Heater box rebuild

Old March 31st, 2019, 03:52 PM

Heater box rebuild

I'm rebuilding my heater box (69, conv, 455) and I am trying to figure out what to do with one of the doors. I think it’s what they call the mode door in the service manual. When I took the Box apart it appeared that there was a foam seal for lack of a better term over that door that was dry rotted off. I bought a seal kit which I found out later that I could have made myself according to other posts out on the internet but now that I have it I might as well use it. I'm trying to figure out if one of the seals that was included in the kit shown in the picture below needs to have holes punched in it since the mode door is not solid but has two holes in the middle of it. I glued the seal on to the metal with a spray glue and reutilized the Staples that were in the metal door. I'm guessing I need to punch holes in the seal since air pressure inside the heater box might build up and likely blow the seal off of the metal over time. Can anyone confirm this guess. Thanks

Do I make corresponding holes in the seal ?

Last edited by jimvbills; April 3rd, 2019 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old April 10th, 2019, 04:37 PM

I guess I'll just punch a couple of holes in there and see what happens. Won't know the effect for a while. Car is in for paint and reassembly should be by end of may I hope.
Old April 10th, 2019, 06:53 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by jimvbills
Do I make corresponding holes in the seal ?
First. I do not own a copy of the 1969 CSM. I'm assuming you do not own a copy of the 1969 CSM. I'm assuming your vehicle has AC? With that said, I'll take a SWAG at answering your question since it's been some time & no one has answered, as yet.
From my own Section 1 of the 1971 CSM for an A-Body (CUSTOM AIR CONDITIONER), Section 1, several figures reference the MODE DOOR. It's interesting how this MODE DOOR works. You are referencing the CSM, do you not see the MODE DOOR figures in your CSM?

I'm not going to type verbatim what is already contained w/in my (and I assume a 1969) CSM, but the answer to your question in short is - yes - you need to have those holes OPEN.

A.C. Max (Fig. 1C-5)
When the AIR COND. sliding lever is moved to the MAX. position an electrical switch is closed to start the compressor and vacuum is applied to one port of the outside air door. This allows 20% outside air and 80% inside air to enter the heater assembly. The mode door is in the A.C. position.
Also, see DEFROST (Fig. 1C-3) Defrost Position

Essentially, they're the DEFROSTER OUTLETS.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; April 10th, 2019 at 07:07 PM. Reason: DEFROSTER OUTLETS
Old April 10th, 2019, 07:05 PM
Running On Empty

I might suggest you perform a search (upper RH corner of this page Search Forums) where you'll find about 14 other threads related to the MODE DOOR.

Perform your search spelled EXACTLY using each of the letters and INCLUDE the quote marks (as I have typed them below):

"mode door"
Old April 10th, 2019, 07:08 PM

Thanks Norm, I'm on page 1C-43 and have looked from 1-1 all the way to here but don't see a detailed picture of the mode door, only the schematic on pg 1C-40 and 1C-41 that shows the holes in the door but did read the description of those figures you mentioned. Although my manual says AC Recirc (Fig 1C-5) on page 1C-43 vs AC Max (Fig 1C-5) that is stated in your message above (you qualified your answer as not typing verbatim so I understand your intent). Thanks again.

jim
Old April 10th, 2019, 07:14 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by jimvbills
Thanks Norm, I'm on page 1C-43 and have looked from 1-1 all the way to here but don't see a detailed picture of the mode door, only the schematic on pg 1C-40 and 1C-41 that shows the holes in the door but did read the description of those figures you mentioned. Although my manual says AC Recirc (Fig 1C-5) on page 1C-43 vs AC Max (Fig 1C-5) that is stated in your message above (you qualified your answer as not typing verbatim so I understand your intent). Thanks again.

jim
No problem. Again, I have 71 CS w/ AC and I'm reading from a 1971 CSM. There's a possibility either your 1969 MODE DOOR and your CUSTOM AIR CONDITIONER work differently than my 1971 MODE DOOR and CUSTOM AIR CONDITIONER; or, there's the possibility they have upgraded the material (figures, verbiage, references) between the 1969 CSM & the 1971 CSM.
Old April 10th, 2019, 07:33 PM
Running On Empty

jim

Old April 10th, 2019, 07:40 PM
Running On Empty

jim-

You know what - I may be wrong. It looks like number 5 is the door itself. I was thinking the holes (number 6) were contained w/in the MODE DOOR. It does look like (after I re-examined the photos), that the two holes are not in the door itself? Make sense?
Kind of looks like the door (number 5) itself (the diagonal line in the drawing) simply moves up & down and shuttles the air. Well, I don't know what to say now.

If Joe gets to viewing this thread, he'll know.