Vinyl Dash Crack

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Vinyl Dash Crack

I have a 1 1/2 in. long crack in the vinyl dash on the passenger side of my newly acquired 69 olds cutlass.. It is about 1/64 in. wide. Does anyone have advice on how best to repair, or best way to stop it from getting worse, if repairing is not a good option. Thanks for any ande all input.

69 olds cutlass
Old May 9th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by my69olz
I have a 1 1/2 in. long crack in the vinyl dash on the passenger side of my newly acquired 69 olds cutlass.. It is about 1/64 in. wide. Does anyone have advice on how best to repair, or best way to stop it from getting worse, if repairing is not a good option. Thanks for any ande all input.

69 olds cutlass
There probably isn't a person frequenting these forums that would not like to have had an easy and inexpensive solution to the cracked vinyl dash problem. Unfortunately when molded vinyl begins cracking there is no stopping it or repairing it. There is actually only one solution and that is replacement.

http://www.justdashes.com
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:18 AM

I actually had some luck with liquid nail then sanding lightly and brushing touch up lightly (interior touch up to match trim from Tower) It's not noticeable unless you look for it. Not perfect but it was rather cheap and is not in a very visible place
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:11 AM

Thanks for the advice, I will probably try the liquid nail. Should definitley help to stop the split from getting worse.
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Geezer

Liquid nails or some similar adhesive might well temporarily stop a vinyl dash crack from becoming worse but nothing is going to prevent either additional cracks or chunks of vinyl simply separating from the foam beneath it and falling off. The vinyl cracks because it has fully cured out from age and has begun to disintegrate from continual exposure to UV rays, heat, and silicone based products like Armor-All. There are no topical products which will slow, stop, or reverse the disintegration process when vinyl and other plastic materials have become fully cured and brittle.
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the info. Tex.....I appreciate it.
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:00 AM

like my grandfather used to say, nobody get out of this alive (not us or the cars either)
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Texascarnut
Liquid nails or some similar adhesive might well temporarily stop a vinyl dash crack from becoming worse but nothing is going to prevent either additional cracks or chunks of vinyl simply separating from the foam beneath it and falling off. The vinyl cracks because it has fully cured out from age and has begun to disintegrate from continual exposure to UV rays, heat, and silicone based products like Armor-All. There are no topical products which will slow, stop, or reverse the disintegration process when vinyl and other plastic materials have become fully cured and brittle.
I apologize if this thread is dead and ran its course, but I noticed you mentioned Armor All. I didn't realize it was that bad for dashes! Is there anything better to use?
Old June 16th, 2009, 04:09 AM
olds..older..oldest

My detail guy and a lot of websites recommend Mcguire's vinyl care products[see their website] I've used it and find it doesn't leave a tacky,shiny residue. I think they have the real R&D into their product line,and many show car owners use nothing else.May be time for you to start the search for a replacement dash before these increasingly rare parts disappear forever!..........Derek...69 442
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:14 AM

Thumbs down

Thanks Derek, appreciate the advice. I will look into it.

Last edited by my69olz; June 16th, 2009 at 05:17 AM.
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:18 AM

Don't know why that thumbs down symbol apperared in my response, I didn't put it there?
Old June 26th, 2009, 03:18 AM

Old vinyl records

Originally Posted by my69olz

69 olds cutlass
I have heard about a guy who used a piece of a old vinyl record, he melded it with heat and used the material as a fill in the crack.

Does that work?
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by Oldwolf
I have heard about a guy who used a piece of a old vinyl record, he melded it with heat and used the material as a fill in the crack.

Does that work?
I wouldn't think so. The temperature of the melted vinyl would likely be high enough to melt the foam underneath the surface material of the dash.

Only real solution is Just Dashes.
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:15 AM

I wouldn't think so. The temperature of the melted vinyl would likely be high enough to melt the foam underneath the surface material of the dash.

Only real solution is Just Dashes.
OK, I thougt someone maybee have tried.

Regards
Old September 6th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Land Yacht Captain

There is a guy in my area that will come to you & fix any damage to your leather seat or cracked dash. When hes done its invisible. Molds the correct pattern into the repair so it can't be seen.
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:46 AM

has anyone used just dashes?

my dash pad has many cracks over 19 tears of storage and being moved and bumped aroundhas anyone ever used just dashes??

Last edited by noleduck; October 21st, 2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:58 AM

Personally, I have not, but I have seen some of their work and it's generally top notch. Not cheap, tho.....
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:00 AM

I've also heard that Just Dashes is quite expensive. You get what you pay for though. I've never heard any complaints about their work.
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:09 PM

For what it is worth, here is a link to an interesting "vynil care" article. Note, it is note for repair of a crack. It simply mentions the autoparts store kits.
http://www.roadrunner-region-pca.org/tech/leathe.htm
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:12 AM

I agree with the above. But if it's a band aid that your looking for ,then go for the liquid nails - sounds fairly doable, although there are not many adhesives that bond well with vinyl. I recently used a vinyl repair kit with some decent results (found at my local auto store) - but if you look close enough it is far from flawless (regardless of what the ads say).

Originally Posted by 65olds98
I apologize if this thread is dead and ran its course, but I noticed you mentioned Armor All. I didn't realize it was that bad for dashes! Is there anything better to use?
There's 303 Aerospace Protectant. In the many years of living in the hot Arizona sun, and being a boat owner with vinyl seats - nothing comes close to 303. It not cheap, but well worth the money and can be purchased at most marine supply stores, as well as some auto stores. It can also be ordered on line.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:45 AM

this 69 pad is to brittle now after 40 years in florida sun! BOP show this weekend at Old Town in Kissimmee fl... look around there for possible replacement there.... thank you
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by 65olds98
Just noticed your question. Sorry. Actually, Just Dashes sells a protectant that I plan on getting. It keeps the vinyl soft, without putting a disgusting, shiny, greasy film all over your dash.
http://www.justdashes.com/vinylLifePreserver.htm