71 custom cruiser tire jack and stowage decal needed

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2014, 01:39 AM

71 custom cruiser tire jack and stowage decal needed

Anyone on this site have access to good, high resolution images of the decals for tire stowage and jack instructions for a '71 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon (also referred to as an "Oldsmobile Delta 88 Station Wagon)? Apparently, they're not reproduced anymore, and mine are pretty tattered.
Thanks in advance for any reply.

CCFan
Old January 4th, 2014, 03:27 AM

Have you check at Fusicks? They sometimes reproduce items like that.
Old January 4th, 2014, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Have you check at Fusicks? They sometimes reproduce items like that.
Never for the wagons, at least the non-Vista Cruiser wagons. I'm sure the potential market is way too small to justify their investing in having them made.
Old January 4th, 2014, 08:10 AM

Here's the stickers on the inside trunk lid of my '73 Custom Cruiser. They're still there 41 years later. I have to believe that these didn't change much over the years of the clamshell wagons.

This one measures 3.5 inches square. I love how the diagram isn't really accurate as it shows a wagon with a fold-down tailgate, not a slide-into-the-floor. Hey, if you had 100,000,000 of these printed up for your Vista Cruisers, why not use them on the Custom Cruisers as well. After all, all it does it show how the trunk lid is held up, and that was apparently the same for all the wagons.

These two measure 6.5 inches square.

This one measures 1.5 inches by 5.25 inches. Since anti-spin was available on many models over the years, including non-wagons, this one is likely available from Fusick or other decal sellers.

Finally, here's a shot of the entire trunk lid, if you wanted to see how they were actually placed by the factory. You can even tilt them a little bit here there to make them look 100% authentic!

Old January 4th, 2014, 04:13 PM

Fantastic! Thanks so much for this. I think I can import the images into a desktop program to reprint them for my wagon. Woot!
Old January 4th, 2014, 04:49 PM

If it would help you, I would be more than happy to retake these images at a much higher resolution. These are deliberately reduced in resolution to make for better uploading. If I did this, the files would likely be several MB in size, and I could send them to you using one of the large-file file sending services like A-drive, which I use often.

These were taken by me holding the camera as steadily as I could and using the camera's timer to snap the photo so I didn't shake it pressing the button. I could even set up a tripod in front of the trunk lid so that the camera would be as steady as possible.

Let me know. It would be no problem. You would need to PM me your email address.
Old January 4th, 2014, 05:00 PM

I did check the Fusick catalog, and, as I thought, they do make the jack stowage and instruction decals for many models, but not for the wagons.

They DO make the anti-spin differential decal. $5.00. The problem is that their minimum order is $25, so you'll need to come up with another $20 worth of stuff. (I resent this requirement of theirs, but that's for another thread).

I also checked the Dr. Decal site, and they have no wagon-specific decals, either.
Old January 4th, 2014, 05:08 PM

You could also check with Jim Osborn Reproductions, they have most A-B-C E body decals and I see some trunk area for Station Wagons, good people op deal with, online catalog.
www.Osborn-reproduction.com
Old January 4th, 2014, 05:21 PM

I hadn't seen the Jim Osborn site, but, after checking it out, I don't think it will be of any help.

They don't list "Custom Cruiser" in their "Oldsmobile" drop-down list. If you try the "B" and "C" body choices, "B" turns up a single jack instruction decal for a wagon, but it's for the '77 to '89 wagons, not anything before. It's also apparently only a jack instruction decal, not a jack stowage decal, unless both types of information were on one decal. (Here's where an image would help.)

Checking the "Cutlass/Vista Cruiser" section doesn't turn up any decals even for Vista Cruisers.

I thought that maybe seeing what they have for Chevy might help as the decals might be the same and more stuff tends to be reproduced for Chevy. But they don't show any jack decals for wagons, either, except for the '77 to '89 models like they do for Oldsmobile.

One other problem with the site as I see it and that I noted above is that they provide no images of the decals. I think something like that is important in making sure that you're getting exactly what you think you're getting. At least Fusick and Dr. Decal provide images.
Old January 4th, 2014, 08:28 PM

Point taken jaunty, I see though they do show the same jack usage decal w/ same mfr P# as your pic, shows $5.00, and the anti spin decal is $4.50 [but doesn't list a p# nor do I see one on your original decal] most of theirs do have OE p#'s, if no where else has them, a call to Osborn couldn't hurt. I've used them several times over the years, they've shown at Carlisle too, and they do deal on packages..bought the full set for my 70 442 for less than $50 IIRC. So best of luck custom cruiser!. Thanks Jaunty, have a good one.
Old January 4th, 2014, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Paladin31
I see though they do show the same jack usage decal w/ same mfr P# as your pic, shows $5.00,
Yes, the jack usage decal on my car is very generic. Nothing about the little images suggests that it's a station wagon.

I couldn't find any jack use instruction stickers that match mine, at least on the Dr. Decal site. None of them have the two images of the front and rear bumpers side by side as they are on my sticker. They're all with the front bumper image above and to the left of the rear bumper image with the written instructions dispersed throughout the diagram.

It's interesting how more detailed the instructions are on my car's decal. On the one for a '71 Delta, there's no mention of activating the hazard flashers nor of loosening the lug nuts but not removing them before jacking the car. Mine also says to block both sides of the diagonally-opposite wheel, while the Delta's sticker just says to block the wheel, and mine says what to set the transmission gear selector in, for both auto and manual transmission, while the Delta's sticker doesn't mention the transmission at all. That right there says that this sticker is generic as no '73 Custom Cruiser nor any CC during the clamshell era could have been had with a manual transmission.

I like how, in all of them, they actually have the front view and rear view of the car labeled, even though the headlights are right there hitting you in the face, so it ought not be too hard to tell which is which.

Here's the one, this from Dr. Decal, for a '71 Delta 88. It's typical of many of them.

and mine

I saw that Mark Cornea/Dr. Decal does have the trunk lid hold-open decal. That's pretty cool as it is definitely station wagon-specific. $6.95. Part #311. It says it's for '68 to '72 wagons, but it was clearly used on my '73.

Last edited by jaunty75; January 4th, 2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old January 4th, 2014, 09:09 PM

Mark's are nice, good attention to detail...is he on CO too? Will have to check his stuff out for the 77 when I get started, does he have a webpage? Thank you.
Old January 4th, 2014, 09:14 PM

Figures..just found their site...and they are like 1.5 hours from me. Cool
Old January 5th, 2014, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
If it would help you, I would be more than happy to retake these images at a much higher resolution. These are deliberately reduced in resolution to make for better uploading. If I did this, the files would likely be several MB in size, and I could send them to you using one of the large-file file sending services like A-drive, which I use often.

These were taken by me holding the camera as steadily as I could and using the camera's timer to snap the photo so I didn't shake it pressing the button. I could even set up a tripod in front of the trunk lid so that the camera would be as steady as possible.

Let me know. It would be no problem. You would need to PM me your email address.
I'll try working with the pics from the site first before asking you to go to that trouble. Thanks for the offer, Jaunty.
Old March 9th, 2014, 04:45 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Some Reproductions Aren't Very Good

I hope you can open these attachements. My 56 has the remains of the jack instructions decal. I found a dozen sources for "authentic reproductions" on the web. Most sources are named in this tread. All have the same item So I bought one. Clearly, not even close to the yellow original. My 4 year old grandson could draw better than the car and jack on the POS I got from a reputable source.

Anybody know where I can get a "real" reproduction?

Frank
Attached Images
Old March 9th, 2014, 07:45 AM

Have you tried Fusick? Their "Early Olds" catalog (1939-1960) does show availability of a jack instruction decal on page 72, part number D15 for your car ('56-'57 apparently used the same decal). $5.00, but they have a minimum order of $25.00, so you'll have to find some more stuff to buy if you want it.

If you don't have their catalog, go to this page

http://www.fusick.com/catalogdownload.htm

and download catalog #560.
Old March 9th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Frank Ignachuck

I like to buy stuff from Fusick because they have a catalog dedicated to old Oldsmobiles. However, I've been suspicious of the picture on the decals page of their catalog. To me, it sure looks a lot like the two junk ones I already have, particularly since we know that the original decal has a box around the words "Jack Instructions". However, for 5 bucks, I'll give them a shot next time I place an order and let everyone know if the decal comes back in yellow like it's supposed to.

Frank
Old March 9th, 2014, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
I've been suspicious of the picture on the decals page of their catalog.
What I think would help you is if you could get someone has one these decals intact on his car to photograph it and send you the picture. Then you could send it to whatever vendor claims to have what you need and ask them to make sure it really looks just like the one in the photo or you don't want it.