'70 442 resto expertise help

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2010, 04:13 PM

'70 442 resto expertise help

I have a major project underway. It's a Sebring Yellow convertible from Atlanta and it's been slow. Got the 455 rebuilt and looking for body advice. I have the car to a rolling chassis and all the panels save the doors(sport mirrors, front fenders, OAI hood, hood tooth, trunk lid, and rear extensions) off of the car for blasting, priming, and painting from a professional shop. Advice on cost and any steps of caution whom have done this is greatlay appreciated. I am taking it back to stock, but will be a car I keep and drive so no trailer queen. Would love to hear thoughts. Thank you!
Old September 10th, 2010, 06:20 AM

photograph every part of that car, and I mean every part of that car and document and have them sign what you bring in. If the car is together go over everything and have them sign something that shows it works or doesn't. If the clock doesn't work, that's fine but when you get it back the speedo should work if it was when you brought it in. Also have them provide an estimate and sign something that says they will update you weekly on hours and cost as well as not going beyond the estimate without your approval. Cost can be any amount you can dream of - or have a nightmare about - all depends on shape. whats being done and hourly rate (as well as ability) I've seen crap jobs from places that do 300,000 restos.
Old September 10th, 2010, 04:20 PM

Ditto's on what Steven said, that is great advise. Ive started on a project that sounds alot like yours. I'm lucky to have a very good friend that is going to do my body and paint work. He told me what he needs for an hourly rate and I will pay him as we go. I told him not to get too far ahead of me on the work, so I dont end up to far behind on payment. Also, get on the same page with your guy as to what a driver will look like compared to a trailer queen. Opinions on these vary quite often. WHAT EVER YOU END UP DOING, POST PICTURES HERE, so we can see your progress! Dan