72 A Body wood tip over Jig

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2016, 04:08 PM

72 A Body wood tip over Jig

Hi. Im working on a 72 Cutlass "S", A body. Has anybody on the site ever used a wood tip over jig to work on underside of the car? Ive seen several videos on youtube, but not for an A body. If I can get the body on its side it would make media blasting and painting the underside much easier. I cant find a rottissarie to borrow and buying one for one project for $2500 seems a bit much. Any help or ideas to get the body off the frame without 8 men lifting would really be appreciated. Thanks Scott
Old June 2nd, 2016, 06:10 PM

Have you looked for a used rotisserie for sale? Use it then resell for what you paid for it...cheaper than buying new and taking a loss.

For consideration is the cost of materials and time it will take to fabricate a wooden one....
Old June 3rd, 2016, 05:35 AM

Thanks for the suggestion VI Cutty, Ive been looking for one local in Pittsburgh and havent been able to find one. I saw some ones build on here that had the body lifted on wood and on rollers. I know from experience that it really sucks being under the body and sand blasting. Hopefully I find something so I can get on with the project.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 06:09 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by beamer442
I saw some ones build on here that had the body lifted on wood and on rollers.
That would be mine. See post #71 .
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...oration-2.html
I still havent built the outriggers so I can flip the body on it's side . That will come after I get the frame done .
Total cost so far about $150 .
Old June 3rd, 2016, 09:45 AM

Rottiserrie

If you search eBay, i bought the plans to build a rotisserie for $10 and then built one for less thank $500. Not sure if this is something that would interest you, but it worked for me. Jeremy
Old June 3rd, 2016, 11:12 AM
Mr. Johnson

Car dealers have display ramps, you can find them used for pretty cheap from a used car dealer or online compared to a rotisserie. it's no rotisserie but you can do half and half that way.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 12:45 PM
Gary

I bought this one. Worth the money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-000-LB...789979&vxp=mtr
Old June 3rd, 2016, 03:47 PM

Thats not a bad price on ebay. Im going to look into this. Appreciate all the great ideas. Thanks. Cant wait to dig into the project. I havent drove my car since 96. Just been waiting in storage for me to fix her back up. Completed restoring all the small parts over the winter.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 07:39 PM

homemade.jpg
Old June 3rd, 2016, 09:33 PM

Very creative Marxjunk, I can appreciate the ingenuity to accomplish this task without significant investment. As long as you don't put yourself or others at risk of injury, I think it's better to focus the dollars into the project itself. I know that this can be accomplished, Bob Petters restored his '40 90 Series coupe body by bolting a wood frame under the body to gain leverage to flip it onto its side to accomplish the necessary repairs and restoration. Fancy tools are great, they save time,frustration, and can yield better results depending on the scenario. Then again sometimes the most simple idea can accomplish the same thing with a minimal investment.
Old June 4th, 2016, 08:24 AM

i cant take credit for that one..i found it on the internet 8 or so years ago looking for plans for a rotisserie..and i thought..you know what..i can do that...

as a young man..money was no option..i would have never tried it..the older i get..the more i like projects.. a hands on feeling of accomplishment means more to me now than throwing money at it..

if i remember right its a fox body mustang...thats a junk trailer tongue and a furniture dolly for a body cart...and 2, 2x6s and a sheet of 3/4 plywood to tip it up...less than $100...for it all

i built a similar but used some reclaimed wood and ply wood..and used a cherry picker to roll it..i did mine for free and started at 8am and my Javelin was on its side noon...i did it by myself with no help...the only thing diff i did was made props out of used/scrap 1 in conduit so i wouldnt go over on the side of the car...and extended the cross bars so the car was up off the ground more...you can see that that car is resting on the side of the car...not a big deal..but not what i wanted...

i paid it forward and 6 of my buddies have used it, with the rule they gave it back or passed it on..and no matter what..it comes back to me when i want it..no excuses...

and of course..lol..its gone..its in Southern Indiana some where under a 70 340 dart..

i moved to KC and just didnt go get it...
Old June 5th, 2016, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by marxjunk
i cant take credit for that one..i found it on the internet 8 or so years ago looking for plans for a rotisserie..and i thought..you know what..i can do that...

as a young man..money was no option..i would have never tried it..the older i get..the more i like projects.. a hands on feeling of accomplishment means more to me now than throwing money at it..

if i remember right its a fox body mustang...thats a junk trailer tongue and a furniture dolly for a body cart...and 2, 2x6s and a sheet of 3/4 plywood to tip it up...less than $100...for it all

i built a similar but used some reclaimed wood and ply wood..and used a cherry picker to roll it..i did mine for free and started at 8am and my Javelin was on its side noon...i did it by myself with no help...the only thing diff i did was made props out of used/scrap 1 in conduit so i wouldnt go over on the side of the car...and extended the cross bars so the car was up off the ground more...you can see that that car is resting on the side of the car...not a big deal..but not what i wanted...

i paid it forward and 6 of my buddies have used it, with the rule they gave it back or passed it on..and no matter what..it comes back to me when i want it..no excuses...

and of course..lol..its gone..its in Southern Indiana some where under a 70 340 dart..

i moved to KC and just didnt go get it...
Yes, that is what I was talking about, but on an A body.