Acme Auto Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Aloha, Tony

Acme Auto Convertible Top

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has used a Acme Auto brand convertible top? I need to replace my top on a 1968 442 convertible. Rock Auto cost for all the necessary parts (top,glass window,pads,well liner & cables) $390. Got a quote from a local shop of $1590 installed, is labor really $1200?

Thanks much,

Tony
Old September 13th, 2015, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by 68442CONVERTCO
I was wondering if anyone has used a Acme Auto brand convertible top?
I know the coyote did while he was trying to catch the roadrunner, but I don't think it worked out too well for him.
Old September 13th, 2015, 10:01 AM

I believe Acme tops are more of an economy line, which is fine if you are making a parachute for a coyote, maybe not so fine for a really nice car. A premium Robbins top is probably going to push you near, or over, $700 for a glass window and all the fixings.

I would see what brand top the shop is quoting for that price. It usually is more than just flinging a top on, and can entail repairing or replacing tack strips, at least one or two broken screws, and maybe even some top frame repair. It's one of those things that look pretty easy on TV, and then can get a little hairy about the time it's too late to stop, lol!

You'll also probably want to replace the header seal, and the side seals, if old, as they are very difficult to re-use. And finally, trim shops use steamers to get that perfectly tight look. One or two times I've pulled it off without any steam, but there always seems to be a couple places it wouldn't hurt.
Old September 13th, 2015, 05:10 PM
Randy C.

The "Kee" brand convertible top is another brand that a lot of installers like to use. There are some brands that installers will absolutely not use. I don't know if Acme is one of them or not.

I had a Kee top installed, on my '68 4-4-2 back in 2007. It seems to me the top (including the glass window), plus the new cables, and new seals cost around $1000 installed, but that was 8 years ago. I didn't have to replace the tack strips or have any restoration done on the top frame as they were still in great condition.

With whatever top you buy, if you have it installed by a professional, make sure it is a top the installer will work with!

Randy C.
Old September 14th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 68442CONVERTCO
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has used a Acme Auto brand convertible top?
You should probably ask Wile E. Coyote...

Sorry, that was too easy.

Edit: Oops, I see Jaunty beat me to it. Oh well, I spend yesterday at the AACA museum.
Old September 14th, 2015, 08:44 AM

Doing a top takes a minimum of two people. Any shop will make at least 20% on parts. They will order it put the money out and lets face it they are in this to make a living too. It takes a few like 4-6 hours to do a top correctly., If they charge $80 an hour for two guys to do it. at just 5 hours per guy that is $800 so you can see this adds up quick.

I did my own. Have done 4 of them now. All came out great. But it did take two days and two people and a third would have been good at a few of the stages of it. I also cleaned and painted the top bows, replaced all the weatherstrips, and seals as well as the cables, top pump, fluid, lines, pads, well liner,snaps for boot, and the inserts in each bow that it is stapled too. I think I spent about $800 doing it myself. I used a Robbins. When doing this don't cut corners. It is easiest with the entire back seat and side trim panels out.

Hope this helps
Larry
Old September 14th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Aloha, Tony

So my first car was a 1974 Plymouth Road Runner. Used to watch the Bugs Bunny & Road Runner cartoon hour after school. Wonder if it's the same company that just diversified into convertible tops. How about a Acme product of the month club. Remember other cartoon characters also used Acme.

Jim - Watched a few install videos amazing how the ones sponsored by the sellers go on without a hitch. The one on Youtube by a custom interior guy seemed most realistic. Install went great, except it took him half a day to get the wrinkles out of the right rear. Granted this was a custom top on a show car that came out absolutely beautiful.

Randy - Thanks for the info. couldn't really find anything on Acme. Narrowed it down to Kee,EZ on, or Robbins.

Think I'm going to get a few more estimates and then decide. Car is currently a 20 footer, and I follow the over 60 rule... If it's over 60 Degrees the top stays down!