Vinyl paint help needed

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2021, 10:50 AM

Vinyl paint help needed

Hey guys, not knowing any better I got some interior paint custom-made from a company called KolorKorrect, legendary interiors recommended them. It’s extremely expensive, looking back at it I should’ve just went to a PPG store or something and have them match it even though it take time as they’re way behind and they said it would take weeks. Anyway, the paint that KolorKorrect send you is a lacquer, they recommend a PPG lacquer thinner reducer. I went to PPG and they do not stock it as they do not sell lacquer paint in Florida. They said they could special order it for $85 a gallon. All I ordered was a pint of paint, I don’t need a gallon of $85 reducer to spray a pint of paint. Has anybody used a different thinner / reducer with good luck on lacquer flexpaint? Any suggestions
Old July 27th, 2021, 11:10 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Try Sherwin Williams automotive paint store.
Old July 27th, 2021, 11:12 AM

Have you been to a local auto body supply shop? They should be able to get you the reducer you need. If not, you might try Eastwood.

https://www.eastwood.com/
Old July 27th, 2021, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Have you been to a local auto body supply shop? They should be able to get you the reducer you need. If not, you might try Eastwood.

https://www.eastwood.com/
ppg can order a gallon, but I only need a quart at most. I was looking for a reasonable substitute, kolorkorrect wants me to use ppg.
Old July 27th, 2021, 06:53 PM

Brand of Lacquer thinner is not that critical especially on interior paint. Walmart and the local hardware stores sell lacquer thinner in quart/gallon/5 gallon cans here in Kansas. If the suggestion for local paint supply houses fall flat, try them.
Old July 27th, 2021, 07:23 PM

Just about every vinyl paint/ dye I have ever sprayed (PPG and Dupont) comes ready to spray and is not meant to be reduced/ thinned like regular lacquer. Did you get vinyl paint, or just lacquer? You are absolutely correct though that vinyl dye is not cheap. The red that I used on my vista was over $200 per quart. Using over 1 gallon of it on the interior means I spent almost as much on it as I did for all of the base and clear with hardener/ reducer for the outside of the car. It did give the perfect sheen though so it was worth it in the end. If your paint is meant to be reduced with lacquer thinner, the specific brand should not make much difference. Remember that lacquer thinner is a very good cleaner as well, so buying a full gallon is not the end of the world.

Last edited by Loaded68W34; July 27th, 2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old July 27th, 2021, 07:55 PM

And then there is always eBay... lacquer thinner on eBay
Old July 28th, 2021, 04:58 AM

Have you checked with the paint manufacturer to see if it needs a base coat of adhesion promoter? I painted the lower B pillar covers in my 71 98 with a vinyl paint and didn't use adhesion promoter and the paint failed pretty quickly.
Old July 28th, 2021, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Have you checked with the paint manufacturer to see if it needs a base coat of adhesion promoter? I painted the lower B pillar covers in my 71 98 with a vinyl paint and didn't use adhesion promoter and the paint failed pretty quickly.
Yes kolorkorrect says to use a adhesion promoter, then they recommend jr506 or dtl876 both ppg. I just wasn’t excited about buying a gallon at 85.00 to thin a pint of paint
Old August 3rd, 2021, 06:06 PM

Andy,
I tried Sherwin Williams for awhile back. Used a Pre-val for a sprayer. I didn't have to thin the pain at all & used a wax & grease remover to give the item some bite.
Now I've gone to a company called Malco. They use aerosal cans & it can be used on either carpet or vinyl. Real nice paint; dries soft not like a brillo pad. I used Sem Leather & Vinyl prep ($32 at O'Reilly a few years ago) to clean the surface. It will clean off protectant you may have on your vinyl. Good way to check the surface is masking tape. Good stick you're ready to shoot.
I don't know how old the stuff is you're working on so Malco may not have your color. Check their website. Their cans sell for about $14.
Old August 8th, 2021, 10:52 AM

some o'reillys sell paint.the ones up here sell dupont/axalta/nason.i usually buy a 5 gallon drum of 105 lacquer thinner.as w34 mentioned thinner is a great cleaner and it leaves no film and flashes off pretty quick.i think my last 5 gallon drum was under $100.
Old September 6th, 2021, 05:42 PM

I got it done, they turned out excellent, touch up gun, used ppg urethane thinner, worked fine with the laquer.I used a bonding spray after cleaning the kick panels as well before spraying them..thanks for all the help.