How to you clean up seat belts?

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2019, 06:45 AM

How to you clean up seat belts?

my 68 442 had the rear seat belts ticket under the bench. They got a little dirty. I’d like to clean them up. Any tips? Do the couplers come apart so they can be cleaned inside? What solution is good for cleaning the belts? Thanks —Billy
Old March 20th, 2019, 07:26 AM

I have found that if you take them out of the car and I fill a large sink with very hot water and some laundry soap then let them soak for an hour or so then rinse them very well in a bucket of water even soaking in the rinse water to let the soap release from them. This works very well to get them clean. Some need a soft brushing. They come out soft and in very nice shape. The fabric part that is.
Old March 20th, 2019, 07:48 AM
Running On Empty

I use Simply Green instead of laundry soap and perform the same soaking and brushing as pointed out by lemoldsnut.
In addition, I've found the belts may be quite stubborn (if they haven't been used in many years) when attempting to pull them through the buckle coupling. I've found several very generous amounts of a can of good silicone sprayed into the buckle couplings does an excellent job of liberating/coating the metal and plastic components contained within. Work the fabric back & forth through the buckle coupling numerous times. Ensure the buckles and fabric dry ASAP - moisture will get trapped within - laying them in the sun works great.
Old March 20th, 2019, 07:48 AM
same but different

Yep, I'll second the method of laundry detergent and hot water, with a little scrubbing. I don't think you can take the buckle/latch apart....Just be sure and dry them soon after cleaning. I suppose a light squirt or two of a silicone spray or even wd40 wouldn't hurt the buckles.
Old March 20th, 2019, 09:31 AM

Thanks guys. —Billy
Old March 20th, 2019, 02:25 PM

The top cover and button mechanism can be remove from the buckle but the belt will stay attached to the lower buckle. Use a couple of small screwdrivers on backside and pop the cover off. Not sure what buckles you have but on my 70 I had the metal covers with the textured paint. I found some of the stainless buckels at the wrecking yard. I was able to install the stainless covers on my existing lower buckles with no modifications.