71 Cameo White 442 Back from the Abyss

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2016, 06:55 PM

71 Cameo White 442 Back from the Abyss

This car has been in the resto stage for some 28 years. This year I'll put full effort into it with help from a very motivated friend & the inspiration I get from looking at Johnnie5's post, 71 442 Build. As soon as I can I will post pics. When I purchased the car from a friend the engine had bad rings and a fair paint job at best. The top was shot and interior was worse. Started taking it apart and life got in the way. Went back to it from time to time but again life kept getting in the way as well as bad decisions on body and engine shop. The shop my engine was at went under water during Super Storm Sandy as well as an investment property I once owned. Took my losses and dumped the property but not the car. Took years to get my engine back. Once back in my possession I sent it to Jack Merkel Racing engines in Hauppauge, LI, New York. No affiliation to the shop in NJ. Jack & his son Scott do an excellent job. I've had work done by them in the past. When I brought the engine to the first shop money was tight and I tried to cut corners. Bad move, it cost me more in stress than it was worth.

The body work is another long story I'll address when I can get some pics posted.

As I said in the other post I purchased a 71 Cutlass Conv't to offset the wait.
This car also needs work, which 45 year old car doesn't? Wasn't looking for a show car just a driver. Will take the 350 out, clean it up with new seals, paint, 4V intake and possibly new pick up screen and oil pump. Gaskets are all leaking oil. I'll put the 455 in while I clean up the 350.

Now to answer Allan R's question. The 455 is from the 442 and is a numbers matching motor. If all goes well, I'd expect to have the 442 back together in 2-4 years. I know, cheeper to buy complete than to build. Some people hit tiny white ***** on Sunday others turn wrenches. I'm not to good with the clubs so wrenches it is. Since the engine will be laid up it gives me an opportunity to run it in the Cutlass to see if any issues come up. The correct TH400 has been rebuilt and is currently in the Cutlass, the TH350 wouldn't shift. No way I'm leaving them in the Cutlass when they are correct for the 442. I know it's a lot of work & don't mind the effort. My friend keeps asking when we are doing the swap, so with his help, I'd say a day to swap and another to complete the dressing and fire up. (In no way am I snapping back at you and hope you don't take it that way, sometimes something gets lost in translation when words are read rather than hearing a voice).

I know what everyone is thinking, buy another 455 and use that one. Rather than spend 4-6K on another 455 I'd rather put the funds into the 442. The 350 has 150 lbs or better in each cylinder and runs great. I have no intention of rebuilding it, it just needs new gaskets and can use a clean up and fresh paint. Possibly a new screen and oil pump too. Also, prior to my purchase someone broke the top exhaust bolts in the heads and it's to tight to drill out in the car and not enough meat to weld something to it. I was able to extract the other broken bolts.

In late July I will start the 442 chassis breakdown again. It sat outdoors to long and the previous paint job is shot. Anyone recommend POR15 or something else? Should I just paint it with regular chassis paint for originality? Also the body needs a lot of attention as well, but one stage at a time.

I picked up a 200 4R from 442KoneKilr and that will go back into the Cutlass with the 350. It's a column shift car so it should be challenging. I will order the set up from Shift Works, but I'll need the linkage for the carb to the trans, anybody have ideas?

The car came with a louvered hood so a W-25 hood wouldn't be correct. I think a Thornton W-25 hood will be a better choice, better modern materials. I have another aftermarket on the Cutlass and it's poor at best (no metal frame). I will hold onto the original if my next of kin decide to part with the 442, but the W-25 hood makes the look of the car complete and that's what's going on it. As for the OAI air cleaner kit, yes I will eventually install that set up, but will also use aftermarket. I would most likely do that last to put the funds towards other more necessary items. I have and will keep the original air cleaner housing. I did put a W-29 intake on the 455 when it was reassembled and kept the original as well.

As for the W-29 intake, I have 2 questions. There is a smooth hole just rear of the thermostat housing at the 10:30 position, about 3/8". Anyone know what its for? Is it for a PCV valve? If so, anyone know where I can get one that small? Next, the original intake has a 3/4'' pipe thread in the rear right for the heater control module, the aluminum has a 1/2" hole. Anyone know where I can get a 1/2'' module & possibly what year this intake is? It does have numbers but have no clue how to reference them?

I've run on to long so that's all for now. I'll post pics of both cars next time.
Old June 25th, 2016, 07:29 PM

Sounds like you have the will to complete your project. I understand about long term projects, and sometimes you need a driver or have access to one to keep the fire going while working on your project. The W-30 intake is a great addition to any 442 for saving weight while keeping it "stock". Moving up to 15" Olds rims, either OEM or reproduction, is a nice way to go if wider tires are wanted. The reproduction 15x7 SS-1 wheels with a trim ring look almost stock. I personally do not like the 16" and larger rims on these year cars, and the SS-1/SS-2 reproduction rims larger than 15" look distorted to me. Good luck with your project.
Old June 25th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well that answers the 455 question. No offence taken one way or the other. I don't play golf either....

re: TV cable. Go to the boneyard and pull the TV mount off a donor car with a 200 4R, and while you're at it, pull the cable too.

I'm confused. You say the car came with a W29 hood so a W25 hood wouldn't be correct. Then you say it's getting the W25 Thornton hood. With due respect, do you know what a W29 hood is?

1972 did not have a EGR valve.

What's a W29 intake? Are you trying to describe the W455 aluminum intake?
W1.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
W1.jpg (79.9 KB, 1 views)
Old June 26th, 2016, 10:21 AM

W-29 not the hood yes describing the intake. Do you know what the hole on the front is for?
Old June 26th, 2016, 10:24 AM

W-29 not the hood yes describing the intake. Do you know what the hole on the front is for? The picture you posted has a 1/2" threaded plug where mine has a 3/8" smooth hole.
Old June 26th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Does that 1/2" plug unthread? Only thing I can think of is that's typically where the TCS sensor is usually threaded in. If you're not going to use that feature, you can cap it. This is what the TCS for 71/72 (all engines) used.

Old June 26th, 2016, 02:01 PM

No it's smooth, about 3/8 in diameter and doesn't attach to the water jacket. If you are looking at the housing from the front it's just behind the thermo housing at the 10:30 position. Nothing in the service or assembly manuals on it. Waiting on an engine service manual to come in tha Mail. It almost looks like it could be some type of vacuum port but it's not threaded or tapered. The picture in the thread shows a threaded plug installed but I didn't post it. The other 2 ports on the front are there as well in the water jacket where the TCS or temp sending unit will go. I'll take a shot of it tomorrow when I get home from work. Thanks.
Old June 26th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Full-time Taxpayer

It's the PCV nipple. Takes the standard PCV with the addition of a rubber elbow

http://www.ebay.com/itm/69-70-71-72-...WW_eCw&vxp=mtr
Old June 26th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thanks for solving that!
Old June 27th, 2016, 07:52 AM

Yes, thank you. Does anyone have any ideas where to get the nipple that goes into the intake? Ordered the rubber 90 but without the nipple i have nothing to attach it to. Also, What book did you find that in? I have a 71 service manual and 71 assembly manual & couldn't find it. wonder if the assembly manual is incomplete. I picked it up about 30 years ago in Carlisle, PA. It was most likely a copy from the original.
Old June 27th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by zeeke
Yes, thank you. Does anyone have any ideas where to get the nipple that goes into the intake? Ordered the rubber 90 but without the nipple i have nothing to attach it to. Also, What book did you find that in? I have a 71 service manual and 71 assembly manual & couldn't find it. wonder if the assembly manual is incomplete. I picked it up about 30 years ago in Carlisle, PA. It was most likely a copy from the original.
Just so we're all clear, that PCV configuration was only used on W-30s and manual trans 442s with the dual ventilation PCV system. Both valve covers were vented to the air cleaner and the PCV valve was plumbed to the port in the intake. The pipe plug in the photo is incorrect. Non-manual trans iron intakes had the boss for the nipple but the hole was not drilled. All W-30s got the nipple since all had the dual ventilation.
Old June 27th, 2016, 05:41 PM

Thanks Joe, any ideas on plugging the hole. Was this intake only used on manual cars? Not much knowledge on W-30's but did they all come with M/T's?
Aside from rigging something up is there another option?
Old June 28th, 2016, 07:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by zeeke
Thanks Joe, any ideas on plugging the hole. Was this intake only used on manual cars? Not much knowledge on W-30's but did they all come with M/T's?
Aside from rigging something up is there another option?
Maybe I wasn't clear. All W-30s (AT and MT) got the dual ventilation PVC and used the nipple, so all the aluminum intakes got it. The non-W-30 442s with four speed ALSO got the nipple on the cast iron intake used on those cars. Non-W-30 442 AT cars did not get it and the hole in the intake was not drilled on those cars.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 10:43 AM

Finally got to the yard to take some pics where the car is, ehm, "resting" for the last 8 years. Believe it or not, that's part of a 442. The heart has been done since May. IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg
Old October 22nd, 2016, 12:42 PM
72 Olds CS

theres a couple studs that go on the water pump for accessorie mounting i dont see them on your WP

also the TCS would typically go on the other side and temp sending unit goes where TCS is.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 06:37 PM

Just a test to see if this works.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 06:45 PM

If anyone is following this post, this is attempt #5 at restoring this car. It's been stalled for the last 27 years, so I hope I can see it through this time.

Finally got it back to the neighborhood today. Left it out in the weather for 8 years to long. Always on the back burner. Big mistake, a lot of the parts are now shot. Young kids tend to be needy. The last time this car was on the road was 1990 according to the inspection sticker & I never drove it when I bought it, so I'd estimate it's been mine for 27 years. Not going crazy with NOS since those parts are out of control right now. I have may parts accumulated over the years and what I do not have I'll go reproduction when I can. Anyway her are the latest pics.
Attached Images
442 Front left.JPG (2.72 MB, 35 views)
442 Front Right.JPG (2.74 MB, 34 views)
442 Front.JPG (2.79 MB, 33 views)
442 Posi Tag.JPG (2.05 MB, 34 views)
442 Rear Left.JPG (2.15 MB, 34 views)