67 Cutlass Supreme to 442 Clone project

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2014, 04:00 PM

67 Cutlass Supreme to 442 Clone project

I decided to start a build thread. I have a all done 67 442 convertible I have had since 79. The left quarter panel is off of my first car. (Dad took it all apart cause he drove it and said nope you can't drive that car then I bought another and another and he gave up)
This car will be for the amazing woman in my life who not only puts up with my passion for these cars but also supports and helps me do stuff on them. We wanted a column shift auto or 4 speed bench seat car for a daily driver for her. So, we found this 67 Cutlass Supreme orignally Gold with a white top and parchment (the off white parchment) bench seat wtih ac and power windows. It had a later 350 installed with a th350 and a aftermarket floor shifter. Interior is somewhat there and in poor shape. Keeping in mind it is going to be a driver we did not want to do a full restoration or even close to one like we did on the convertible. So, The 350 runs good and actually is a great everyday engine so it will stay. To wake it up some I will put a different intake and a high quality tune to get it running great. The car was owned by a guy that was trying to fix it up but did not have any budget to do so. It has new 2 1/2 exhaust with turn downs at the rearend. I will add tail pipes to make it sound better and not so loud in the car. Dash was in really bad shape and I had a nice one with a tan dash pad so it is going in. Someone put some kind of Japanese bucket seats in it. I have a factory power split bench. More than likely will get new front and back seat covers the rest of the interior I can do in good used parts I have collected over the years. Interesting it is an AC car with clear glass. 3rd one like that I have owned. The rearend is the correct date code a friend needed for his W30 so I pulled it and we did some parts swapping. I am going to put a 3:23 posi in it. It already had a nice set of US mags slot mags on it with 60 series 14 inch tires. They will stay. I will put boxed rear control arms on it and a rear sway bar along with a late 70's trans am front sway bar and a quicker steering box. It is 4 wheel drums and that too will be up graded to disc. It was repainted maroon at some point and had the vinyl top removed. I am going to put the a white vinyl top back on and we are going to paint it the really cool blue we are seeing on the new Ford trucks. Changed to a 442 hood and all the emblem holes were filled at some point so we will add 442 emblems as well as the grill and grill bar and headlight doors, I will also black out the taillight bezels and trunk molding like a 442. Should be a blast to drive. We plan to drive it in almost all but snow. So, not really worried about it being a clone. Just wanted to do one. It is a nice rust free car and we plan to have a good time driving it and fixing it up.

I still haven't figured out how to post pictures on here. I will start a photo bucket on it next week to have a catalog of it's progress. It is a driver now so we plan to do it as we drive it.
Old March 14th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a fun project, lets see it.
Old March 14th, 2014, 04:21 PM

Looking forward to following along I like the auto but in my book nothing cooler then bench seat 4 speed cars love em
Old March 19th, 2014, 08:25 PM

Actually we are seriously considering a 4 speed or even a 5 speed changeover. I have all but the trans so wouldn't be too hard. Being a late 70's 350 I might luck out and it have a drilled crank but, I do know what it takes to change it if needed.
Old January 14th, 2015, 05:44 PM

So, we have been driving this car for some time and decided we really wanted her in a 442. We found a 5vy correct original 442 bucket seat console car with the entire running gear intact we are going to redo for her. I actually have two now. One for sale in cars for sale and this one which is a antique pewter with black interior and black vinyl top car. I hope we have it on the road in a few months. Frame and running gear so far done. All original equipment 400E C heads, correct original Muncie M21 and 3:90 rearend. We will keep that for now but I anticipate changing to a 3:55 to make it more driveable. I am even considering going to 3:08 with an M20 just depends on how we end up driving it. We have our 67 convertible to enjoy for now and it is a highway cruiser with an automatic so we will see.

I will post pictures as we get more into it in the next month.
Old January 15th, 2015, 05:04 AM

Cool beans I have an m20 and a 3.08 in my cutlass instead of the 350 It will now be 455 curious how that will go, have not driven mine yet and the pace I work at you might do the conversion well before me anyway love the 66-67 s looking forward to your build