Anybody restored a Map Light rear view mirror?

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2010, 04:40 AM

Anybody restored a Map Light rear view mirror?

Hi Guys,

I don't think I've seen an original Map Light rear view mirror that hasn't clouded up. Has anybody undertaken the restoration of one of these mirrors? I'm wondering what's involved and how easy it is. Any info would be appreciated.

thanks,
bob
Old November 18th, 2010, 05:53 AM

The hardest part is taking the rubber gasket off that holds the mirror on. I soaked it in hot water and slowly pealed it back, took weeks to get off, can be done much faster I'm sure but I just did it little by little. You just need to be careful as the heat from the bulb inside the mirror typically has melted the back of that rubber seal onto the mirror so you don't want to rip it as you take the mirror out. Once you do that you can have the mirror re-silvered. I had it done here in Chicago - not many places left that will do that. I believe they charged $20 plus shipping. Mine looks great. You can get a repo piece of mirror or go to a glass shop but it will not be beveled like the factory glass.
Old November 18th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Registered

I sent my map light mirror glass to that place in Chicago about a year and a half ago along with a money order for 25 bucks and they resilvered it and sent it back within a couple of weeks, mine looks great too.
I think it's the same beveled glass as a regular non map light mirror?
You can get the lense and wiring harness repro, little sticker that goes on the bottom on how to replace the bulb if your year has it too.
I took my gasket off the same way, cleaned up the housing and mounting stalk on the buffer.
I checked and couldn't find a repo or NOS rubber gasket at the time so I cleaned my grease stained one and the day-night lever with Soft Scrub then a little Lemon Pledge and they look good, some guys paint them if they're too bad.

Silver Service, Inc.
16120 Vandustrial Lane
South Holland, Illinois 60473
708-331-5501
Old November 18th, 2010, 09:26 AM

that's the place I used