1969 Cutlass S rebuild

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2010, 06:10 AM

1969 Cutlass S rebuild

Gang
Well we are a year into the frame off rebuild. I haven't posted in so long that my previous posts have dropped off. Kids and sports got in the way. Now it is winter outside and the garage is my santuary.

Anyway. I have cleaned up and repainted the frame with POR15. I have the suspension back together and now onto the Fuel line. For the fuel line I was thinking of reusing the factory line. The car came from Texas so i had to lightly sand off the road grime and rust to clean it up. On portions of the fuel line there was a heavy material that of course peeled off easily. I checked Fusicks and didn't see anything to replace this. Curious what you guys have done?

Next the car did not have a fuel return line whats so ever. Curous if one the 69 cutlass ever had this. I find that odd. If so does anyone have any pics or diagrams on how the return line traveled back to the tank?
Old December 15th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Randy C.

From my own experience, replace the fuel line while you have the body off. If anything, it's just good insurance. I tried to get by with my fuel lines on the '68 442 and it didn't work, even though they had never really been exposed to moisture or anything that I thought would make them rot, and they looked perfectly good on the outside. But rot they did and the underneath of my car looked like Niagara Falls when I first tried to start the car. Check Year One - they have "fuel tank-to-engine fuel line" replacements in either mild steel or stainless.

As for a return line, I thought only the high performance engines got that (i.e., 442, W30-32, Hurst Olds) for "A" bodies. It was my understanding that everything else had the feed line without the return.

Randy C.
Old December 15th, 2010, 07:32 AM

Air conditioned cars also have a fuel line return.
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:06 AM

Honestly, since you're doing a frame off on this, I'd personally would like the piece of mind on my fuel and brake lines. While the lines might look great on the outside, you have no idea if any condensation got on the inside of the lines and started rusting them. They're not too horrible in cost to replace.

Inline Tube should be able to supply and answer all your questions regarding fuel and brake lines for any Oldsmobile.

(just read Randy's post. Ditto on what he said. haha.)
Old December 15th, 2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by 68Tom
Honestly, since you're doing a frame off on this, I'd personally would like the piece of mind on my fuel and brake lines. While the lines might look great on the outside, you have no idea if any condensation got on the inside of the lines and started rusting them. They're not too horrible in cost to replace.

Inline Tube should be able to supply and answer all your questions regarding fuel and brake lines for any Oldsmobile.

(just read Randy's post. Ditto on what he said. haha.)
Agreed, alot of fuel and brake lines rust from the inside out due to moisture at one time or maybe more in the system.
Old December 15th, 2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by mcutlass1969
Next the car did not have a fuel return line whats so ever. Curous if one the 69 cutlass ever had this. I find that odd. If so does anyone have any pics or diagrams on how the return line traveled back to the tank?
Not sure about '69, but in '68 the only cars that got return lines were all 400ci cars and 455ci cars that had A/C. No 350's had one (although some say W-31's had one). At least that's what my manual says.....

The return runs right along side of the primary. I added one to my 350 car just because it seemed like a good idea!

I agree with the others above. Replace your lines. You can replace every fuel/brake hard line on the car for ~$300 for OE Steel....$400+ for stainless.

Inline Tube, RightStuff, FineLines, etc...all carry complete or piecemeal sets..

You're in luck ! Here's some to get you started !
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...uel-lines.html

You don't want this...
Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
From my own experience,.... the underneath of my car looked like Niagara Falls when I first tried to start the car.
Randy C.
Same with mine when I first dragged it out of the barn....'cept mine was the main brake line spewing everywhere from multiple spots...
Old December 15th, 2010, 06:29 PM

Gang
Well we are a year into the frame off rebuild. I haven't posted in so long that my previous posts have dropped off. Kids and sports got in the way. Now it is winter outside and the garage is my santuary.

Anyway. I have cleaned up and repainted the frame with POR15. I have the suspension back together and now onto the Fuel line. For the fuel line I was thinking of reusing the factory line. The car came from Texas so i had to lightly sand off the road grime and rust to clean it up. On portions of the fuel line there was a heavy material that of course peeled off easily. I checked Fusicks and didn't see anything to replace this. Curious what you guys have done?

My 69 did not have one either it was a 350 with a 2spd auto trans. I know a real road ripper
Old December 16th, 2010, 11:40 AM

Re

Guys thanks for the info. Now further suggestions on the return line. The car origanally had the 350 in which i changed that and put in a 455. I kept the orignal motor just in case i want to put it back to origanal. Now with the 455 suggestion to do or not to do the return line?
Old December 16th, 2010, 12:20 PM

Guys thanks for the info. Now further suggestions on the return line. The car origanally had the 350 in which i changed that and put in a 455. I kept the orignal motor just in case i want to put it back to origanal. Now with the 455 suggestion to do or not to do the return line?
As far as I know, the reason for the return line was to help prevent heat induced vapor lock by keeping the fuel circulating. Maybe the 400's & 455's w/ A/C were more prone to vapor lock ? Kinda makes sense due to the increased heat from the larger engine (although 455 without A/C didn't get a return line ). I added one thinking that it might be beneficial not just for my 350, but also if I decided to swap in a 455 some time down the road...& I like the idea of fresh fuel circulating around !

There are only 3 parts to a 'return line system' ....the fuel pump with provisions for the return line, the line itself, and a tank sender with provisions for the return line...

Last edited by Indy_68_S; December 16th, 2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old December 17th, 2010, 06:02 AM

Thanks. The car was setup for AC but the compressor was gone when i bought it. I pulled off the remaining pieces. Not much room on the passenger side of the engine with the AC pieces there.