wiper switch removal

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2012, 03:57 PM

wiper switch removal

Can anyone tell me how to get the wiper switch and escutcheon out of a 1969 442? I don't know where to start pulling, pinching or prying...please help!
Old March 3rd, 2012, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by centonze
Can anyone tell me how to get the wiper switch and escutcheon out of a 1969 442? I don't know where to start pulling, pinching or prying...please help!
Pull the button off and unscrew the recessed plastic piece behind the button. You may have open a pair of needle nose pliers and use them like a snap ring plier. I think there are little slots or holes at the base of the recessed piece
Old March 3rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I looked this up in the 1969 Assembly manual. Have a look at page 45/111. You can increase the zoom size to see it better. I've never worked on a 68/69 dash, but I've heard lots of guys say it's a real bear, especially if you have buckets and console.
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe..._-_Sec_1-5.pdf
Old March 3rd, 2012, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I looked this up in the 1969 Assembly manual. Have a look at page 45/111.
It's a slightly different style than 68 but the removal looks to be the same
Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:22 PM

thanks guys, I'm going to try the needle nose tomorrow. I saw the slots. So i'm going to go in from the front of the dash, put the needle nose pliers inside the slots inside the escutcheon open the pliers like a snap ring plier and turn counter clockwise? If this plan does not seem right please let me know.
thanks again
Old March 4th, 2012, 07:35 PM

big thank you to all of you. i got the escutcheon out!! Especially thank you to Allan R., you have answered many of my posts and made this project a lot more fun for me. Many times I have got stuck like this and just get frustrated and did not enjoy working on the car. I'm making a lot more progress thanks to this site and most importantly really enjoying working on my car.
I would post more pics, but with a 4 year old and 2 year old and one more on the way. I just have time to run out, pull some parts off clean them polish them and put them back in. I will post pics soon
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by centonze
I'm making a lot more progress thanks to this site and most importantly really enjoying working on my car.
I would post more pics, but with a 4 year old and 2 year old and one more on the way. I just have time to run out, pull some parts off clean them polish them and put them back in. I will post pics soon
Glad the site is making a difference for you and the car isn't a 'chore'. Congratulations to you and your Mrs. on the 3rd soon to be addition to the family. Most of us know how that works (duhhh - keep it focused here - )when you're trying to get work done on the car. Just think of the fun you'll have driving around with them though. In a few years they can be 'Daddy's little helper'. I had to put my project on hold for quite a while in favor of quality time with my family. My son was never into mechanical things - he's more of the new computer generation. Now it's college time and I'm retired so we all get a chance to focus on individual achievements as well. As, always, looking forward to your pics when you get the time.