Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

73-77 Cutlass S Door-body to body seal

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2016, 09:00 AM

73-77 Cutlass S Door-body to body seal

This is the seal running on door-body which seals the door to car-body. This is just one way to change it, which works.
Changing this is pretty straightforward, but you must take upper part of door-skin off to change this, since from the backside of the door where this seal raises to top of door-body, are hiding part of that seal and 2 plastic holders.
And in front one philips-head screw under door-skin.

There you see both ends of that seal and retainers holding them at place. As you see from pictures, my seals were shot. There runs plastic t-holders whole way through-out the seal. Just take good grip of another side of seal, and pull it out following the seal.

I used fibreglass chisel to remove any remaining glue from door after taking the seal out, and wire cutters to remove any remaining t-holders where the seal runs and attaches. But its up to you how you do it, those were my weapons of choice. Then use some sort of cleaner on parts where the glue was to ensure good attachment of new glue. Use it to places you see factory has used it, and also if you see some part of the seal not sitting good on door. My seals required some gluing from other places than factory did. Also remember yo wash under the seal now its out, theres plenty of grime after 40 years.

About glue: I wont say what you need to use, since it seems to be endless debate what is good and what is not. Just look for these things:
UV-resistant, weather resistant, wide temperature range, and remains elastic. Dont believe blindly what they say about where the glue fits, test it first to some small Place of seal to see does it react with the material and start to melt it. You dont want it to melt your seal.

I started to run new seal from rear of the door. Used a bit of glue there. Then just start to run seal through the door pushing plastic t-holders to Place. You can either bust your thumb there trying to press them in, or do something like i did. I used fibreglass chisel, pushed its nose gently against the seal and over the t-holder, and then pushed it all the way in with whole hand. Alot easier than trying to do it with your thumb. Just take care you arent using anything sharp enough to rip your new seal to pieces if you do it like i did.

Last three pictures i tooked. At first picture i just put one screw to hold the seal while i proceeded upwards of the door, makes it just easier.

At second picture my finger points to black vane, which is sign where factory used glue. Use it as factory used + more if needed.

And in last picture seal is glued and put pressure to it until it dries, since the new seal didnt fit properly.

Yep, youve done it now. Just put door-skin back and take a beer. I didnt take any but im taking lost beers back currently.

Last edited by Inline; March 31st, 2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old May 1st, 2016, 08:52 PM

Nice work!