General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

are Olds owners too cheap,or are prices too high??

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Banned

are Olds owners too cheap,or are prices too high??

i sell parts,all brands and makes,but im getting away from selling Olds parts.

only on Olds parts do i not even get a hit on some of the stuff i have for sale,and my prices are cheaper than anybody,i have checked.

when i sell Buick,Chevy,or street rod parts,people get in line wanting to buy.

are Olds people just cheap or are prices too high for Olds parts right now?

im going to the Nationals Friday,and im going to see what stuff sells for there,and and compare their prices with mine.
Old July 14th, 2009, 06:13 AM

Are you offering common parts? Are they of Ohio quality? Maybe it's just the parts you have for sale. I can think of lots of Olds parts I'd buy if you had them.

Henry
Old July 14th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Captain of my ship

parts

same here but I have a full size 69-98. Do you have parts for them? Do you have a link to the parts you do have for sale or are they on this forum in the parts for sale catagory?
Old July 14th, 2009, 07:00 AM

I've seen a lot of Olds guys send big dollars to get the hard to find parts, but the more common the part the lower the price. Just depends on what kind of budget a guy has to work with.
Old July 14th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

It's called supply and demand. There are far fewer people building Oldsmobiles than Chevys and Pontiacs, so there are fewer buyers. Of course, it's just like the real estate market. Houses at unrealistic prices from a few years ago are sitting unsold. Houses at correct market value sell in a few days. Only you control your asking prices.
Old July 14th, 2009, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It's called supply and demand. There are far fewer people building Oldsmobiles than Chevys and Pontiacs, so there are fewer buyers.
X2 on that...

Remember how few Olds we see at car shows? That is probably the biggest reason.
If enough detail is given about the parts you sell, and the post is easy to find and read, then those in need will find them.

Keep them listed, as I will not be buying used parts from the parts place...
Old July 14th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wolfman98
same here but I have a full size 69-98. Do you have parts for them? Do you have a link to the parts you do have for sale or are they on this forum in the parts for sale catagory?
go take a look,i have a bunch of stuff in there.

Originally Posted by 66400
Are you offering common parts? Are they of Ohio quality? Maybe it's just the parts you have for sale. I can think of lots of Olds parts I'd buy if you had them.

Henry
common parts?

ohio quality?
there is a 71 w-30 right up the street from me,ohio car all it's life,it's perfect.

what parts do you need?

im not going after the ultra rare stuff.there is limited amount of people that want it,and a more limited amount who can afford it.

also,even the rare stuff can be nasty and worn out,and not worth jack.

i know where a triple red 69 w-31 is for 5 grand,but it's been sitting for 20 years with the windows rolled down,sunk into the ground.a total POS.why would i buy or even try to sell that?

i just blew off a 71 w-30,and a 70 w-31 intake because they were both beat up pieces of junk,i wouldnt give 50 for either

the parts i sell are quality parts,not junk.

none of my intakes have cracks or stripped threads,the carbs i sold are good cores,valve covers arent beat up or cracked.

Last edited by agtw31; July 14th, 2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by agtw31

are Olds people just cheap or are prices too high for Olds parts
IMO all people are "cheap"....why should someone pay top dollar when they can get it cheaper. I dont know what you are selling or prices but as mentioned already there are not as many people looking for Olds parts as other brands. NOS Olds trim parts are extremely rare. I have seen Olds only vendors asking prices exceeding gold value. Someone desperate may come along and pay their price, after all there is one born every minute they say...I usually check Ebay for my needs and let the world set the selling price.
Old July 15th, 2009, 01:32 PM

I think alot of it has to do with people only buying things they absolutely need. Alot of people are just sitting on theyre money waiting for a steal, or when the economy gets better to buy the parts they want and not need.
Old July 15th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
IMO all people are "cheap"....
you havent been to a buick board
Old July 15th, 2009, 04:49 PM

^^ I'm just broke.

I was really looking at that Edelbrock 7111 manifold you have, but the Alero has been costing me a lot of money over the past 3 months and getting hurt at work in addition to no overtime before that. Throw in a baby, mortgage, etc.

Really it's just the no ot, If I had the cash, I'd be making you an offer on the 7111.

I'll be at Nats, but only on Saturday. Going to check out that swap meet, but with a bach party in Vegas the next weekend, I won't have the cash to buy anything big
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Captain of my ship

yeah

I know the feeling since I have been off work for more than a year now and it doesn't look good for the future. There are a lot of things I would like to do but with limited money I pick up what I can afford.
Old July 16th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Past Administrator

"are Olds owners too cheap,or are prices too high??"

yes
Old July 16th, 2009, 05:01 AM

????

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...h-o-scoop.html
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:04 AM

I just paid $ 725.00 off e-bay for what looks like a new condition front passenger fender for my 68 a total of 785.00 including the shipping, my question is am I an idiot?

I could have gone with a patch panel for what is otherwise a perfect fender but just the idea of a piece that was never repaired overwhelmed my common sense.

Last edited by Nilsson; July 20th, 2009 at 08:55 AM. Reason: wording
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:35 AM

I don't know how I feel about these prices. When you buy a part at a high price just to resell it at a higher price, you're driving a nail into the coffin of the hobby. If the part has always been yours and didn't cost you anything (sic) why would you take advantage of a fellow enthusiast? Granted you don't know if I'm going to take your distributor and put it on eBay (here I would say change "buyer beware" to "seller beware").

Then there is the whole supply/demand aspect. I believe (kinda) that original parts should fetch more if you're going to sell them. The repro parts? Way overpriced. The market is flooded with mfrs of parts. Many of whom sell to their competitors for resale. The parts have paid for themselves many times over and could easily be reduced in prices. But because people have always paid more for what they want than what they need, we keep painting ourselves into a corner on what we end up paying.
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nilsson
I just paid $ 725.00 off e-bay for what looks like a new condition front passenger fender for my 68 a total of 785.00 including the shipping, my question is am I an idiot?

I could have gone with a patch panel for what is otherwise a perfect fender but just the idea of a piece that was never repaired overwhelmed my common sense.
Ah, I was wondering who was bidding on those fenders. Well, it's definitely not cheap. However, finding an unrusted, unmolested '68 fender is pretty difficult. And if it's the same auction I saw (yellow fenders), it's not as if you were the only one bidding on them. So, I think your sanity probably remains in tact (somewhat ).
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:41 AM

That would be the ones Tom. I wasn't quick enough on the driver side or I would of had both.
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 344870M
When you buy a part at a high price just to resell it at a higher price, you're driving a nail into the coffin of the hobby.

this has been going on for years,hobby is still blazing well.
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Registered Luser

x2 to what 344870M stated! I was at the Nats and spent much time over 3 days at the swap meet! Spent over $1000 there!(don't tell my wife) Certain parts I've been looking for for years, but couldn't pull the trigger! I was looking for 6 15" steel wheels for my '72 Cutlass & '65 VC, on this site, orange442 had them, but the shipping put me out of budget! So I declined! Turns out he was there, and he would have had a sale if he had any on him! Saving on shipping is a big deal to me. I did pull the trigger on a couple high priced items because I was getting deals (at least it seems, they were very negotiable!) To me, if I feel I'm getting a deal, I buy! Keep in mind, I said deal, not STEAL! Everybody has the right to make a buck. I will never hold that against them! Which brings me to my last point. I just recently sold my '63 Fiesta 88 wagon, almost mint interior, ran mint, only rot was in bottoms of fenders, 42,000 orig mi, needed paint for $3400...the first guy that looked at it bought it and gave me the song and dance how he's been looking for one of these, he is going to start a resto right away, can I come down another $100 for the cause and really laid it on! He turned around and within a week, it was on craigslist and e-bay for $6600....."buyer-seller beware", I guess I'm too nice a guy! Lesson learned! He sold the car....maybe I should have been more patient or asked more than $3900....or advertised more! My point is, I buy from people I like and trust, even if it cost a little more. Shipping on the other hand is hard to swallow, so I wait 'till I find it in person....
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by agtw31
this has been going on for years,hobby is still blazing well.
I also agree!