Seeking carpet install advice

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2020, 10:54 AM

Seeking carpet install advice

Hi all,

I'm moving ahead with replacing the original carpet on my 72 VC and before I placed my order, was looking for advice on the particular product I should install. I have the option to go with mass backing or not, and then if I do get mass backing, do I need extra jute? My plan was to get the mass backing instead of going the route of extra jute. Seems like the mass backing would do a better job of reducing noise and vibration without the burden of extra thickness. I assume between mass backing and extra jute, I want at least one of the two, because the poly backing with thin jute layer from stockinteriors.com (and probably most others) doesn't seem sufficient on its own. stockinteriors.com was kind enough to send me some sample carpet so that I made sure I had a color match for my application, plus a discount code with the samples. Seem like nice folks.

I was also going to order 3 yards of extra material without any extra backing so that I can replace the carpeting in the cargo area. But I'll need to bring the carpeting and measurements to a local upholstery place to sew the edges like the original. Does 3 yards sound about right? I haven't found anyone that sells the carpeting for the cargo area in a kit.

Thanks,

John

Last edited by frozencaveman; March 6th, 2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old April 1st, 2020, 09:00 PM

Can recommend dynamat mass backing on the floor pans all the way to the “way back”. Then optional dynaliner instead of jute. Or dense closed cell foam. Jute soaks up leak water, if any. Dynamat product is good, but pricey.

Get a couple of cans of 3M trim adhesive and a couple of cans of related adhesive solvent for gluing carpet and correcting mistakes.

Your ACC replacement carpet will come with jute backing. A little extra padding is desirable, at least to me. A heat gun and old soldering iron are great for shaping & poking in screw holes in carpet. A heat gun can also seal the edges beneath trim, but don’t replace sewn edges.

Get at least a couple of yards of extra carpet for the way back deck, kick panels, door panels. One lot order means the dye will match across the whole interior. If in doubt, get a few extra, extra yards. More carpet isn’t too bad on cost and get you out of bind in way that you’ll like longterm.

When all the interior stuff is pulled, that’s a good time to install stereo speaker wires, amps, USB power wires, etc. Good time time to check factory wires and connections too. Be sure it’s right before burying it. Check your door drains too. Great time to clean those out.

Hope that helps
cf