1970 Olds 442 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2023, 05:37 PM

Thanks Andy, Jimmy and BackInTheGame. With a little manipulation and persuasion, the new fuel pump to carburetor line is in. On to the next challenge!

Jim

New line
Old June 14th, 2023, 05:52 PM

Looks Great!! Nice work!
Old June 29th, 2023, 07:46 PM

Dressing the Engine

Hi Folks

Been working on dressing the front of the engine. Restored the original alternator and installed onto the engine. Next, moved on installing the power steering pump assembly. All of the components are original including the brackets, hoses and pump. Cleaned the brackets and pump and repainted them. The low pressure hose had weakened at the end to the pump so I replaced it. Since it had a yellow line, I painted the new hose to mirror the original. The high pressure line was solid so I decided to reuse it. The original GM part number and white line are still visible. I got my protractor out to set the orientation, 30 degree for the high pressure line and 45 degree (per the PIM). I decided to reuse the original push clamps (Hope this won’t bite me in the butt but they were in solid condition). Thanks to all the CO members who have documented their restorations before me so I knew to install the battery ground to the block before installing the power steering assembly! Would have been impossible after the fact!!

Jim

Original Alternator on the right, Aftermarket on the left

Front of original Alternator before restoration

Original components, rectifier, diodes, voltage regulator and capacitor

Painting the case

Finished components

Finished Alternator rear view

Finished Alternator front view

Original date codes

Alternator installed

Fuel lines with Swan Gas stamps

Lower power steering bracket with original spacers

Complete power steering front bracket

Painted low pressure line to replicate original

Original high pressure line line with GM part number

Secured battery ground
Old June 29th, 2023, 08:08 PM

Looking awesome.

I wish I had seen this before installing my power steering.

Thanks to all the CO members who have documented their restorations before me so I knew to install the battery ground to the block before installing the power steering assembly! Would have been impossible after the fact!!
Old June 30th, 2023, 01:42 PM

Looks good..... Where did you get your engine paint from ??
Old June 30th, 2023, 02:18 PM

Thanks tkcutlass and Ralley Kid! The chassis is almost complete. Installed the power steering pulley (had to file the slot for the key before it would slide on smoothly). Installed the restored date correct starter. Next up the Gardner Exhaust System.

Ralley Kid, the engine paint is from Thornton Reproductions:

832 Mine Road
Quakertown, PA 18951

(610) 282-2494
www.ThorntonMuscleCars.com

Fan and power steering pulley

Restored starter

Correct part number and date

Engine Paint

Old June 30th, 2023, 03:44 PM

Thanks Jim.. Keep up the good work.....
Old July 6th, 2023, 07:31 PM

Back to the Interior

Hi Folks:

Work on dressing the motor came to a halt when I couldn’t find the new, larger lower radiator brackets for a new four core aluminum radiator. I haven’t misplaced many parts in the last 9 years but after looking in every box and shelf, I finally had to admit defeat and order some new ones! So I decided to shift focus to working on the interior. I had ordered some aftermarket seat backs and headrests but when I attempted to assemble them, they did not fit properly. Decided to re-dye my originals that fit like a glove. Came out great. Next, I moved onto the 8 track player. Re-dyed the housing dark blue and reassembled. Also, drilled out the rivets on the horn assembly to access the rubber center that needed to be dyed dark blue as well. Took apart the faceplate to the AM/FM Stereo Radio to repaint in flat black. Think it turned out great. Next moved to the dash pad to install the chrome bead. Thanks go out to Andy for documenting his installation. Really helped! Have to admit I needed to pour a glass of wine before I started drilling 1/8” holes in a pristine dash pad! While a bit challenging to straighten a very curved bead, I finally came out victorious! Felt great to have it done. My car was built the first week of October 1969, and my bead was glued to the dash pad. The glue had yellowed after 50 years, and looked messy. The pressed in tabs secure the bead in a much cleaner finish. Next, onto the reassembling instrument panel and dash pad.

Jim

Original seat backs and headrests

Dying the 8 track housing

Finished product

Dyed center in dark blue

Taping Radio faceplate for paint

Finished faceplate

Chrome bead installed!
Old July 6th, 2023, 07:59 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

Jim,

Great work! Looks like you have a 71/72 woodgrain on the 8-track deck.
Old July 7th, 2023, 12:47 AM

Looks great Jim. Sorry I missed your call yesterday. I am over in London. I know I hated to drill more holes in the dash pad also , but the barbs hold the bead much better than the glue. And you don’t have to worry about seeing the glue residue. Coming along nicely.
Old July 7th, 2023, 03:23 AM

Looking good Jim. I bet it feels good to get some stuff done
Old July 7th, 2023, 06:31 AM
4R5

Really nice detail work!
What brand paint did you use for the 8 Track housing & horn ring? SEM? Kolor Korrect?
Old July 7th, 2023, 07:25 AM

Thanks all for the kind words. It is nice to feel like I’m getting closer to the finish line. The detail work is time consuming but worth it in my opinion. Just like the chrome bead with sloppy yellowed glue had bothered me for years, so would a radio faceplate with sloppy Testers brushed on paint would continue to be the first thing I would see! I’m using Kolor Korrect interior dye/paint with Bulldog Adhesive Promoter. I’ve been very pleased with the color based on my trim code. So nice to see all the shades of blue come together. Jimmy, thanks for pointing out the 8 track tape faceplate being a 71-72! Now I’m on the hunt for a 70 faceplate!

Jim
Old July 7th, 2023, 07:02 PM

Instrument Panel Reassembly

Hi folks:

Back at it working on the Dash. Reassembled the instrument panel to the dash pad. Cleaned up the headlight, wiper and convertible top switches for installation. Made sure all the grounding strips were back in place to ward off any electrical gremlins. Cleaned and installed the map and courtesy light harness. Cleaned up the main dash harness/fuse panel and repositioned the the pins in connector block to accommodate a rally gauge from idiot lights. Love seeing the original GM harness part number label.

Jim

All grounding strips in place with map/courtesy light harness

Cleaning up main dash/fuse block harness

Original GM label

Idiot gauge pin out

Repositioned pin out for Rally gauge

Pin out documentation from ClassicOlds Sticky
Old July 10th, 2023, 08:03 PM

Glass Alignment and Radiator brackets installed

Hi Folks:

Started to install components on the firewall (antenna wire, front speaker, ductwork, etc) in anticipation of installing the completed Dash this week. Made the mistake of rolling up the quarter and door windows and found them to be out of alignment. Spent the next couple of hours getting them adjusted (as well as can be done without the pillar and convertible moldings in place) but think the fit is pretty nice. Today, mocked up and welded new radiator support brackets to accommodate an aluminum 4 core radiator. Ironically, pulling the original radiator that probably could have been re-cored started this project! Plan to install the radiator support this week and test run the engine before putting the body back on the chassis.

Jim

Passenger side alignment

Driver side alignment

Radiator mock up for bracket position

Good alignment

Lower Brackets installed and painted
Old July 18th, 2023, 04:35 PM

Radiator Support and Exhaust system installation

Hi folks:

Continued to ready the engine for break in. Installed the radiator support with help from my wife (definitely a two person job to balance and get the bushing/bolts installed). The mockup of the radiator in the support placed the new welded brackets in the correct position. The radiator and side molding went in smoothly. The new transmission cooling lines required some persuasion to fit but turned out nice. Decided to use the engine harness to start the engine for break in. Cleaned and re-wrapped the harness and installed to the starter noting the spades for starter solenoid (purple) and ignition (black) for connection to engine stand. With the harness in place, moved on to the Gardner exhaust. Can’t say enough about how nice the Gardner Exhaust system is. The fitment is perfect and labeling and instructions are great. In the instructions, the process suggests placing marks (2”) for sliding the muffler into the exhaust manifold pipe. I decided to use old radiator clamps around the marks to keep the muffler up against the mark. Worked well. Did the same for the tail pipe into the muffler. I did not tighten the clamps. Will wait for the body and bumper to be back on the frame to make sure the beautiful chrome tips are positioned precisely in the bumper cutouts. Next, used some clamps to temporarily hold down the heater core on the radiator support at about the same height as it would be if it was installed at the firewall. Decided it would be easier to include the heater core in the engine test/break in than it would be to find a 5/8” to 3/4” adapter to bypass the heater core! I guess the good news is that I can make sure the core doesn’t leak before installation in the firewall! Getting excited to hear the 455 come to life after all these years! Break in tomorrow! Fingers crossed! 🤞

Jim

Radiator support installed along with new trans cooler lines

Had to manipulate these lines to fit and clear oil filter and each other

Break-in oil

NOS AC Delco plugs

Beautiful Gardner Exhaust

Great fitment and awesome chrome tips. If you look closely you can see the heater core clamped on the passenger side radiator support
Old July 18th, 2023, 05:10 PM
Banned

I feel like I can hear it from here already. Nice work 👍
Old July 18th, 2023, 05:33 PM
Shoveling Snow

Can you send me a photo of the trans ID tag Please?
Old July 18th, 2023, 07:15 PM

Thanks No1oldsfan! Hairy Olds, Just PM’d you a pic of the trans ID tag.
Old July 19th, 2023, 05:32 AM

VERY Cool! I've been living vicariously through your project, and just love watching it all come together. Fantastic work, and great eye - and dedication! - for level of detail!! Awesome!
Old July 19th, 2023, 07:37 PM

It’s Alive!

High Folks:

Success! After a short 9 year hiatus since I actually pulled the engine 😀, it lives! Was a great feeling to hear it roar! Was temperamental at first but the carb had been tested at sea level and was rich at 8600 feet. After leaning it a bit, adjusting the choke and setting the timing, it took off! A huge milestone in the journey! Was nice to test and break in the engine while the body was off in case of any issues. Didn’t find any leaks except for a small drip from the thermostat housing onto the intake manifold. Seems like no matter how much sealant you put on the thermostat housing it leaks under pressure! Only a minor issue that is easy to fix! All in all, a great day! Will dial in the carb tomorrow and then mate the body to the chassis!

Jim

Well, was going to upload an 18 second video of the engine running but apparently the 32.8M file exceeded the 20M limit! Oh well, take my word for it, the engine sounds great!

Here are a few pics of the test set up.

Test Stand: oil pressure and water temperature did not require battery power. I used the factory engine harness and battery cables with the horn relay as a connection point to supply power to the starter solenoid and coil.

Heater core included in the cooling system test and 5 Gallon gas can provided fuel to the fuel pump

Old July 20th, 2023, 06:08 AM

Nice job Jim.
Old July 29th, 2023, 08:37 PM

Tuning and Interior Prep

Hi Folks:

Checked the plugs after break-in and they were very black. Decided to pull the carburetor to check primary metering jets for size and re-jet. Was expecting 70/1000 jets and found 71’s. I had the carburetor rebuilt/restored many years ago and I expect the builder increased the jet to 71’s for the current fuel at sea level which makes the mixture pretty rich at 8600 feet. Put in 69’s and restarted the engine. Fired up immediately and seemed much happier. Will pull a plug tomorrow and check again. Was difficult to adjust idle mixture because the engine seemed pretty hot which could mean it’s running a little lean. Could need 70’s but will continue to tune.

While I had the carburetor off, it was a good time to pull the thermostat housing that was weeping through the gasket. I posted separately about this issue but the fix was to Emory cloth the housing smooth on a flat surface and using Permatex Thermostat and Water Pump Gasket Maker without a paper gasket. Worked like a champ. Since the cure time is 24 hours, I shifted gears to the interior and installed sound deadening to the floor. Bought a kit from Flatline. Fit pretty well but had to make quite a few cuts to accommodate wiring. Think it came out nice.

Jim

After initial break-in time, plugs showed overly rich mixture.

Initial 71/1000” jets

New 69/1000” jets

Emory smooth thermostat housing

Flatline sound deadening front

Flatline sound deadening back seat

Old July 30th, 2023, 07:14 AM

Awesome Jim. Funny story about a thermostat leak. I had just got a car running and had a small leak at the housing. Put a new gasket in, filed the housing flat and still leaked. Then had an epiphany and cranked the hose clamp a turn. Sealed up. The damn hose clamp was loose. Always check the simple solution first. Silly me!
Old July 30th, 2023, 07:46 AM

Andy, had a similar experience on my 69 Buick Skylark! Changed the water pump gasket 3 times (including breaking a bolt into the block through the water pump and having to drill it out and re-tap the hole) before I released that the drip was from the lower radiator hose! Tightened the clamp and no leak! Ugh, I felt pretty dumb and swore I’d take this secret to my grave but it’s too funny to not share!😀
Old June 26th, 2024, 06:01 PM

Finally back in the garage

Hi folks

Been quite a long time since my last post. Our annual migration to Florida for the Winter in October, returning in June limits garage time in Colorado on the 442. But I shut down work at the end of September because I just wasn’t happy with the Mondello JM 20/22 cam I used in my build thinking it was an upgrade over the factory cam. To be honest, the thought of having to tear down the engine test stand and top end of the engine to replace the cam was a downer. But, to add insult to injury, when I tried to removed the distributor, it wouldn’t pull out of the block. I tried to wiggle it a bit and finally it came out but it pulled the oil pump rod out with it! For anyone who’s assembled a 455 on an engine stand knows there is a retaining clip that keeps the oil pump rod from falling out the bottom of the block when the engine is upside down. Ugh! This was enough for me to close up the garage until my return from Florida!

Rejuvenated from my time in Florida, I jumped back in the garage and went to work. After much prying, I was able to get the valve covers, intake and timing cover off. That Permatex really makes it difficult to break things apart! The Mondello cam came out without any trouble. I bought a factory NOS GM cam (#400165) for a 70 455 AT on eBay still in its original box when it was manufactured back in 1985. Pretty cool to see the dealer’s part order and date! Installed and degreed it. Dead nuts on! (intake lobe centerline at 118.5 degrees and exhaust at 110.5). Was excited to be putting things back together but still was worried about the missing retaining clip somewhere in the engine. Decided to get a magnetic flex rod from Harbour Freight and go fishing from the front of the engine through the open timing cover. After about 5 minutes, I heard a click! Fish on! When I pulled the flex rod out, the missing clip was attached! This was great news! However, it was missing a couple of tiny teeth. I continued to fish for them but no luck. Flushed oil through the distributor hole a couple of times hoping to find them after straining the oil but no luck. Going to roll the dice. Don’t think they will make it through the filter.

Spent several hours carefully removing valve cover and intake gaskets and mocked up the intake manifold gaskets after cutting holes for exhaust crossover blocking plates. Plan to install the intake tomorrow. Hopefully, the engine build is heading in the right direction! 😀

Jim

Mondello cam removed

Missing oil pump rod retainer with missing teeth

NOS GM #400165 AT cam

Dealer order date 10/30/85

NOS GM cam installed

NOS GM cam

Mocked up intake manifold gaskets with crossover blocking plates
Old June 27th, 2024, 02:55 AM

AWESOME restoration
Alain platinum 442 4spd factory A/C
Old June 27th, 2024, 05:30 AM

Those teeth are likely in the oil pan. Unless you can determine that those teeth couldn't pass through the pickup screen, I'd be pulling the oil pan. Not all of the oil always passes through the filter.
Old June 30th, 2024, 05:40 PM

Thanks Alain and Maxi426. Maxi426, you got me wondering about those teeth so I decided to break one off the retainer and see if it would pass through the oil pick up screen. I had the original that I removed and replaced with a Melling (M22FHV). The tooth would not pass through the original oil pick up screen. It’s an assumption but if the replacement Melling screen meets the specification of the original, then the tooth shouldn’t be able to pass through the screen. Here are pictures of the original and Melling replacement.

Jim

Factory original oil pump screen

Melling oil pump screen
Old September 1st, 2024, 08:11 PM

The 455 is alive!

Hi Folks:

Back from the Keys after lobstering for a couple of weeks. After braving tropical storm/hurricane Debbie, was a successful hunt.

Cranked up the 455 on Monday. Fired right up and after setting the timing, was smooth as butter! Ran the engine for 30 minutes at about 1900 rpm to break in the Cam. Dialed in the carburetor adjusting the idle mixture screws maximizing manifold vacuum and set the idle rpm at 750. Thrilled with the NOS GM factory original Cam. Well worth the time and effort to tear down the engine top end to replace the aftermarket Cam. Next up, dropping the body back on the chassis!

Jim

Was going to attach a video of the engine start up but exceeded the 20M data limit! Oh well! Take my word for it, was awesome! Nothing like the Olds rumble!
Old September 2nd, 2024, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by jimlabo
Hi Folks:

Back from the Keys after lobstering for a couple of weeks. After braving tropical storm/hurricane Debbie, was a successful hunt.

Cranked up the 455 on Monday. Fired right up and after setting the timing, was smooth as butter! Ran the engine for 30 minutes at about 1900 rpm to break in the Cam. Dialed in the carburetor adjusting the idle mixture screws maximizing manifold vacuum and set the idle rpm at 750. Thrilled with the NOS GM factory original Cam. Well worth the time and effort to tear down the engine top end to replace the aftermarket Cam. Next up, dropping the body back on the chassis!

Jim

Was going to attach a video of the engine start up but exceeded the 20M data limit! Oh well! Take my word for it, was awesome! Nothing like the Olds rumble!
Great work Jim. Looking great. Love when the new engines roar to life.
Old September 2nd, 2024, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by jimlabo
Hi Folks:

Jim

Let's be clear about the cam, the original cam you installed was not recommended by me. In fact I tried to steer you to into a mild grind seeing the altitude and all.
Old September 2nd, 2024, 08:51 PM

Mark:

Great to hear from you! How have you been? Are you enjoying Texas? Yes, you cautioned me about the cam and in fact I bought a cam from Spiro at Red Line Racing cams along with Eaton lifters but when I degreed the cam, it was off by 6 degrees on the exhaust. I degreed the Mondello cam and it was as advertised so I installed it. Was my decision at the time and in hindsight probably a poor choice, given what I researched after the fact about the Mondello but live and learn. I decided to install a NOS GM factory original cam (400165) that I found on eBay and was glad I did. I reduced the jets in the Rochester by 2/1000’s (71’s to 69’s) for the altitude prior to changing the cam and was able to adjust the idle mixture screws to maximize the vacuum. Unfortunately, with the Mondello cam, the vacuum was not strong enough to pull the metering rods into the jets so the idle mixture screws were ineffective. Guess I could have changed the spring but decided to go back to factory. Turns out that even though it was extra work, I was able to correct a weeping water pump. Also, not sure if it was the sharp rise in the Mondello cam or the Eaton lifters, but the engine sounded like a loud sewing machine at the lifters. I replaced them with Johnson Hylift lifters when I changed the cam back to factory and the 455 purrs like a kitten. Very pleased with the outcome. Your machine work was exacting and precise and eliminated any concern for tolerances! Thanks again for all your help and insight!

Jim
Old September 4th, 2024, 07:13 AM

Hi Jim,
What did you use for a radiator so many options I'm trying to decide on one for my 70 cutlass sx build.
THANKS
John
Old September 4th, 2024, 10:12 AM

John:

I used a Be Cool Aluminum Radiator that was specified for the 442. It’s a 3 core so I had to change the brackets on the radiator support and top plate. The radiator comes powder coated in black to replicate the factory original look. Dissipates heat very well which is important to me since the factory radiator overheating was the reason for the start of this project 10 years ago!😀

Jim
Old September 4th, 2024, 11:24 AM

Thanks Jim
Old September 19th, 2024, 07:39 PM

Interior work

Hi folks:

With the engine complete, I’ve been focused on the interior. But before starting on the interior, I finished up the radiator support with the restored grills, light buckets, bezels and new bulbs. Next, I focused on replacing the hand cranks with power windows. Required testing the new wiring and regulators before modifying the body and doors to accommodate the wiring. I used a hole saw (2 1/4”) from under the inside of the dash and a 2” bit with a 90 degree drill for the doors. Was nice to make the holes without pulling the doors! I have to admit that I was anxious drilling holes into beautifully painted jambs but came out great. Fished the wiring and hung the crossover wiring in the factory routing position. Next, removed and replaced the regulators. Much easier to do when you have already aligned the glass. Just mark the positions of the stops and you are done. I pulled the glass, then loosened and moved the center post, and the regulator came right out. I positioned the new electric regulator at 80 degrees so I could easily access the three nuts to reattach the window glass. I connected power to move the window upwards to reinstall the stops and tighten the nuts. Tomorrow, I’ll work on the 1/4 glass in the rear.

Jim

Restored grills, buckets, bezels and new bulbs

Wiring tested out correctly

Holes drilled on right

Holes drilled on left

Factory boot right

Factory boot right

Fished wire left

Fished wire left

Crossover factory wiring position

Rear wiring routed along factory position

Old September 20th, 2024, 06:14 PM

Very nice! strong work, keep it up
Old September 20th, 2024, 07:03 PM

Looks great!! Can't wait to see the finished product.