DEODORIZER

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2009, 04:52 PM

DEODORIZER

Just picked up a 98 intrigue for a song. Had a nasty coolant leak that was quickly fixed. Now I an dealing with a car that had some fairly unsavory odors that are reminiscent of fish. Probably due to baking in the sun for the last two months wet and full of garbage. Eventually I will likely tear the interior down and do a complete and full cleans and shampoo, but for now have done a thorough surface clean. Has anyone had any success with a quick fix deodorizer, and if so what was it?
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:05 PM

Try some fabreeze. I had a cat spray in my car and it cleared it up nicely. Took a couple applications, but it worked.
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Perhaps 10 boxes of baking soda??

I had some chinese food overturn in my '86 about 12 years ago. The smell had finally subsided after I used some pet odor remover 5 years after...

Neuralize it - don't cover it.
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:03 AM

I agree with Randy, Febreeze works well. My wife uses it in the house all the time. It cuts the animal smell around the dog crate and dog bed.

The Pet Odor Neutralizer is also a good product. Arm & Hammer makes it and you can buy it at Wal Mart in the pet section. It is essentially baking soda with perfume in it. You dust it on the interior and let is set for 1/2 an hour before vacuuming.
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:09 AM

Don't cover it up.

Wad up a ton of newspaper and throw it in there. It will absorb alot of the odor. BUT don't leave it in there over a day or two.
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:21 AM

don't leave it in there over a day or two.
What happens if you leave it in there over a day or two? Does it spontaneously combust?
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:24 AM

No, it makes a nice motel for rodents.
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:27 AM

Dirty rats!
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Registered

Chinese food? Garbage? Cats? I've heard some wild excuses before.

I would get out my trusty Little Green Machine and use the pet/organic odor solution and go to town.
Remove it, don't neutralize it.

Doesn't your basic street variety charcoal grill charcoal absorb odors?
Don't get the match-light type or those dirty rats will be having them a barbecue.
Old October 24th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Bought a Bissell proheat unit, did a pretty good job of cleaning up the mess, but will probably gut the car next spring and really go to town as the knooks are still pretty nasty, but just don't have the time this year anymore. GRRRRR I hate Wisconsin weather.
Old October 24th, 2009, 02:01 PM
olds..older..oldest

Kold Knooks

Originally Posted by csstrux
Bought a Bissell proheat unit, did a pretty good job of cleaning up the mess, but will probably gut the car next spring and really go to town as the knooks are still pretty nasty, but just don't have the time this year anymore. GRRRRR I hate Wisconsin weather.
I'm assuming a knook is a particularly kinky nook? Ya' wanna talk weather? It was 0 Celcius[32 Fahr.] up here last nite with a snow warning!How's about you snowshoe up here and I'll treat you to some REAL beer while we compare nasty weather stories: sleet, snow, ice and frozen body parts?! [ we won't even need a cooler for the brewskies!]
Old October 25th, 2009, 01:40 PM

No thanks. Was born and raised in the north but was built for the south...anything under 40 SUCKS!!!. I have been dealing with other issues that are more pressing that I won't get into here, but won't have time until it's too cold to really give the proper attention to.