General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cutlass Carpet Sound Deadener / Underlayment?

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2017, 09:04 AM

Cutlass Carpet Sound Deadener / Underlayment?

Installing replacement carpet. ACC carpet offers standard jute backing already attached in certain OE spots. What did GM use between the floor and the carpet? Where is it available? I'm looking for OE fit and appearance.
Thanks.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 09:11 AM

When I redid my carpet, I had to scrape some mostly melted tar paper off the floorboards so I suspect that was the factory original stuff. I put the same stuff back on - likely got it from the same place I bought the carpet but this was 20 years ago so I don't really remember.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 03:18 PM
Administrator

The jute backing is all the factory used. I'm not a fan of the tar based sound deadeners as I spent days removing it from a car floor on one of my projects. Other off brands like from home depot and loews will not stand up and ooze if place inside doors in southern states.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 03:37 PM

My current carpet is not original so I can't check on my own vehicle. ACC shows this material as being "commonly used" in all 60's - 80's. Or, should I use a product like Dynamat? ... although that's a tar-based deadener and heat shield.

https://www.accmats.com/commerce/197...Deadener/8434/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25280219863...84.m1436.l2649
Old December 3rd, 2017, 04:54 PM

If your convertible is like mine, you might what to rethink going with the original jute. The heat coming up from the floorboards during the summer has been driving my wife nuts. I went ahead and spent the money for Dura-mat and Dura-liner to take care of that problem. She's in storage for the winter (the cutlass, not my wife). I plan on installing it this upcoming spring.
Old December 3rd, 2017, 05:37 PM

Thanks Chip. I remember back-in-the-day when this my was summer daily driver and there was heat from the firewall and around the tranny hump.

So are you replacing the carpet (which typically has standard jute affixed to certain spots on the back) and installing Dynamat between the floorboards and the carpet? Dura-liner too? (I only know Dura-liner used for truck beds.)
Old December 3rd, 2017, 06:24 PM

I would use a product like Dynamat and the jute backed carpet. The Dynamat will keep the rattles and vibration down, jute will quit anything the gets through. Whie you don't have to use Dynamat as their are cheaper alternatives. I like Damplifier Pro, but there are others. Do NOT use the stuff from Home Depot or Lowes. When shopping, also look at the foil thickness and not the just the total thinkness of the sheet.
Old December 4th, 2017, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Toms cutlass
Thanks Chip. I remember back-in-the-day when this my was summer daily driver and there was heat from the firewall and around the tranny hump.

So are you replacing the carpet (which typically has standard jute affixed to certain spots on the back) and installing Dynamat between the floorboards and the carpet? Dura-liner too? (I only know Dura-liner used for truck beds.)
Yup and yup. I picked up a new carpet also. From everything that I have been able to find online, the Dura-mat is more of a sound deadener but does offer some heat blockage. The Dura-liner laid on top of the mat is supposed to block all remaining heat. We'll see. It can't be worse then just plain jute.
As the late Robin Williams used to say "It's like putting gauze in front of a semi, and just saying come on through."
Old December 4th, 2017, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by csouth
I would use a product like Dynamat and the jute backed carpet. The Dynamat will keep the rattles and vibration down, jute will quit anything the gets through. Whie you don't have to use Dynamat as their are cheaper alternatives. I like Damplifier Pro, but there are others. Do NOT use the stuff from Home Depot or Lowes. When shopping, also look at the foil thickness and not the just the total thinkness of the sheet.
From what I have read in articles and reviews (people who have used it please correct me if I'm wrong), Dura-mat is thinner, more effective and easier to install than many of the other products out there.
Old December 4th, 2017, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by csouth
So can you elaborate more on the details of installation and your results. Any information would be great. What was the results on heat and noise. Did you do anything to the doors and trunk. What carpet provider did you use.
Thanks
Wayne
Old December 4th, 2017, 12:16 PM

Not finding an auto floor insulator by the name "Dura-mat" or "Dura-liner."

Last edited by Toms cutlass; December 4th, 2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old December 4th, 2017, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by 35tac
So can you elaborate more on the details of installation and your results. Any information would be great. What was the results on heat and noise. Did you do anything to the doors and trunk. What carpet provider did you use.
Thanks
Wayne
I uses ACC cute pile carpet with the jute backing. I used the Damplifier Pro which has a foil thickness of 6.5mil and a total thickness of 2mm. The sheets were easy to apply as I used the 25% rule I found from the guy that runs Sound Deadner Showdown. I didn't use his product, but I did also add closed cell foam to my floors. I put small sheets in the outer skin to keep down vibration. Trunk will remain untouched.

As with any adhesive based product, the surface must be clean of debris or it wont stick well.

Check out this link, it might offer some help. I also here his products are good and he will not try to sell you more than you need.

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
Old December 4th, 2017, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Toms cutlass
Not finding an auto floor insulator by the name "Dura-mat" or "Dura-liner." Only this floor product >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOwkwozG1ic

***CORRECTION***

My brain was not working normally this morning...sorry 'bout that

It's Dyna-mat and Dyna-liner