'67 Delmont - Paint Started

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2013, 04:25 PM

'67 Delmont - Paint Started

Attached are a few photos of the Delmont with its new metalflake gunmetal stripes. There are also gunmetal stripes following the side body lines on the fenders, doors, quarters and around the wheel wells. The rest of the car (all that is shown in black primer) will be the metalflake red that is shown on the inside of the trunk. With the FlakeBuster you get 100% coverage with the flake. One step in the process is to let the clear set up after applying the flake and actually rob off the excess with a vinyl glove.

What a b&*%% to paint. The process is to apply base coat (in this case silver), a coat of clear, the flake (gunmetal) out of the FlakeBuster, and a couple of coats of clear--that's one day.... Day 2 involved 3 heavy coats of clear. Now it's ready for wet sanding and the final 3 or so coats of clear. Next week we get to do this all over with the red.

You can't really tell from the pictures but that metalflake is blinding (I know this from taking the cowl outside to look at in the sun).

When this is complete (hopefully in 2 weeks) I'll ask my wife to take pictures on her iPad which has a really good camera.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds Front Gunmetal iPhone.jpg (29.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg
Olds Front Side Gunmetal.jpg (51.7 KB, 12 views)