help with package tray installation

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2010, 08:14 AM

help with package tray installation

I am trying to install new package tray on 72 cutlass supreme. I have the rear seat out as well as the arm rests and I finally got the window crank handles and door panels off. I went to slide old tray out and noticed that it tucks up under the sail panel, looks like I have to remove that. Can someone explain to me how that is done?
Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:48 PM

I am restoring a 72 Cutlass S and have ordered a new package tray but have not started to look at how to install.... looking for the smae info..
Richey
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:38 PM

The plastic/vinyl headliner windlace holds the front edge of the sail panel...so you need to peel the windlace back to expose that edge. This MAY mean the windlace around the rear glass AND the windlace over the side glass.

After that, the sail panels are probably held on with a little square plastic "hook and loop" type contraption, part of which is stapled to the backside of the sailpanel. Here's a pic of this "connector" thing from a sailpanel on a '70 Cutlass S body style car. Probably the same or similar on yours.

No screws, etc....just this odd little approx 1" square piece with a corresponding one glued onto the body metal that it "hooks" onto.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2256.JPG (37.3 KB, 116 views)
Old April 6th, 2010, 05:43 AM

No screws, etc....just this odd little approx 1" square piece with a corresponding one glued onto the body metal that it "hooks" onto.

Can this odd little approx 1" square piece and corresponding be purchased?
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:24 PM

Rickbmac---I don't know if it can be or not. I also think I've seen this style of attachment used on later GM stuff. For example...S10 Blazers...from the 80's and 90's. I think I saw this same plastic tab treatment on the headliner board for one of those.

You could try this place----Restoration Specialties and Supply:

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/

I'm looking thru the Auveco catalog (Resto Specialty sells a lot of Auveco stuff) and there look like a few possibilities

Auveco PN 19543 this is a square shaped version..but has a push tab protruding from the back (that could be trimmed off).

PN 19338 A round version.

I don't know if these things have a "male" side and a "female" side like Velcro does...I suspect not (you could probably use some good Velcro to attach these also).

If all else fails I should be able to get some at a local salvage yard from a car with useless sail panels.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:59 AM
Cutlass Lover

Sooooo.... About these couple package tray threads..... Did you guys get them changed yet?? Just curious!
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Sooooo.... About these couple package tray threads..... Did you guys get them changed yet?? Just curious!
No, on hold paying taxes in April, and waiting to get the carpet and headliner..... then I'll start on the interior..
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:53 PM

My package tray is in... I just gotta put the sail panels for the headliner. Then the windlace... Then the back glass!!! Yaaaaaayyyy!
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:33 AM
Cutlass Lover

Hey Richey - Did you ever get the package tray in? And do you have to take out the back glass to put one in??
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Hey Richey - Did you ever get the package tray in? And do you have to take out the back glass to put one in??
Yes it went in without much problem... and I did not need to take out the back window....I did use the old one to use as s template to get the side creases/bends at the right spot. I did take the end molding pices off the back window but the board slid under hte bottom window frame and then used a lot of the 3M black weatherstriping adheasive on the sail panels (in addition to the small 1 inch squares 70Post mentioned to get the sides to stay inplace. Taped the front along the frame behind where the back seat will cover it up and it looks like new!! Package tray ended up being the easiest part...
Richey
[

Last edited by richeyb; January 31st, 2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: added picture
Old February 1st, 2011, 11:49 AM
Cutlass Lover

That looks nice! I'm still afraid to try it though. I'd love to replace mine, as it has some peeling paint in places, but that looks like a major project. I'd love to be able to get to the build sheet under there though! I thought about having Don Sitts guys put in a new one for me, but I'm just afraid they'll mess up the sail panels or the roof liner or something. All her stuff is nice and tight and I'd hate to end up with wrinkles or something in the roof liner stuff around the courtesy lights or something. I don't know. If I could figure out a way just to paint the old one, I would. I don't think I could spray in there without having to completely cover up the interior and windows, and I don't know what it would look like if I tried to scrape it and brush on paint.
Crap!
Old February 1st, 2011, 02:03 PM

Mine went in just as easily as Richey's.

However, a word of warning that the OER package trays don't last long.
They're made with VERY CHEAP materials that don't last. Not even close to OEM quality.
I've been through 4 of them in 2 different classics in very short periods of time.

My brand new solid one in my 442 lasted 1 year before it bubbled up at the corners.
My 1st was for the 442 was mesh and never even made it out of the plastic wrap before curling.
Samething with my Camaro's 2 package trays, they curled and twisted.
I have a pic I will post in a few.

Maybe Chicago has alot of humidity, but 4 of them now. OEM lasted decades.
I've turned to making my own now out of 1/8" hardboard and premium vinyl. OER = Crap.

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 1st, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old February 1st, 2011, 04:12 PM

Cutlassgal, you may be right about needing to worry about the sale pannels. Since I was replacing everything I was able to just rip it out and the pannels came out in 2 to 3 pieces each side... Once everything was out of the way it was easy to put the package tray in... I do hope our dry weather in Idaho keep mine from curling....
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:53 AM
Cutlass Lover

Soooo.... do you think that I could lightly scrape mine and repaint? Mine is not mesh. Has this ever been attempted by anyone while it's in the car?? It just looks yucky in a couple spots, that I've been able to kinda hide by putting something on them, lol. Wonder if I could use a sponge brush - wouldn't leave brush marks? I just don't know. I don't figure a repop one would hold up as good as the original has.
Old February 7th, 2011, 07:33 PM

I'm getting ready to put new package tray and sail panels in my supreme. Got them from Legendary, so they are good quality. I had to trim quite a bit from the ends so the tray would lay flat and not be "bowed". On the sail panel boards, I have never seen aftermarket original style fasteners. Legendary gave me Velcro fasteners with self-adhesive backing. The windlace and the courtesy light housing do the bulk of holding the panels in place. I'll post some pix when I'm done. Chumley