replacing bench seat w/buckets

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2017, 12:58 PM

replacing bench seat w/buckets

My sons 67 F85 came with a bench seat. He wants to replace it with buckets. We have a set of 67 bucket skeletons with new tracks. When I set the drivers seat in, it is shifted over toward the door at least one inch or more. I know the steering wheel is not supposed to be offset from the center of the seat. I am using the factory mounting holes in the floor. One in front and the two in the back to locate the seat. I have the metal strips to weld to the floor to mount the opposite side track. Something doesn't compute. Are the mounting holes in a different location for bucket seats?
Old July 6th, 2017, 06:48 PM

Ed, check to see if those are the right tracks on the buckets.

67s came with the following:
1. No brackets on either side (bench seat)
2. A bracket on the inside two positions (buckets)
3. A bracket on the outside two positions (power bench)
4. A bracket on the inside two and the outer left (power driver bucket, manual pass bucket).

I THINK that's correct. Concisely: stock outside manual bucket track should bolt to existing floor holes where manual bench was.

Edit: I DON'T think the F-85 had anything to do with it, even though they were benchers, stock. I THINK the no armrest bench bottom
was the same, minus the upper hardware as the split bench armrest in the Cutlass/Supreme.

Last edited by Koda; July 6th, 2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old July 6th, 2017, 07:02 PM
Full-time Taxpayer

I'm not sure about the 67 & older floor pans but on the 68-72's the rear outer mounting point is the only hole used from bench to buckets, as you stated the front mounting point is an inch or so closer towards the trans tunnel on buckets. I have a two 65's with buckets I can measure if needed but it will be a few days. If you get the factory type floor brackets it comes with 4 brackets total: 2 long brackets for the inner mounting points for both buckets and 2 small brackets for the 2 front outer mounting points for the buckets. Hope this makes sense...

Last edited by Qwik71442; July 6th, 2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old July 7th, 2017, 09:15 AM
Ben

As mentioned above, only the rear INBOARD hole in the floor pan is used with bucket seats.

The rear inboard hole in the floor goes to the rear OUTBOARD hole in the seat track foot. (rear track foot has two holes in it)

Buckets do not use the front factory hole in the floor the bench used.

If you don't do it like that the seat will sit cockeyed and the seat belt retractor will rub on the seat.

You want the bucket mounting set that includes the long bracket w/ studs that gets welded next to the trans tunnel, and the short bracket with stud for the front outboard track foot.

The front foot winds up being about 1" inboard of the factory bench seat front foot hole in the floor.
Old July 7th, 2017, 09:17 AM
Ben

this is the bracket set you want:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/g...XfWhoCZSXw_wcB

Old July 7th, 2017, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Ed, check to see if those are the right tracks on the buckets.
These buckets were purchased as skeletons with no tracks. My son ordered tracks from Year One. I'm not even sure they are A body seats, since all of these problems are surfacing. We had to buy a replacement set of springs for the driver side and they fit the bucket like a glove so I assume they are right.
Old December 1st, 2019, 05:51 AM

nice read