vinyl header strip

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2020, 03:54 PM

vinyl header strip

I purchased my Cutlass convertible totally disassembled. Therefore I have no recall of the vinyl header strip and how far over the edges it goes and where to cut it.

i took some pictures with some of the other parts mocked up.

can anyone else with a convertible Snap some close ups of the Vinyl strip so I know just what is covered?

thanks!

Old July 25th, 2020, 02:12 PM

Not mine but had a few pics saved for a future project I have coming up. Hopefully some will help:
rO9Tyuk.jpg
BlYSZpY.jpg
cOGRLGV.jpg
22ZMHI8.jpg
uVawPDV.jpg
v8yhUkg.jpg
XxWfeId.jpg
Old July 25th, 2020, 02:18 PM

I was pretty excited to see they make the oversize front windshield glass that fits an Olds now:
q5CxE67.jpg
Crazy expensive but got me thinking about one of my crazy projects for another upgrade to allow the top to seal like a "modern convertible" to prevent this:
uqVS5qz.jpg
it's always bothered me that the top doesn't come down behind a "lip" to prevent air and water to come between the top and vinyl piece. I think by using this new glass piece there's a way to add a lip that looks like the stock chrome piece. Still trying to work it out in my brain but that's why I had all the pics saved.
Old July 25th, 2020, 02:50 PM

If you are talking about the top ballooning up, that is due to the air flow over the top. It’s just like an airplane wing or a sail, the fast moving air passing over the top creates a low pressure (the Bernoulli effect). I crack the window sligtly to equalize the pressure and that keeps the top from lifting.
Old July 25th, 2020, 03:06 PM

oh interesting - I've never heard that before - will research "the Bernoulli effect" more. Thanks for the info. One of my goals is to take my 442 up to 150 mph. Never been over about 117 in it so far but I was afraid if the top was up there would be issues with air getting between the top and the vinyl piece where it seals (without a lip to block air/water like modern day convertibles). Also I've been in two really really bad rain storms with "horizontal rain" that came in right in this spot so I assumed at high speed air could/would get in too.
Old July 25th, 2020, 04:41 PM

Yes, high speed causes enough “lift” that the center of the front bow will separate from the top of the windshield. I recall back in the 90s following a friend on a country highway and at 85 there was wind hitting me above the eyebrows. I used my right hand to pull the front bow down to keep the gap as small as possible.

Keep in mind that the top has a lot of surface area and is like a sail or a wing, so at high speeds there is a lot of upward lift, and that lift increases as the vehicle speed increases. After that 85 MPH adventure I contemplated installing a center latch (like on Corvette tops) to keep the top sealed but never did it, then eventually forgot about it.
Old July 25th, 2020, 05:34 PM

Yes, high speed causes enough “lift” that the center of the front bow will separate from the top of the windshield.
This is why I would like to put a small raised up lip that exactly mirrors the shape of the convertible top when it's closed underneath the front edge of the vinyl piece. You can see it even in this 90s Cutlass convertible:
VzZmqii.jpg
That way air and water can't get to where the top seals because there's a lip blocking it.
Old July 25th, 2020, 05:41 PM

One way to do it if you look at this top:
uVawPDV.jpg
...would be to raise up under that front black vinyl part about 1/4" to 1/2" and then put the vinyl over the top of it. You could use the edge of the top as a template. The only issue with this is it would look a little strange with the top down with they vinyl being raised there. The other idea I was thinking was to go with one of these new oversized windshields that extends where part of the chrome trim is and then make a chrome trim pieces that raises up about 1/2" to 1/4" just before the black vinyl or even just on top of the front edge of the black vinyl. Anyway - like I said - one of my crazy ideas. We'll see if it ever gets done.

-Joe
Old July 25th, 2020, 07:05 PM

The mod you are thinking of won't do anything to stop the top from lifting at high speeds. I think it would be a lot easier to install a third clamp in the center to keep the front bow clamped to the top of the windshield. Or simply crack the window to equalize the pressure - I know that works, but you can try it and see for yourself.
Old August 1st, 2020, 07:23 PM

Kenneth, I'm hoping to prevent the top from lifting and prevent air and water from getting in-between where the top seals to the vinyl area. Although I'm sure a 3rd clamp in the middle would help, I think it would cause a lump where the boot is in the rear and may cause the boot not to fit. I will check it out as an option but I still don't see how setting it up with a lip to block air and water like all new convertibles wouldn't help the cause dramatically if not eliminate the issue completely. Question for you. Looking at a 2020 Mustang GT convertible or Camaro SS convertible that both have a convertible tops that locks down behind a lip exactly like I've explained, why do they not have this issue? Both have top speeds of 155mph+ and I'm sure you don't have to crack the windshield. Here's a few pics:

TAI3fee.jpg
TqTX8p7.jpg
wF3wwn2.jpg
gOpICI3.jpg
Old August 1st, 2020, 07:54 PM

Well - coincidentally the Mustang convertible has a middle lock down - gotta give you credit there.

btRFOF5.jpg
Old August 17th, 2020, 04:36 PM

Turned out perfect!