I have some rust there not bad but it needs to be repainted. I have some eastwood underhood black and chassis satin and wonder will one of those do. I am not sure if I am even refering to it as the right part but it is the metal part of the dash under the glass.

Last edited by CLcutlass; December 31st, 2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added another line
Old December 31st, 2011, 03:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Had to move off the project for a bit due to work....but back in the garage now. I have the car ready to lift the body off. glass out etc.

What colour does the dash cowl go...I have some rust there not bad but it needs to be repainted. I have some eastwood underhood black and chassis satin and wonder will one of those do. I am not sure if I am even refering to it as the right part but it is the metal part of the dash under the glass.
Good to hear you're back at it. What size can are you talking about for the paint? Is it brush on or spray. That makes a difference in your coverage/can

You are talking about the bit of the cowl that's just inside the windshield right? So that means you have the windshield out so you can check for any rust under the cowl trim, and metal prep the area to paint it easily? In your case, it should be satin black not gloss. (I went back to the earlier posts to look at your car) You would never paint it white to match your interior because of the reflective glare that would show up on your windshield. If you look at your trim - kickpanels, floor and door carpet, lower dash, and package tray - they should all be black too.

Quick Reply: And Here we go...