Need help getting started restoring '68 Cutlass conv

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2007, 03:48 PM

Need help getting started restoring '68 Cutlass conv

I need some pointers in getting started restoring a 1968 Cutlass S conv. The family has had the car since it was new so I know the history. It has a 350/Jet-away trans/2.78 rear.

I would be happy to get it back on the road and I can work later to upgrade the trans and rear gears over the winters.

I need some frame work done as it was rusty over the axles on both sides and was repaired but is not aligned. The left rear sags slightly and needs to be moved up and the frame re-welded or a replacement found before the quarters can be worked on. The local shops want me to pull everything off before they will look at it.

Should I try to get it fixed or do the task of pulling the body off the frame and switching frames? Where does one support the body to pull the frame and I assume you want it backed into the garage so the frame can be rolled forward once the body is lifted?

Also looking for good quality quarters and patch panels for the fenders. I have a body man lined up but I need to get the frame taken care of and detail the engine area before he will start on it. I have the left fender/hood off and most of the nose pieces loose.

I am looking for a decent driver out of it and not show quality. It is a fun car to drive and I want to put it back that way. Any help getting started will help out. Mainly looking for where to get good parts and what order things should be done in. I can post pictures if interested. Thanks!

-Earle
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Earle,

The frame on a convertible is not the same as a sedan. It is "boxed" for reinforcement.

This site is a Buick convertible redo, but it will give you a pretty good gaze at what you are looking at: http://members.shaw.ca/ritc1/again.html

Someone may know a better site that is more Olds specific, but an A-body is an A-body for a lot of things. And this guy really details everything pretty well.

Good luck and welcome!

C.J.
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:54 AM

im just about 45 minutes to hour away from you in new bremen. a good place to look for things on a cutlass is yearone.com or usa parts supply in va. www.usapartssupply.com. have fun chris
Old July 15th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the help. I went to the GoodGuys show today in Columbus, OH. Talked to YearOne and got their CD catalog and discount coupon. I did find someone locally that does frame off and frame on restorations and will fix the frame in place. Now I need to get it there and get that and the engine compartment detailed then I send it to the body man for a few months while I collect parts to go on it once it comes back! Hopefully get it back on the road for next summer then start improving on it!