Me Too! Speedo cable + more help.

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2014, 12:31 PM

Me Too! Speedo cable + more help.

Digging into the 66 starfire I just got. Speedo not working, disconnected and checked it, the cable is broken down at the hub in side.
Problems:
1. the threaded connection at the hub is seized, I am not having and luck getting it out.
2. cable itself is obviously broke and will possibly cost a small fortune to replace unless I can make a cut to fit core work.
3. all of the dust cap parts that drive the cable are MISSING.
Help, advise, suggestions PLEASE!
Style points, NOS parts, etc, are not necessary, I'm just looking to get the speedo working for my 16 year old.
-damon
Old March 31st, 2014, 02:38 PM

Don't laugh...
Here's my solution to complete lack of any factory parts. Obviously the previous owner dug into this and failed. I found a generic brand new cable in the trunk.
I removed the existing cable core. I removed the core of the one I found in the trunk. I crimped the speedo side head on to it and fed it into the existing sleeve from the dash down. had lots of extra come out the spindle.
I then drilled out the hole in the dust cap a bit more and fed the cable through. Figured a good length to work with and cut it.
Then I found a wire connector in my junk box, put it in the vise and bent it over. Crimped to cable and cut cable. Drilled a set hole in the dust cap and put in a very short sheet metal screw which I also cut the tip off just for good measure.
Everything has tested out and is working with it so far.
The only down side is I will have to take it off and probably put a new wire crimp on it when I do the brakes, but hey... It works.
-d

Old April 1st, 2014, 03:20 AM

It seems to me that when you are replacing the inner cable, that all you have to do is cut to proper length and then square both ends with a hammer on a hard surface (vice, etc.). Your spindle cap should have a square fitting in it to drive the cable.
Old April 1st, 2014, 03:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Very ingenious fix.

I'm sure one of the members here would have the little hub internal parts to sell you at a reasonable price, though - just put an ad in the Parts Wanted.
As yellowstatue said, any standard cut-to-length piece of speedo cable core should work fine, and you probably wouldn't need to disconnect the cable casing from the back of the hub.

- Eric
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:21 AM

There was only a small round hole in the dust cover.
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:24 AM

I don't have one, but I remember using a tool you placed the cable end in and hit with a hammer. Sort of like a battery term crimper. Made a perfect squared end on the cable.Maybe weld/braze a piece of metal to dust cap, drill and square off with a jewelers file
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:24 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The dust cover (or hub cap) of a hub-speedo car shouldn't have any hole in it, and is a normal cap.

- Eric
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:30 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-anti...=item3cdf11b98
Found one on E-bay